melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

There's another Big DLC thing coming out for Destiny, i thought it would be finished with it by now and moved on making on Destiny 2 :shrug:

If you wanted to get into Destiny you'd probably have to pick up the Taken King (which includes all DLC) which is i'd guess is more like $30

destiny-leak-reveals-next-expansion-rise

PS4 Slim out next week for $299 and the PS4 Pro is out 11/10 for $399. All PS4s will get HDR support in a free update later this year.

EDIT: The Pro will not play 4K Blu-rays. O_o

I guess, outside hardcore film enthusiasts, that won't really matter?

Also, is that a hardware limitation, or something that they could patch in aftewards?

Well a current 4K blu-ray player is something like $200~300 so maybe the decoding tech required for it information that dense is just too much to put in a console that only costs $400.

Not really: an nVidia GTX960 is quite capable of doing hardware-accelerated decoding of h.264 at 4K resolutions. I'm assuming that the PS4 Pro's "4.2 TFlop AMD Radeon" should be able to beat that, given that that's almost twice a GTX960's measured compute power...  

(So, it's definitely fixable in software, I'd say.)

Well a current 4K blu-ray player is something like $200~300 so maybe the decoding tech required for it information that dense is just too much to put in a console that only costs $400.

The new Xbox One S has 4k Blu-ray support for $300 I think. Seems really odd that the Playstation doesn't have it, but I don't think its actually that big a deal.

I did not expect PS4 Pro to not support 4k Blu-ray, mainly because I have traditionally considered (perhaps erroneusly) Playstation as the main platform for Sony to showcase the awesomeness of Blu-Ray.

Anyway, I don't currently have a 4k TV so whatever, who cares...

You also have to consider that the vast majority of people these days just use Netflix for streaming.

(I have no idea if this is even remotely true. But it's definitely true for the vast majority of people I personally know!)

4K Blu-Ray capability was the exact reason I was waiting for this console, even though I don't currently have a 4K screen. I expect a console I buy now to last me at least 5 years and I'll likely get some kind of 4K capable imaging device before that.

I think the PS4 Pro is very much a ‘wait and see’ for me. I have no plans to buy a 4K TV any time soon, so the performance boost is the main appeal at the moment, but I’m really curious as to just how much improvement we can expect from this thing. I would have liked to have seen some kind of solid feature-based reason to upgrade: perhaps some kind of backwards compatibility, to bring it in line with the Xbox One…

Lack of support for 4K Blu-rays is odd, especially since support for the new 4K standard seems to be one of the main reasons these new boxes are coming into existence. But it’s not a deal-breaker for me. We are so early into support for 4K generally; even DVDs still seem to be bumbling along in the background. I wonder if Sony have seen the numbers on existing Blu-ray disc sales vs streaming, and are doubting that they’ll be shifting so many new discs to make it worth the extra expense of fitting a better drive at this stage. 

(Also it's worth noting that AFAIK, 4K Blu-rays aren't backwards compatible with existing Blu-ray players, which might hamper the range of films released on that format in the short term.)

Hmmm, I have a 4k tv and was already planning on getting a ps4 and not supporting 4k blurays is kind of a bummer. Not that I plan on watching a lot of 4k movies, but it's weird. I might just get a used vanilla ps4 if they become cheap due to people upgrading to the pro. For what it's worth I don't really care about 4k I only have it because most newer tvs have it now and I happened to buy a TV this year.

Bought my ps4 last year, no way I'm buying a new one already. I would much rather spend that money on PC parts. The thing I'm most interested in is how this will affect the performance of games on regular ps4s going forward.

I'll pick one up at some point as I do have a 4K monitor (Though the PS4 I already have looks fine on it) but I think I'll hold out for a solid bundle. And by the time it comes out I'll have done all my major PS4 gaming for the year already.

Lack of support for 4K Blu-rays is odd, especially since support for the new 4K standard seems to be one of the main reasons these new boxes are coming into existence. But it’s not a deal-breaker for me. We are so early into support for 4K generally; even DVDs still seem to be bumbling along in the background. I wonder if Sony have seen the numbers on existing Blu-ray disc sales vs streaming, and are doubting that they’ll be shifting so many new discs to make it worth the extra expense of fitting a better drive at this stage. 

