melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

Just installed a 1.5TB HDD in my PS4. Fairly effortless process, minus the fact that I have to redownload everything.

It doesn't void any warranties, Sony even has a guide (although it's not great) to do it. I used this guide from IGN that lays out the process fairly well - http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Replace_a_PS4_Hard_Drive

I looked at a handful of drives, but they were all relatively expensive. I found out that a lot of people were just getting portable external drives and taking off the casing, since most of them are just regular 2.5" drives with a SATA/USB adapter. It just so happened that Newegg had a sale on this Seagate drive, which I got for $60 -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178649

I watched this YouTube video to figure out how to remove the casing - 

The benefit of this process is that a 1TB Seagate notebook drive is $75, so you straight up save money granted you find it on sale. Otherwise, the Seagate portable HDD I got has the exact same kind of drive that the PS4 packs in (Seagate Momentus XT), for what that's worth. Plus if you're careful tearing apart the casing, you can use the old drive from the PS4 in it.

There's also the possibility of throwing a 7200RPM or SSD hybrid drive in there, but I don't have the funds to do that and I didn't find the performance gains (of which there are some) to be so wildly good to necessitate spending more.

Does PS4 have the same issue as PS3 where it slows down if you put too big a hard drive in it? I've got a 500GB drive in my PS3 and it'll occasionally hang for a second during gameplay. Apparently this can happen if you go over something like 320GB for the system.

I've never noticed that on my PS3, I imagine it's because of the multiple platters in a bigger drive. If you're really concerned about it, you could get a Hybrid drive that comes with a built-in 4GB of flash memory that acts as a cache and would certainly reduce overall latency.

PS+ games this month:

Entering PS Plus:
4th March: Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty
4th March: Valiant Hearts
4th March: Papo and Yo
4th March: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
4th March: OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood (PS4/PS Vita)
4th March: CounterSpy (PS4/PS3/PS Vita)

This is also your last chance to pick up Yakuza 4 if you haven't already. (and why haven't you?)

I can't wait to play OlliOlli 2. I loved the first one so much, hopefully it'll be more of the same. I've also not played Oddworld or valiant hearts, and I've heard good things. This month is a good month.

This is a great month indeed. Aside Papo and Yo (which I already own), I always wanted to try all those games. I will use the PS+ trial to get them while I don't have a PS4.

Very excited for OlliOlli2 and Valiant Hearts. 

Any one else picking up Helldivers? Looks really fun IMO. 

Oh, and 3 weeks until Bloodborne  :eyebrow:

I have no idea what helldivers is. I've seen it around the place, but no real reason to pick it up. What is it?

hnnnggg I can't wait for this game. I've kept myself deliberately blind on pretty much all of this so I can enjoy it as is come the 27th.

I watched a trailer for Helldivers and thought it looked like Magicka with guns (ie it's very easy to accidentally murder your friends). Then I found out it is from the same developer and it made more sense. I loved Magicaka, but these days I don't really have people to play a game like that with, so I'll probably end up passing on it. Looks fun though.

Very excited for OlliOlli2 and Valiant Hearts. 

Any one else picking up Helldivers? Looks really fun IMO. 

I need to look into Helldivers some more. All for coop gaming but hard sell when it's hard to get a group together!

Valiant Hearts is excellent.

I watched a trailer for Helldivers and thought it looked like Magicka with guns (ie it's very easy to accidentally murder your friends). Then I found out it is from the same developer and it made more sense. I loved Magicaka, but these days I don't really have people to play a game like that with, so I'll probably end up passing on it. Looks fun though.

This kinda really sells me on it. So long as I have people to play with!

I played Helldivers at Rezzed last year and it was hilarious. If it's out tonight we should organise some groups here to play it.

I played Helldivers at Rezzed last year and it was hilarious. If it's out tonight we should organise some groups here to play it.

It actually came out yesterday! I think I'll buy it and get it downloaded so it's ready when I get home.

Nice, a podcast I listen to is doing a Sherlock book club, now I can participate at no cost :)

And I've bought Helldivers. Looking forward to play with people!

And I've bought Helldivers. Looking forward to play with people!

Sweet! I'm Wracketeer, add me on PSN if you want to play.

e: That goes for anyone else who wants to play stuff tonight!

I desperately want to play Helldivers. I loved me some Magicka. Why must it be Sony Exclusive. :[

Join usssssssssssss

Join usssssssssssss

Helldivers looks awesome but not $400+$Helldivers+$10/mo perpetually awesome. I guess I could break out my PS3, but then I'd have to set up a PS3?

Played a bunch of helldivers and it is freaking good. I had 2 hours fly by without even knowing it. Those little emergent moments are just beautiful, and make it incredibly "cinematic" without it even trying.

One highlight for me was three of us dropped the gatling gun turrets and dived on the floor as they opened up on a wave of bugs. Looked freaking badass. Another time there were 4 of us each taking a point on the compass and fighting off bugs in our implicitly assigned sections, then retreated into the shuttle. 

I'm still yet to find out which gun I like the most - I'm generally using the machine gun you get from a strategem along with a shotgun. 

Griddle_lol on psn

it's also pretty OK on Vita. There's an aim assist which is so useful, and the frame rate doesn't drop like many people have said. 

Edit: Forgot to mention, but I love the achievements.

Helldivers looks awesome but not $400+$Helldivers+$10/mo perpetually awesome. I guess I could break out my PS3, but then I'd have to set up a PS3?

More like $4 a month if you pay for a year upfront. Then you count free games every month and it practically pays for itself! (especially if you have all 3 systems) Still, fair enough.

Played a bunch of helldivers and it is freaking good. I had 2 hours fly by without even knowing it. Those little emergent moments are just beautiful, and make it incredibly "cinematic" without it even trying.

One highlight for me was three of us dropped the gatling gun turrets and dived on the floor as they opened up on a wave of bugs. Looked freaking badass. Another time there were 4 of us each taking a point on the compass and fighting off bugs in our implicitly assigned sections, then retreated into the shuttle. 

I'm still yet to find out which gun I like the most - I'm generally using the machine gun you get from a strategem along with a shotgun. 

Griddle_lol on psn

it's also pretty OK on Vita. There's an aim assist which is so useful, and the frame rate doesn't drop like many people have said. 

Edit: Forgot to mention, but I love the achievements.

Added you. I got to play a handful of missions last night with a friend. Really liking it so far. Can't wait to play with more people!

Honestly, I think PS+ is a great system. It pays for itself many times over, and has given me games I fell in love with that I'd never even have looked at before (Binding of Isaac especially, between me and my partner, I bet we've put over 200 hours into that game, all for free!*).

*I'd have PS+ because I want to play online, so yes, everything is technically free for me. 

For sure! At the rate I've been playing most games this last while, I've yet to catch up on all the free games I've gotten, which is kind of awesome. They definitely made PS+ better with the regular updates to it. I remember when it first launched it was very irregular with the updates.

Join usssssssssssss

GOD DAMMIT AXIOM VERGE IS SONY EXCLUSIVE, TOO.  :devil:

I thought I was done with consoles.