melmer

Destiny

I got my digital pre-load counting down, and I took tomorrow off from work. You can have the Titan, I get all the Warlocks.

My last post was an understatement. It's crazy fun. Highly addictive to just run about shooting things. I had a good solo story experience last night, then this morning I saved someone who was getting overwhelmed and he sent me an invite to party up. Chatted over morning coffee with some random guy. That's what I was hoping for, and I got it already. 

Still some things I don't understand. Looting isn't as obvious as I want it to be. It should shout at me when I get a new equipment, not a little ping in the top right. I also don't really get the currency, but that's less of an issue.

They spoke about it on the radio news, saying it was the most expensive piece of entertain created, dwarfing blockbuster movie budgets

They spoke about it on the radio news, saying it was the most expensive piece of entertain created, dwarfing blockbuster movie budgets

I wonder if they factor in advertising budget or if they were talking about purely development costs.

As far as I know GTA's usually are the most expensive video game produced, but their sales warrant a cost. To put so much money into development for a new IP is a bit crazy(as in interesting).

...and without having heard the segment, you've got to wonder whether it's the budget for the first game only, development budget + marketing costs, or the whole shebang somehow amoritized over the next 10 years of franchise empire building.

Still, the total is probably well up there.

I think they said £300 million / $500 million. Googling it, they reported on the cost of it back in June

I'd be really curious to know the general break down of that, I imagine it includes marketing, since that usually costs more or equal to the development. 

With GTA they have characters to scan, voice actors to pay, scouting locations, and other general development fees, so I can see that getting up there. But for a fantasy scifi world that, at least in my perception, isn't a massive amount of content, can only imagine it all went to high level contracts and marketing.

Apologies if this has been asked/posted elsewhere; but is there an Idle Thumbs clan being/already set up for Destiny. Of all the strangers on the internet, I trust all of you the most.

I’ve spent the last few years of my life working on Destiny. Usually I play a lot of artsy indie stuff, so it’s a little dumb that I finally registered here to play the most expensive game of all time (not really) with fellow Thumbs. But hey... you run around on the moon and shoot wizards. I literally had to keep that fact secret for so long, my brain almost exploded.

Also, my entire team now has entire conversations solely using the phrase “video games”, so congrats, I guess.

So the ps3 version is pretty awesome, I was expecting to be kind of a shit show but it is a fairly stable framerate. I think some of the menus are kind of obtuse and they don't really hold your hand with some stuff but having fun.

SCREENSHOT TIME

(Not really spoilers, just tagged to save screen space)

I stood around on one of the docking struts at the Tower for about ten minutes, and five or six people somehow misunderstood what I was doing and just jumped over the railing to their death trying to join me.

post-8476-0-46231600-1410326787_thumb.jpg

Also, it turns out the docking ramps that extend to the ships just poke right through the side of the tower, so, worst game ever.

Then I decided that since there's a dance button, I should obviously be trying to jump on top of things and dance.

The delivery kiosk:

post-8476-0-39497300-1410326788_thumb.jpg

The tree near the gunsmith (the leaves match my character's hair!):

post-8476-0-42650000-1410326790_thumb.jpg

A crystal lamp thing in a Hive base:

post-8476-0-71265500-1410326789_thumb.jpg

On a moon base lighting structure, maybe? The outer beams of the support structure are the only ones with collision, and there seems to be some physics-scripting in that volume that pushes you away if you fall into it.

post-8476-0-32325000-1410326791_thumb.jpg

The top of this moon dome is right on the edge of the RETURN TO THE PLAY AREA boundary, so I died.

post-8476-0-29577500-1410326792_thumb.jpg

In this one, I'm standing on an antenna. It's the little gray spike to the right of my floating foot. This one took a good while to jump up on, especially because there was an enemy I didn't take care of who was taking potshots at me. That glowy thing to the left of my head is a grenade!

post-8476-0-21541800-1410326793_thumb.jpg

And finally, dancing on a robot's desk. FUCK YOUR DESK, ROBOT.

post-8476-0-87444300-1410326793_thumb.jpg

Nice shots! In the future, there's no time for dancing and robots have lots of busy work to do...scary.

I also took a photo in the tree at the Tower. I was playing with how the camera focuses and blurs things just after you spin it around. 

Jr42zn1.jpg

OK IDLE THUMBS CLAN IS NOW SET UP :?

CLAN: http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/147032

It looks like they disabled the clan stuff after the beta and so we currently are just members of the IDLE THUMBS GROUP. I've now turned the CLAN features back on in the settings.

post-27841-0-61542800-1410341155_thumb.jpg

So, now after joining the group you can SET YOUR CLAN below the "Wizaaaaaaaaard". As ive joined the Playstation clan it has disappeared from my screenshot but you will see both

It looks like you can join both if you want but only if you have actually played the game on the system, so its not a platform specific clan and you aren't locked to a platform within the clan. phew

So um, if you are currently only a group member.... JOIN THE CLAN!

I’ve spent the last few years of my life working on Destiny. 

Congratulations, and thanks! What parts did you work on? 

I'm waiting on Destiny because I caved and picked up Diablo 3 for PS4, so it might be a few weeks before I pick this up.  Until then, what press I've been hearing for the game (some Polygon, some Giantbomb Cast) is very interesting.  There doesn't seem to be a precedent for the gaming press to all collectively take their time reviewing a big-budget hotly-anticipated game.  It feels weird to tune in and hear people in the middle of forming their opinions.  The carrot-on-the-stick line from Bungie that the game doesn't start until level 20 makes it even more complicated, because there's this collective feeling of, "well, we're in the middle of this thing, and we've been told it gets better, so bear with us..."

I find it fascinating!

Played a good few hours with a friend today; what a weird thing this game is. Like, I'm having fun but some of the design choices baffle me. The process of constantly jumping in and out of the same map while clearing missions has a weird disjointedness to it that makes me feel like I'm a particularly forgetful errand boy (which I debatably am but let's not get into that). The fact that all of the missions in a given area are connected to the same un-gated hub means that any given period of a few hours has no real logical, linear sense of progression, especially given that enemies of different levels tend to mix with one another in most areas. Also no moon gravity.

Having said that, I've definitely enjoyed what I've played so far. It's a game in which I can be a blue alien space lady shooting glowy magic at wizards and knights on the moon so how could I not enjoy it.

Watched about an hour of this on Twitch, and I get the feeling it just isn't my thing. I might Redbox the PS3 version.

I guess Ben Kuchera felt it necessary to stir up the PC port rumors again. I'm honestly kind of surprised there wasn't one day-and-date with the other four versions. I mean, if Ubisoft or EA can do it on an annual basis...

So, looking at side by sides, the PS3 version looks TOTALLY IDENTICAL (well, basically fine compared) to the PS4 version. 

Has anyone played on PS3? Does it suffer major performance hits or anything? I was considering getting a PS4 or waiting for a PC port, but the PS3 version looks pretty serviceable. 

I played the beta on PS3. It was totally fine, impressive even. But I was looking for an excuse to get a PS4 anyways, so.

Have put in a fair few hours over the last couple of days, so far feeling a bit mixed about it. Think having played the last few Halo games through, co-op only, has ruined the single player stuff for me a bit, just don't really enjoy doing any of the missions on my own.

When I do manage to join up with others though is when I'm having ridiculous amounts of fun, Strike missions especially. Just wish there was an easier way to get into co-op, even just randoms, on the regular quests.