melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

OK, so as someone who just bought a PS4 and lives by himself: should I worry about buying a 2nd controller anytime soon? Do you guys use more than one controller often? In which situations? 

OK, so as someone who just bought a PS4 and lives by himself: should I worry about buying a 2nd controller anytime soon? Do you guys use more than one controller often? In which situations? 

The main benefit to two controllers is when one dies you can switch to the other and keep playing. The included charge cable is way too short, so unless you've got a longer one, the only way to play while it charges is to sit right beside your console.

My girlfriend doesn't really game so I don't need a second controller for that, though it'd be nice to have so if a friend comes over we can both play.

Assuming you're just playing solo stuff, the cost effective solution is to buy a long USB cable for $5 from monoprice or wherever for those fun/sad marathon sessions. One related accessory that I have and really like is a charging cradle. Instead of having to get out the cable when the battery is low (which for the PS4 is pretty often), I can just drop it on the dock whenever I'm not using the system. I think it was $20?

The main benefit to two controllers is when one dies you can switch to the other and keep playing. The included charge cable is way too short, so unless you've got a longer one, the only way to play while it charges is to sit right beside your console.

My girlfriend doesn't really game so I don't need a second controller for that, though it'd be nice to have so if a friend comes over we can both play.

This is my situation verbatim.  Second controller is hidden away plugged into the ps4 waiting for the first controller to die.  I've recently made local friends, though!  That second controller might actually come in handy!

The battery life on the PS4 controller is stupidly short, it's definitely worth getting a longer charging cable.

Assuming you're just playing solo stuff, the cost effective solution is to buy a long USB cable for $5 from monoprice or wherever for those fun/sad marathon sessions. One related accessory that I have and really like is a charging cradle. Instead of having to get out the cable when the battery is low (which for the PS4 is pretty often), I can just drop it on the dock whenever I'm not using the system. I think it was $20?

As a longtime proponent of charging docks, I approve of this course of action.

The charging dock is great, but I agree that a second controller is almost worth having just so you can swap if your controller dies. That said, far from essential particularly if you don't mind taking a break or playing corded. It may also be worth having a second controller if you don't have a controller to use with your PC, I know a lot of people who use it for their PC games and enjoy it.

I have to say, I always thought charging cradles were a bit silly...but I really like the one my daughter bought for the PS4.  It saves having a cable draped anywhere, and the dock sits nicely hidden in the shadow of a speaker.   Plus if you get good about putting it on the dock each evening, you always know where a controller is when you're ready to play. 

Docks are great if you're using the PS4 (or whatever) to watch Netflix. That ridiculous light rinses the battery even when the controller is just sat there.

I could turn it off...but then I can't pause quickly if I need to.

I know it's a long shot since the networking thread has been dead for months, but does anybody still play Destiny? It's one of the only games I have time to play anymore, hit me up if you ever want to do weeklies or raids or whatever. PSN: Wracketeer

I'll be on from time to time but I'm barely at around level 20 and haven't even touched strikes or raids or any of that stuff.

Ok, I'm gonna go Full Grandma for a second here and ask really obvious dumb questions.

After lamenting Helldivers I noticed it's also on PS3 and it's cross play/cross buy. That means that if I buy it for PS3 I will own it for all the devices it's released for? So when I inevitably break down and get a Quad I will instantly own it? And I also can play with you all on your fancy PS4s and Vitae?

Additional question, is multiplayer now paywall locked for all Sony devices? That's one of the reasons I got a PS3, no additional cost multiplayer. I just don't use it enough to justify the monthly fee (YET (?)).

Ok, I'm gonna go Full Grandma for a second here and ask really obvious dumb questions.

After lamenting Helldivers I noticed it's also on PS3 and it's cross play/cross buy. That means that if I buy it for PS3 I will own it for all the devices it's released for? So when I inevitably break down and get a Quad I will instantly own it? And I also can play with you all on your fancy PS4s and Vitae?

Additional question, is multiplayer now paywall locked for all Sony devices? That's one of the reasons I got a PS3, no additional cost multiplayer. I just don't use it enough to justify the monthly fee (YET (?)).