(Also it's worth noting that AFAIK, 4K Blu-rays aren't backwards compatible with existing Blu-ray players, which might hamper the range of films released on that format in the short term.)

If you do some searching you'll find that DVD sales are much much higher than Blu-ray, it's a format that never really took off in the way DVD, CD, MP3 and VHS did. I'd imagine it's partly that 4K is a subset of the smallest physical media market and they don't see it as worth it and partly that they see the future in streaming. Andrew House did mention in an interview on The Guardian that they see streaming as the horse to back. (link: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/08/playstation-boss-andrew-house-ps4-pro-our-approach-isnt-reactive-this-time-around)

More info on blu-ray sales here: http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/DVDGuy/2014/12/19/blu-ray-the-state-of-play-december-2014/

If you do some searching you'll find that DVD sales are much much higher than Blu-ray, it's a format that never really took off in the way DVD, CD, MP3 and VHS did. I'd imagine it's partly that 4K is a subset of the smallest physical media market and they don't see it as worth it and partly that they see the future in streaming. Andrew House did mention in an interview on The Guardian that they see streaming as the horse to back. (link: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/08/playstation-boss-andrew-house-ps4-pro-our-approach-isnt-reactive-this-time-around)

More info on blu-ray sales here: http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/DVDGuy/2014/12/19/blu-ray-the-state-of-play-december-2014/

If so, it's a sign that Sony's much more international than Japanese in outlook. Japan's been very slow to adopt streaming in cases where it would compete with physical media, but the argument for no 4K drive that I'm hearing from Andrew House, Playstation president, is that it's cheaper to deploy 4K content via streaming than via hardware, which is... I don't know. It seems ambitious, considering that 4K streaming is mostly a whiteboard idea for consumer households.

In the US, Streaming may be viable. In Estonia there's Netflix with a dismal selection of a few hundred movies. No 4K AFAIK. There's Mubi but that's more like a theater with only a few movies playing. Of course Estonia isn't big enough to be in anybody's business plans anyway (we're not even in the list of PSN countries), but I can order physical media from anywhere (ok, from he UK if I want English subs) and it's the most reliable way to play quality content. About legal downloads for movies, I'm not aware of any serious efforts to do that.

Also, isn't Blu-Ray mainly Sony's format? Why would they neglect their own.

Out of curiosity does anyone here currently watch 4k content via streaming? I have the Netflix package that let's me watch 4k stuff but my Internet is right on the edge of being able to keep up and having the quality settings go up and down multiple times throughout a show is just distracting.

Also, the popularity of DVD is a total mystery for me. I don't ever plan to buy one again (I only have bought docs like Get Lamp) and it's bothering me that they are often placed among Blu-Rays on shelves so it's hard to tell the difference.

Lurking in the background of all this is Playstation Vue, which is Sony's plan to usurp cable providers by streaming live TV channels through your PS4 (or PS3/Vita/smartphone/tablet). There's another potential route to 4K content there that Microsoft isn't taking.

The service seems to have launched to a somewhat mixed, muted response so far. It's a fairly ambitious concept, but I would imagine it could take years for them to negotiate worldwide media deals that can approach the kind of comprehensive local service offered by cable companies. Certainly the likes of Virgin and Sky in the UK would have every reason to try to stonewall them out of their market.

But I kind of hope it's good? I for one wouldn't mind dumping my separate cable box and having everything just coming down one fat interweb pipe. (Until PSN goes down, anyway.)

I didn't even realise that 4k streaming already existed.

I did (mainly because YouTube announced that they now support 4k uploads), but given I don't have any display devices capable of that resolution (my desktop monitors are two old sub 1080p LCD displays, and who owns a 4K TV?), I've never really felt the need to try it...

I did (mainly because YouTube announced that they now support 4k uploads), but given I don't have any display devices capable of that resolution (my desktop monitors are two old sub 1080p LCD displays, and who owns a 4K TV?), I've never really felt the need to try it...

Wait, I tell a lie. I know that 4k media was/is/will be produced because of working in the animation industry. Weirdly, it just didn't occur to me that it existed as a concept for regular people who're just watching stuff.

I was mostly disappointed that they didn't announce an elite controller equivalent. I would kill to play Bloodborne with some back pedals. Plus my DS4s keep breaking in minor but annoying ways and it would be nice to have one that's more durable. Hopefully the new model they're putting out is better built. :/