melmer

Destiny

I just slew that very wizard, sad times.

So far I've played about two hours and I just keep being reminded how much I want a new Fallout game on PS4. 

I am NOT a person who plays FPS games, AT ALL. I like my games to feature plumbers or platforming or both. BUT, I own a PS3, and a buddy had a beta code, so we played for a few hours this afternoon. First, it's real pretty, even on what people are now considering "last generation hardware." I was disappointed that the moon wizard line was removed, because come on, if you're going to make a joke of it, keep it in the damn game. Fix the rest of the dialogue, but leave the trademark line.

d3AfrfX.png

Also, these Hive Acolytes look a lot like clowns. 

Anyone want to toss me a beta code via DM? The one I had isn't taking. :(

I had a lot of network errors earlier in the day, but they've cleared up this evening for me. Also, my games were super laggy but then I decided to hook up ethernet and a ton of it was cleared up. Hadn't played any competitive games on consoles in a little while, so I didn't need any ethernet until this.

Good lord that is indeed some terrible and unnecessary, expository writing. Literally everything could be cut out and it would instantly improve the experience.

I don't know.. I think that's the case for experienced players, and certainly the beta is mainly going to go to people who have experience of Bungie games... but to make the finances work, they need to sell to a lot of people - and people with PlayStations won't have have had a chance to play a Bungie game since Oni...

I'm starting to enjoy this! Just in time for them taking it offline for two days. I wasn't sure at first as I was playing alone and that's not really the idea but I've since explored with humans and done a bit of the PVP side of things and now I get a sense of how the upgrades and progression works it seems a lot more interesting than I'd first thought. The major downside is I am a shambles at the PVP stuff, all too reminiscent of Halo (which I was never good at) with people jumping all over the place headshotting me from the horizon. I'm not sure how much of it is me just being old or just unfamiliarity with the maps but I'm going to make a point of putting as much time as I can into this aspect for the rest of the beta to see if I'm spending £45 on it or not.

I think sniper rifles will have to be rebalanced, because there's basically no counter to them and special ammo is everywhere in PvP. It's not like Halo, where there's only one or two on the map and ammo is ridiculously scarce. They could either more severely limit ammo or make the sniper a heavy weapon for the sake of PvP.

I hope that they go a conventional route with PvP in the final game, because the territory control is getting old. I usually like Deathmatch and CTF gametypes and I think that those modes would be more complementary to the way the game and weapons feel.

I also hope that there are no shortage of "Strike" type PvE instanced dungeons, because I'm continuing to have a lot of fun with the one they included in the beta. The bosses are really fun to contend with.

I've had fun with my time as well. The combat feels good and the progression seems interesting, at least from the little bit we've been exposed to. I like that there's a good variety of enemy types with different AI. And having these kinda instanced overworld areas allows for some off the cuff coop without needing to actually team up with anyone if you don't want. I do think takes a bit too long to move between the city and the combat areas...why do I need to go back to orbit (and the load times that go with it) before starting my next mission? Especially when the next mission starts me in the exact same Earth overworld area. Really the city in general seemed dumb to me...like some weird MMO holdover that's purpose could be served easier and quicker by some menus.

I too am TERRIBLE at PvP. I feel I can put a little blame on rust, but then I was never great at Halo either (whatever that rank was in Halo 3 that you'd top out at if you sucked...that was me), so I know it can't be the deciding factor for me on getting this, because I'd only end up frustrated. But even with my lack of skills, it's overall been a lot more enjoyable than I expected. I was just playing the beta on a whim and am now pretty strongly considering picking the full game up.

I hope that they go a conventional route with PvP in the final game, because the territory control is getting old. I usually like Deathmatch and CTF gametypes and I think that those modes would be more complementary to the way the game and weapons feel.

Me too. I noticed the second option on the Crucible menu is a 6v6 team deathmatch so hopefully'll have a good selection of alternate modes.

I never got round to trying the Strike mission, how does that differ from the Story?

It's really interesting how you take your loadout directly into PvP. I skimmed some of the Something Awful thread for this game and there was talk of one or two guns and the Titan class being much better suited to PvP than others. It seems like long term balancing with this approach will be a big challenge...curious to see how it develops.

Me too. I noticed the second option on the Crucible menu is a 6v6 team deathmatch so hopefully'll have a good selection of alternate modes.

I never got round to trying the Strike mission, how does that differ from the Story?

The current Strike mission throws you through a gauntlet of enemies ending a set piece boss fight.

It's really interesting how you take your loadout directly into PvP. I skimmed some of the Something Awful thread for this game and there was talk of one or two guns and the Titan class being much better suited to PvP than others. It seems like long term balancing with this approach will be a big challenge...curious to see how it develops.

I feel like Titan has the least useful special in PvP - I've seen tons of people use both that Warlock black hole thing and the Hunter 3-shot mega pistol to great effect.

I think the Iron Banner is definitely the most interesting mode, because it actually takes the level and stats of your items into account for the PvP so it could really make grinding for good loot worthwhile in all aspects of the game.

I feel like Titan has the least useful special in PvP - I've seen tons of people use both that Warlock black hole thing and the Hunter 3-shot mega pistol to great effect.

I think the Iron Banner is definitely the most interesting mode, because it actually takes the level and stats of your items into account for the PvP so it could really make grinding for good loot worthwhile in all aspects of the game.