You should see in the browser interface what platforms cross-buy would apply to. Some games will say PS3 | PS Vita, others will say PS3 | PS Vita | PS4 and a couple other combinations. Usually multiplayer is limited to a single platform unless otherwise indicated. Multiplayer is paywall locked on PS4, not on PS3 and Vita. And again, I'd not consider PS+ a monthly fee... it's so often on offer for $40/year that saying $10/month is kinda silly. I do however empathize with not using a device enough to justify a monthly fee, I did it for years with XBL but recently with their addition of Gold Free Games (similar to the Instant Collection for PS+) I've found it worthwhile to just pony up.

I'm not sure if you can play across platforms. That'd be something to test. I'd assume PS4/Vita is more likely than having PS3 in the same mix, but hard to say.

PS+ is required to play online on PS4, but like JonCole said, it's cheap enough and you get free games every month out of it, so it's loads better than the average subscription fee.

Edit: you can pay by month. Do not do this. If you do it monthly, it's absolutely not worth it. I think the scale is 1 month for $9.99, 3 for $17.99, and 1 year for $49.99.

Folks I agree that PS+ is a good service. You don't need to convince me! :)

My playstation is not currently even plugged in. I am trying to determine

1) If I buy Helldivers for PS3 and go to the trouble of plugging the damn thing in, would I also own it for other Sony things? (seems like yes)

2) Would I be able to play with people who aren't on a PS3? (Ok this is definite yes. Places (like wikipedia (also the purchase page)) say cross play)

3) Would I have to pay literally any dollars beyond the fee of purchasing the game to play multiplayer, regardless of the wonderfulness of spending that money? (seems like no)

Source: an image on reddit http://i.imgur.com/UdfeX2c.jpg

1) If I buy Helldivers for PS3 and go to the trouble of plugging the damn thing in, would I also own it for other Sony things? (seems like yes)

2) Would I be able to play with people who aren't on a PS3? (also seems like yes, places (like wikipedia) say cross play)

3) Would I have to pay literally any dollars beyond the fee of purchasing the game to play multiplayer, regardless of the wonderfulness of spending that money? (seems like no)

1) Yes.

2) Not sure, will try to test this weekend and I'll let you know.  Looked around and yes, you can play with anyone on any of the Sony systems, which is awesome!

3) On PS3 and Vita, no. PS4, yes.

Cross-play generally refers to a persistent save across platforms, not necessarily multiplatform multiplayer fwiw. That's not to say it doesn't have it.

Cross-play generally refers to a persistent save across platforms, not necessarily multiplatform multiplayer fwiw. That's not to say it doesn't have it.

The PS Blog post specifically says "Helldivers features cross play, cross chat, and cross save between PS4, PS3 and PS Vita." I can't see them splitting them like that without good reason.

Ah my mistake, I was in fact thinking about "cross-save". They really could benefit from a slightly more differentiated naming scheme, huh?

Oh for sure. Another thing they could do is make their "cross-whatever" a bigger deal. If you look on the PS Store, it's usually a small thing near the bottom of the description. Seeing the terms more often would help make it clearer what they are.

I don't think there are any other games that are cross-play in the same sense that Helldivers is. I know there are some that are PS3/Vita or PS4/Vita, but even then it's rare.

There are a few of us that still do, but due to time differences we have rarely been able to play together. I'll go ahead and add you though.

I'll be on from time to time but I'm barely at around level 20 and haven't even touched strikes or raids or any of that stuff.

Awesome, well hit me up if you ever see me online.

Sorry for not getting chance to play Helldivers with anyone this weekend - I was pretty busy. I got in a lot of games at weird times though, managed to rank up to level 13. The missions on difficulty 10/11 are just fantastic. They're so frantic, and you can't stand, kill and stabilise, it's all about constantly being on the move and only stabilising when you have to (e.g. at defend this point). It's a shame that the Matchmaking rarely has people doing missions over level 5.

I want a APC. Those things are freaking cool.

I've also come to the realisation that Helldivers is an amazing game when things are going badly, well, and good. However, as soon as you get someone in your party who is a liability, it turns un-fun.