Sign in to follow this  
sclpls

Imperialism v. Imperialism 2

So I see that these games are now available on GOG. Which game does everyone prefer? What are the main differences between the two? From what I understand they aren't radically different from one another, and hold up fairly well.

So I see that these games are now available on GOG. Which game does everyone prefer? What are the main differences between the two? From what I understand they aren't radically different from one another, and hold up fairly well.

I haven't played a ton of 2, but I preferred 1. The construction of rail lines and depots was what the first game was built for, and the second one (based in the era of Colonization) is kind of an awkward fit. The exploration of the map didn't really work for me, and there definitely seemed to be some resources that were almost required, and if you didn't get them it was basically game over. That having been said, the balance of 1 isn't great, and I was able to boil certain aspects of the game down to pretty rote, boring strategies (e.g. trading with minor powers).

I really need to revisit them both though, as it's been several years since I've played either one.

- Jon

Get the second one. It's better balanced and it holds up really nice. I've played it about an year ago.

Or get both because they are classics ;)

Yeah, at $6 a pop, I ended up buying both, but I'm playing the 2nd to start out for the superficial reason that the graphics are a little nicer. I'll get around to the 1st eventually though! ;-)

So far I'm loving this, and the game seems way ahead of its time in a lot of ways. The use of engineers, builders, and explorers vaguely feels like some sort of worker placement mechanic, and the conversion of resources into more valuable resources feels like an Uwe Rosenberg design. All that combined with a great diplomacy game! There's a lot to really enjoy here for sure.