melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

Thanks all!  Definitely doesn't sound like a good birthday game, so I'll find something else. 

Suspend feature had been amazing!  I feel like it was made with Ubisoft open-world games in mind.  By the time my tv is on, Farcry4 is booted up and ready to go.  I can pick one of the million things to do, go do it, then pause and suspend the system and feel satisfied. There's no obligation to play more because I didn't have to sit through the 2 minute system start-up, then game start-up.  My day can be peppered with mini-accomplishments now!!  :D

It also feels so much more focused.  No more decision-making when the system boots up.  I'm not presented with my backlog.  I'm not tempted by Destiny.  It feels great.

Is it my PS4 or does suspend mode not resume properly on Bloodborne if you're playing online due to the network connection briefly being lost and it kicking you back to the main menu? I have it set to maintain connection in rest mode so not sure what more I could do. Not that it really matters in a game where you can save at any point but it'd spare me one of those epic loads at least.

I have ordered Disgaea 5 this morning! Excited. I am not going to see daylight for a while with that, both From games and Xenoblade out this week too. What a time to be alive.

I hear that in Bloodborne, there's a known bug whereby if you turn off the PS4 without properly exiting the game, it can make you not able to load your save. But you can get it back. This might have been discussed in the Bloodborne thread though, I've been avoiding it because I'm getting the game today (hopefully)

It wouldn't surprise me if it did boot you off as soon as you suspend though, given how important the online aspect of the game is, and how lame it would be if you get killed because you're idling in suspended mode.

After an amusing fight in Bloodborne, I managed to save the clip with the PS4 record feature. How the hell do I extract it from the machine and turn it into a gif? 

It seems like I must be part of some social network (no thanks) to do so. In which case the clip will never see the light of day.

I heard that you can only suspend/resume in offline mode of Bloodborne. Don't know if that's changed since Bloodborne's launch, but it makes sense to me.

I saw some people saying that the suspend/resume feature disables co-op and invasions in Bloodborne until you do a full proper reset of the game.

After an amusing fight in Bloodborne, I managed to save the clip with the PS4 record feature. How the hell do I extract it from the machine and turn it into a gif? 

It seems like I must be part of some social network (no thanks) to do so. In which case the clip will never see the light of day.

I believe you can use the "Capture Gallery" app (don't know if I got the name of that right) along with a USB thumb drive to transfer screenshots/videos for use on your computer. From there you can GIF it through whatever means one does that, or just publish the video on YouTube or something.

I saw some people saying that the suspend/resume feature disables co-op and invasions in Bloodborne until you do a full proper reset of the game.

Oh really?

Man I've been using that feature non-stop, and now I'm just disappointed... It's such an amazing feature. Takes like thirty seconds to get back into the game. ):

The rest feature is fantastic, it's a shame there are hiccups but I'm sure it's nothing that can't be fixed in a patch. As long as the console OS throws some kind of restore event to the game then it can re-initialize whatever feature is spotty. They developed and released the game without being able to test the feature so it's only natural that it could cause problems, especially in an always-online game like Bloodborne. I'm wondering if other games are having issues, like Destiny for instance.

Yeah for sure, it seems like it's just a few issues at the initial launch of a super-rad feature. Hope they get it sorted sooner, rather than later.

The rest feature is fantastic, it's a shame there are hiccups but I'm sure it's nothing that can't be fixed in a patch. As long as the console OS throws some kind of restore event to the game then it can re-initialize whatever feature is spotty. They developed and released the game without being able to test the feature so it's only natural that it could cause problems, especially in an always-online game like Bloodborne. I'm wondering if other games are having issues, like Destiny for instance.

From what I've read, anything requiring a connection to play has issues with suspend, which kinda makes sense. I've heard Destiny kicks back to title screen.

I don't know that it's something they could patch, unless the games/servers would somehow recognize it as just idling, which probably ends up being quite a bit different in the backend than just suspending a single player game.

I think they explicitly stated somewhere that the suspend/resume feature is not supported for online games. From what I've read it works with pretty much any game that doesn't require you to have a connection.

And it doesn't really make sense to support this for online games in my opinion. I would imagine that would create some unnecessary additional load on backend servers to support maintaining a bunch of connections from consoles that are in rest mode for most hours of the day.

Edit: pretty much what J.C. said.

There's literally no reason they have to keep the player online the whole time it's in rest mode. Dunno why anyone would suggest that! That's crazy talk. You just send a simple "reconnect" message to the game, and the game handles it form there (which most games should definitely easily be able to handle from there, because any game worth its salt should have that basic functionality built in for when that shit happens from networking hiccups or whatever else could happen...).

Them solving this technical hurdle would be a good time to implement some kind of real boundaries on what constitutes an offline, online, and semi-online game and build suspend policies accordingly. If it's a binary choice then that might limit certain games that make of subtle connectivity and hybrid games.

An idle client would have 0 impact on the servers. It wouldn't be sending any requests so the server wouldn't have to send any responses. It's likely they send a regular ping to check if the client is still running/online, though it's more likely the client would be sending these rather than the server. Even if the server is pinging the client then they'd just see an idle client as a disconnected one. For an MMO or any other synchronous multiplayer this would be identical to pulling out your internet cable mid-session. When you resume you should be back in a menu or see a "disconnected" prompt or something. For asynchronous games like Bloodborne it doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to just resume the session seamlessly. I wonder if it would have the same connection problems if you pulled the cord then put it back.

I wonder if it would have the same connection problems if you pulled the cord then put it back.

Yeah that's exactly the problem here. It's functionally the same thing as unplugging your internet (through whatever means) and then plugging it back in. Or, at least, it should be functionally the same thing. I don't even think it's worth considering staying connected to the servers as if you were an idle client. That's just silly and a waste of resources, however minuscule. Disconnect on rest, and reconnect on unrest.

Or, to put it in a way that the game is more likely to do things if rest mode doesn't communicate with the game at all*: 1) enter rest mode, SERVER detects inactivity, automatically disconnects; 2) exit rest mode, GAME detects inactivity, automatically reconnects. Networking 101!

*There's probably functionality somewhere in the OS so the game knows it's entering rest mode and can gracefully disconnect. If there's not, there should be, and for exiting rest mode, too.

You can't even turn off the automatic screen dimming on the Vita after three years on the market. I think you're giving Sony far too much credit as to how much work they're willing to do on a feature once it's out there.

In this case (Bloodborne) it's not even Sony that has to do the work. Actually, in every case.

This suspend feature seems amazing, always wanted something like this in home consoles, it's great on handhelds.

Well, my PS4 arrives at home in a few hours. Totally excited. The rest of the week is holiday where I work, so I'll have plenty of time to play with it. I have Infamous Second Son and Driveclub. Does anyone else here has Driveclub? I don't usually play multiplayer games, but feel free to add me, my PSN ID is umsobre2. it will be way better to play with you guys :)

I do! It's quite good now it's not hopelessly broken, I plan on getting the season pass which I never thought I'd say although you do get a ton of content without it. Even if we can't play simultaneously it's a lot of fun sending out challenges to friends too.

PS+ for april has been announced. The list is as follows:

• Tower of Guns (PS4, PS3)
  • Never Alone (PS4)
  • Dishonored (PS3)
  • Aaru’s Awakening (PS3, PS4)
  • Killzone Mercenary (PS Vita)
  • MonsterBag (PS Vita)

Honestly I'm a bit bummed, as I already own Dishonored, Never Alone and Tower of Guns on the PC. But I might play Tower of Guns again.

The only game I'm looking forward to is Aaru's Awakening, which is a game I was very close to buying the other day.