melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

Re: Helldivers' crossplay

I'm assuming this is something they're going to fix, but this game currently doesn't have any way to invite someone to your game. Lots of seemingly basic PSN functionality isn't present. The cross-play doesn't seem to be quite 100% yet; I saw YoThatLimp playing the game (on PS3) on my friends list, but within Helldivers itself, it only showed them as online, not as playing the game. That said, apparently people have had luck joining a random's game and playing together on different systems that way. It's weird.

Was that game actually good? I looked at it briefly when it came out on Steam a long while ago, but it never caught my interest.

No idea :) but it's the only bullet hell shump in ps4 so I grabbed it

I think I remember people saying it was alright.

No online co-op, could be a deal breaker for some peeps

I played it on Steam, it was fun and short, but I'm absolutely awful at schmups and was never able to beat the last level. 

Yeah I've at a few runs at the last level and haven't between it yet. I actually find the boss part easier than all the moving bullshit that happens during the level, can't say I'll be replaying that one much. The rest if the game is super fun though.

The two new levels are really good and introduces all new enemy types.

Watch me wreck shit (albeit on the normal difficulty)

I am not good at shmups, so there's that. That said, I loved Jamestown a lot. It's a really fun game and the story is bonkers.

Bloodborne is 6 days away. I'm champing at the bit. Demon's Souls reinvigorated my love of games and was the only reason at the time that I didn't regret buying a ps3 since The Last Guardian never came. 

I really want to play Bloodbourne while it's fresh, exploring DS2 in the first couple of weeks when no one knew what the hell was going on was a blast.  I just know what my schedule is like over the coming months and I'm not seeing any chances to get deep into it. 

I really want to play Bloodbourne while it's fresh, exploring DS2 in the first couple of weeks when no one knew what the hell was going on was a blast.  I just know what my schedule is like over the coming months and I'm not seeing any chances to get deep into it. 

Yeah, I completely agree. Knowing nothing made DaS one of the best gaming experience of last gen for me. I got so lost while being scared of every corner with no guides or faqs to tempt me. I didn't even know that you could cut off the tails of bosses until my third run. I'm hoping for a similar experience this time through as well. 

Hopefully I haven't learned too much about how the team at From thinks from their last three games to kind of recognize everything already. Perhaps they'll have some more surprises up their sleeves. 

So I've been playing a lot of OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood. It's fantastic. Just like the difference between THPS1 and 2, it keeps the formula that made the first one so good, and iterated on it. 

If you've never played the first one, it's essentially a skateboarding endless-runner a la canabalt, apart from it ends, and isn't random. 

It also controls like skate, flicking the left stick to do tricks, jumps and grinds. inputting quarter circles and holding R/L mixes up the tricks into more impressive (and higher scoring) tricks. grinds are also done by pushing the stick in a direction before you hit the rail. And then there's the final button, the X button that lands the trick, giving you a rating from sloppy to perfect depending on how close to the ground you are before you press X. Which is infuriating after a level-long combo, you forget to press X and either fall, or get a sloppy and lose your stupidly high score.

The two main additions to 2 that makes it so much better than 1 are grind switching (when grinding on a rail, move the stick to another direction and press x), which keeps the speed up over a long rail, as well as increase your combo, and Manuals, which keeps the combo going on flat land, which is a perfect risk/reward scheme, because you could finish a presumably already high combo, or try to continue it to get an even higher score. Especially on the later levels, which get progressively harder to finish.

After the initial struggle with the controls, this all gives you a kinda zen-like state as you mix tricks, grinds and manuals to finish levels and complete level objectives. It's really fun and satisfying when you complete a level in one long 50x combo.

also unlike the first game, there's a really good tutorial that teaches you everything.

My only problem with OlliOlli2 is the same with the first one. It takes a while to get the correct speed needed to input the tricks, as it doesn't seem to register quick flicks, meaning you have to do a more controlled, slower flick. And then with the more involved ones, it just never works. I have yet to pull off all the tricks because going from left to down, then going back to left and then up just never seems to work for me.

So yeah! OlliOlli2 guys! who's been playing it?

I know! It's amazing how natural to the flow doing manuals are. It would be awesome to play 1 with manuals put in. It can't be that hard, right?

Yeah, Olli Olli 2 is amazing, but also hard as shit. I'm playing on Vita, because it's kinda perfect for a handheld. Also, no input lag on the Vita, which is only really noticeable if you play both.

In the first game I unlocked every Pro stage, finished all challenges for the first 3 tiers of Pro levels, and have some number of challenges on every level in the last two tiers of Pro levels.

Olli Olli 2? I still haven't unlocked the last 6 pro levels, have five starred none of the pro levels. A real increase in difficulty.

I never played Olli Olli, but damn am I ever liking Olli Olli 2. Haven't made it past the carnival stages though, I keep losing speed on some of the longer grinds. Grind switches don't seem to always work for me for some reason. Might be that I accidentally switch directions before I press X and that screws it up?

I haven't noticed grind switching to have any real impact on speed. The big factor in those long grinds are the length of the grind, and whether or not you landed a perfect grind.

If you're talking about one of those areas where you have a long rail with spikes on the floor and ceiling, the key is to land on the rail as close to the ceiling spikes as possible and getting the grind timing perfect. You're not going to come out the other side with very much speed, but you should be able to make it out.

If you don't have the ceiling with spikes, the key to keeping up your speed is to flip trick to a new grind (keeping in mind you really, really want to get a perfect grind). Do that before you start to lose speed while grinding and you can go basically infinitely.

I'll have to try that, thanks for the tips! I've definitely noticed that getting a perfect grind affects the speed. Gotta be more conscious of that.

Switching between OlliOlli2 and Trials Fusion's DLC, my girlfriend is now asking when I turn on the PS4 "Is this the game where you fall off the bike a lot or the game where you fall off the skateboard a lot?"

Jamestown+ freakin rules. I'm currently 22nd, 48th and 57th on the leaderboards for the first three levels which I'm quite chuffed about

I'm not doing to bad in the challenges either

Althoooooooough, I feel like I've probably got as far as I can with it as in all the levels and challenges I haven't completed yet seem quite a bit beyond my skill set.

I have been really loving Olli Olli 2. Have finished but not 5-stared all the normal levels but cant quite bring myself to try out the hard mode. Does anyone know if there is a colourblind mode or maybe character skinning options? The first four enviroments were fine but I found the last to be really difficult to pick out the character from the background. 

The Order was pretty much universally panned, wasn't it?  My daughter mentioned it as something to get her for her birthday, which I don't pay much attention to review scores anymore, but I do pay attention when no one has anything good to say about a game. 

I've heard one person (in real life) say semi-positive things about it. But it was mostly "it looks pretty", which is the most useless thing to say about a game (as much as I like pretty games).

Yeah, most things I've seen are that it has a passable-but-short campaign and nothing else really going on for it.

I thought it was alright. Kept me interested enough to complete it, I enjoyed it and felt it was worthy if my time. It kept teasing at being something bigger/better but never delivered :/ It does look reeeeally pretty though.

Grunty old Galahad the mass murder.

The Order was pretty much universally panned, wasn't it?  My daughter mentioned it as something to get her for her birthday, which I don't pay much attention to review scores anymore, but I do pay attention when no one has anything good to say about a game. 

Redbox that shit.

It's a game you sit down and play once.