I think that Havoc is a pretty solid skill, but it's definitely meant for high aggression plays by the flags. I've seen Titans turn matches around quite a few times by flying into a flag room and wiping the floor with everyone in Havoc range. It has the advantage of proc'ing very fast, having invincible frames when it lands, and being an AoE so you don't need to be precise.

Ghost Gun has a long proc time where you can't move and are very vulnerable and the 3 shots disappear on a timer, so even though it seems like the strongest of the initial powers, it rarely is because of how difficult it is to use. The long the proc and short ability timer means you need to anticipate then deliver the actual shots accurately. The biggest advantage of Ghost is that it can be delivered at any range to three targets that aren't clustered.

Nova Bomb has range, unlike Havoc, but you're vulnerable for quite awhile as it procs. The larger AoE is compensated by travel time of the projectile and being vulnerable while proc'ing the super.

I kind of feel like all of the powers are overpowered in distinct ways, which is a good thing because it means that they're all "unfair" along different axes or rather they're very powerful in specific roles as opposed to generally strong. At a moderate range Nova Bomb wins over Havoc and Ghost Gun. At longer ranges Ghost Gun wins over Nova Bomb and Fist of Havoc. And at point blank Havoc wins over Ghost Gun and Nova Bomb.

its on like donkey kong

So strange that after only playing it for two days it left quite a big hole in my gaming life when it was down for maintenance. Its firmly got its hooks in me.

I had maxed out my wizard and got some pretty meaty guns just at the end, it's funny as i was playing the last story mission with a friend and my primary weapons seemed woefully underpowered and then i got a loot drop with a machine gun that did literally twice the damage. Which also allowed my to do ALOT better in the pvp.

I think tonight i'll start another class, maybe try hunter. (it's funny as my playstyle is 100% suited towards the titan, but being the bog standard soldier is a bit boring) Is there more classes in the final game?... No it doesn't look like it

Do you play with friends, with randomers, or alone Mington?

Edit: Actually, same question to everyone.

its on like donkey kong

So strange that after only playing it for two days it left quite a big hole in my gaming life when it was down for maintenance. Its firmly got its hooks in me.

I had maxed out my wizard and got some pretty meaty guns just at the end, it's funny as i was playing the last story mission with a friend and my primary weapons seemed woefully underpowered and then i got a loot drop with a machine gun that did literally twice the damage. Which also allowed my to do ALOT better in the pvp.

I think tonight i'll start another class, maybe try hunter. (it's funny as my playstyle is 100% suited towards the titan, but being the bog standard soldier is a bit boring) Is there more classes in the final game?... No it doesn't look like it

Well, the final game with have the different sub-classes so there might be room for greater variation there.

I gave my spare beta key to a friend and although unplanned spent 75% of my time with the game playing with him. Also, the PS4 comes with a mic which i had completely forgoten about. Some of the mission's require a 3 man team, so we've been buddied up with a couple of randomers. One of them would never revive us when we died so we just failed the mission over and over. I guess these randomers can hear our conversations? bit wierd, i was screaming at him :) I'M RIGHT HERE! COME ON DO IT! REVIVE ME! COME ON

I've also played a few hours with forum member James which has been a lot of fun

I'm starting to get back into the swing of co-oping with friends, at first it felt like a lot of effort, i just wanted to play my game on my terms, how and when i want, without having to make compromises with where to go and what to do and making chit chat. I could actually see my friend was playing it on the PSN app and decided not to start the game as i knew i'd get sucked back into a game with him. I need to be less of a lazy selfish baby as playing with him has actually been really fun, a lot more fun then it would have been playing alone. Its just hard to change that mindset when i've got so used to playing alone.

I wish there was more 'gestures', so you could just give someone a wave goodbye in game so you dont feel rude just leaving, and not have to go to all the trouble of sending a PSN message telling your co-op partner that you need to go for a big poop or whatever

sub-classes

:tup:

Thinking about it, i actually really like the mage class, to start with i wish it had an phsyical melee attack, but now ive got the energy drain it makes more sense. I think i might stick with them in the main game (although i did see they had very low armour, which isn't good for me as i like to get in amongst it)

My biggest worry about this is that it won't be fun to play alone. Most of my gaming is done in short 30mins-1hour chunks, then very occasionally I play for 2hours+. People don't tend to want to play with someone who only logs on for 30 mins. Similarly, if I'm only playing 30mins a day, I'll struggle to keep up with other people in terms of gear and levels and so will be stuck on my own.

If it's not fun single player, I think I might have to bow out and accept that Destiny, no matter how much I love the idea, probably isn't for me.

I don't know, it's easy enough to join someone's fireteam and tag along with what they're doing even if you're only online for a half hour. Plus, I feel like this'll be a game where I'll want to try out a couple/few characters so there's probably a chance you'll have friends with a character at/near your level at any given time.

Thus far, I feel like Destiny is still fun to play alone. The story missions feel like Halo missions with a similar pace/progression. They can be played co-op, but it's not necessary. The Strike mission was longer than most story missions, so I imagine you'd only be playing them when you had a larger chunk of time and could team up with a buddy or two. The loot drops in Strike seem to be better than any other mode, so I imagine even a higher-level player could be interested in running one of those with you.

I wish I had access to the beta to give the game a serious go. I wouldn't mind buying it to try, but considering it requires me to buy a PS4 & the game, it's a pretty big investment for something that I might not have fun with because I don't have a populated PSN friends list.