melmer

Destiny

(Can you see that? My YouTube linking is borked, it's just a big blank space where the video should be) anyway Vidoc is up, it's on their Facebook page

i453Akh2M1xRa.gif

Looks like halo :)

The embedded video works great. And you're right, the gameplay looks very Halo-ish, which makes sense. I wasn't expecting them to make a spiritual successor to Myth (even though that would be awesome).

I am totally okay with another Halo-style game on the market.

It's a weird and specific kind of shooter that isn't really being done by anybody other than Bungie and now 343, so there's probably room for one to coexist alongside Halo.

That is, of course, assuming that Destiny is just Halo again.

It's weird, Halo was the franchise that got me back into video games that weren't a couple of weeks of Football Manager every December. Halo 4 has completely failed to grab my imagination, and for the first time in a decade I'm just not that bothered about a Halo game. I would hope Destiny can turn that tide, because I really liked being into Halo. Then again, it seems it may not be on PC, and I'm hoping to make the jump to having an actually decent gaming PC later this year to avoid getting any of the new consoles...

Destinyyyy!

unicron.jpg

I'm usually not that into concept art, but man some of it is gorgeous.

I agree.. I just hope the gameplay does it justice.

Never played a Halo, but always liked the look of it!

I love the lore of this giant sphere that just showed up.

The giant sphere is pretty cool, although i do question why build Earths last city directly under it... what happens if it decides to stop hovering above the surface and crash into it. Also no one is going to be getting a sun tan.

The concept is neat. I wonder exactly how the multiplayer will be implemented. I was under the impression that this would be an MMO and I'm glad I was wrong about that. It looks like it will have something closer to a Journey/Dark Souls style of multiplayer? I'm interested in how they're going to balance narrative that places your custom character at the front of the story with always-on multiplayer. I wonder if there will even be an option to disallow other players to connect to your game. 

But- ever since Journey and Dark Souls came out I've really been hoping more developers would try doing something totally different with multiplayer, especially in a shooter! Sounds like that's what Bungie is going for. Maybe I'm being too optimistic though.

Yeah I was thinking it'd work like journey

I saw in the vidoc it had a menu screen where you could pick stuff like 'raid', so I guess you pick your mission type either with your friends or alone and they'll spawn you close another to other people for you to join up, or else you'll get plopped at the beginning of a level where someone else has already killed all the enemies.

I'm guessing these will be 'a to b' levels and not open world arenas. maybe a bit of both

The one thing I'm interested in is how will they treat friendly fire? :) maybe have a hardcore mode and try and capture some of that day z magic

This is like a really nice kickstarter video. Good job having competent concept artists, I guess?

This thing doesn't interest me in the least.

I bet they'll show at this Sony thing tomorrow.

We all know it's on new consoles, and "we got bungie" would be a suitably epic micro$uck pwnage move.

Yeah I was thinking it'd work like journey

I saw in the vidoc it had a menu screen where you could pick stuff like 'raid', so I guess you pick your mission type either with your friends or alone and they'll spawn you close another to other people for you to join up, or else you'll get plopped at the beginning of a level where someone else has already killed all the enemies.

I'm guessing these will be 'a to b' levels and not open world arenas. maybe a bit of both

The one thing I'm interested in is how will they treat friendly fire? :) maybe have a hardcore mode and try and capture some of that day z magic

I'm wondering if it's going to actually have a serious narrative or if all that stuff is just context for the gameplay. Can you ever "beat" the game? Or will it be a WoW style sort of thing where players can complete certain narrative events and new ones are continually introduced via patching? For such a long video that Bungie has released, I feel like I know pretty much nothing about this game. I can't remember the last time a game started off a big PR push this vaguely. 

It's frustrating to see what seems to be a nice sci-fi premise and know it'll just be used to justify shooting things (and eventually, will become top-heavy with increasingly boring strata of canon).

The giant sphere is pretty cool, although i do question why build Earths last city directly under it... what happens if it decides to stop hovering above the surface and crash into it. Also no one is going to be getting a sun tan.

I believe, from some of the info released during the Infinity Ward lawsuit, that the concept is that the sphere is protecting the last humans from something, thus it hovering directly above them like that.

The concept is neat. I wonder exactly how the multiplayer will be implemented. I was under the impression that this would be an MMO and I'm glad I was wrong about that. It looks like it will have something closer to a Journey/Dark Souls style of multiplayer? I'm interested in how they're going to balance narrative that places your custom character at the front of the story with always-on multiplayer. I wonder if there will even be an option to disallow other players to connect to your game. 

But- ever since Journey and Dark Souls came out I've really been hoping more developers would try doing something totally different with multiplayer, especially in a shooter! Sounds like that's what Bungie is going for. Maybe I'm being too optimistic though.

It's this new "quasi MMO" style that's all the rage, similar to Day Z and etc.

You go into area X, the server matches you up with an assortment of other random players, and says "now you guys form a P2P game". It's basically co-op matcmacking, but without ever waiting for a match to start or something.

I swear, every new bit of info that Bungie releases about this makes me think that my long-held dream of a Marathon revival is coming. Maybe not with Destiny, but eventually. They keep coming back to the basic story and design elements, and make various hints at it, but nothing ever happens.

The Traveler looks like a moon converted into a ship(much like the UESC Marathon was converted from Deimos), and the little info released about the aliens sounds like they resemble the Pfhor(the Fallen in particular look like Pfhor Hunters, and what has been shown of the Cabal looks like Pfhor Troopers and Drinniol). There's a screenshot floating around that has the Marathon logo in it, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

You did hear about those leaked documents, right?

A Marathon revival was specifically named as a thing that is in development with a small team inside Bungie.

As for Destiny/Marathon connections, i had also noticed that they're basically giving themselves a lot of room to tie Destiny back into Marathon. Also, unlike Halo, i believe their deal with Activision states that they retain control of Destiny once their ten year deal is over.

Alternatively, the first few Halo games were also crammed full of fan teases, and Halo still ended up becoming a wholly distinct thing from Marathon. I wouldn't count out the same thing happening with Destiny. (I mean, but as suggested above, Bungie not having complete control over Halo is really the main reason Halo had to become its own thing.)

No, I actually hadn't. That's fantastic news, though it looks like they can't even do anything with the IP until Destiny passes more than a quarter of a billion in sales(definitely not out of the question).

On one hand, I'm excited for this, and it may be the thing that will get me to purchase a new system, but I'm also worried about what Activision has planned. It's pretty obvious that they want to turn this into the new Call of Duty, and the hype conference from a few days ago shows that. Being locked into working on this single FPS IP until 2018 is crazy, in my opinion. Add in that they can't even talk to publishers about other games of the sort until 2021 is utterly mind-boggling. Yes, they make exorbitant amounts of money, but the cost of keeping Bungie tied down for the next 8 years could very well lead to another Infinity Ward-like burnout.

To be fair, both of those time frames are still less than the ten years they spent exclusively making Halo games.