melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

(The order 1886 gameplay stream)

Short and sweet. I missed most of it as the twitch app wouldn't even recognise the channel was live.

Anyway, it's uncharted with a different story, tone, setting etc... I'm more than okay with this! :tup: I'd imagine more shooting and less traversal then uncharted. And very narrative/cut scene heavy. I can see you running and gunning with a team of people throughout most of the game. Weird how that's just the norm now, to have at least one AI buddy along for the ride. Did gears of war start that?

So, dude gets shot at the end and then pulls out and drinks from an elixir which magical heals his wound :tup: explains how/why they're all 500 years old or however

Edit. Recording of the stream

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m1EWKYvlWus

I hope you get to pick which character you play as. They all seem to pack different weapons

If they're looking to make a franchise out of this, I'm sure that's the plan. The concept must have been uncharted meets assassin creed. If these characters are immortal then the next game can be in a different historical setting. Now that I think about it, I hope this game does a little flashback here and there, would be awesome to hang out with king Arthur

I guess Half-Life 2 really opened the doors on the whole companion thing, I don't recall it being done in a way that just worked beforehand. Crazy as it seems, Gears of War only came a couple of years later!

From the video I don't feel even slightly excited for that game. It looks incredibly pretty, but basically like every other cover shooter. I really want to like some ps4 games, but still nothing grabs me yet.

Can anyone confirm if Battlefield works yet? It's been years since I played a have like that but I'm finding myself really wanting to hunt and kill some men and I'm not sure I fancy CoD again.

Sent out a smattering of friend requests when I got my PS4 the other day but if anyone else is playing Resogun or Trials at the moment then hit me up.

Can anyone confirm if Battlefield works yet? It's been years since I played a have like that but I'm finding myself really wanting to hunt and kill some men and I'm not sure I fancy CoD again.

Sent out a smattering of friend requests when I got my PS4 the other day but if anyone else is playing Resogun or Trials at the moment then hit me up.

Yes. I've been playing it a lot lately and have literally had no issues. Just make sure to set the network frequency setting to high.

Has anyone found a good replacement for the horribly uncomfortable mono headset that comes with the console? I am not interested in playing the game audio through the earbuds so an open mono earpiece would do. I tried the headset that come with my iPhone 4S but the mic did not work because - I suspect (and just now found out confirmation in Wikipedia) - the connector layout is different.

Love the fact that Sony chose the standard they don't even use in their phones any anymore..  :fart:

I ended up ordering a cheap OMTP to CTIA adapter, because I couldn't be arsed to hunt for an OMTP headset or solder an adapter myself.

Am I doing something stupid or is there no system standard for electronic manuals on PS4? I'd never really needed one before but I got Diablo yesterday and I had some queries about how to read the stats screens but I can't find this anywhere. I know 3DS games all have them so it's weird if PS4 games don't.

hmmm i don't think its standard. If its anywhere, i'd imagine they'd put it on the options 'blade'. The blade where you can delete the game etc. by pressing the options button whilst hovering on the game in the OS

edit: OK maybe not; just did a google and found this comment:

Most PS4 game manuals can be accessed from the main menu of the PS4. With the game highlighted, press down on the d pad. You should see things like trophy info, recent activity, and the digital manual IIRC.

Nice, I'll give that a go later.

I thought it should be under that Options menu too, it's weird to fathom why they've hidden it so well now everyone is completely opposed to including a paper manual. On the plus side you do get patch notes in that Options menu which is cool and an annoying omission on previous consoles.

Is there a way to view saved clips without signing into facebook? I don't have facebook, but I want to see/edit/upload my saved clips! It seems to just stop at the "Sign into the ubiquitous social media site" part before I can use the thing I paid for. 

If you pull up the share menu can't you view the videos you've saved? There's also that share studio thing for editing videos...you can watch them in there though maybe that's not the most efficient way to go about it.

You can view everything in the Capture Gallery, accessible via an icon on the main app list, and copy media to USB if you want. ShareFactory can also be used to edit video on the PS4 itself and is actually pretty decent.

Direct YouTube uploading should be in the next firmware update, too.

TOP TIP

Go to settings > Notifications, and you can turn off the irritating "A friend has joined a party chat" notification

Thanks to some cheap PSN credit and lack of willpower I now own Driveclub and can confirm this is not the PGR clone I was looking for. It's the weirdest feeling. It's painfully apparent that it's not finished, was rushed out and the team making it was gutted at some point along the way leaving all these decent ideas under-implemented, and it being forced offline at the moment just kills it as every bloody loading screen has a wee message extolling how integral the online side is and how much of a fud I am for not being sociable and enjoying all that good stuff. Now I feel bad for them but more bad for me and others who've bought it as it is the worst, most cynical example of cashing in on an unfinished product I can think of off the top of my head.

And the actual racing isn't bad! It handles really well, the sense of speed is great, the in-race challenges are a neat idea, it usually looks pretty nice*! But there's nothing else but more racing racing racing round the same samey locations. There's no tuning, at all, there's no buying of cars, there's nothing resembling a memorable circuit so far and I don't expect to see one later. The tracks don't seem to have names and if they do they're buried somewhere I'm not noticing so how you're supposed to know which ones you like for online play later I've no idea. Argh it's so disappointing. I have a bunch of friends playing it so hopefully the online aspect will paper over the cracks until they can patch some content in but I think I've been mugged here to be honest and it's my own fault. I do it to myself, I do.

* Usually. It's not as pretty and you'd have thunk for a racing game that had Sony behind it and was delayed by nearly a year. The first tutorial track which will likely be in the PS+ version if it eventually releases is a great example - the cars look almost photorealistic but the environment looks slightly off in a way I can't properly articulate which makes it look kind of really awful in a way I also can't describe well. You'll see it. It's quite jarring. I was pretty disappointed for a few races until I got to Scotland for the first time and that was just staggeringly beautiful and so Scotland it hurt and then second lap the sun came out, mega bright, in that special way it does here while still being utterly fucking dreich and dismal and it was so perfect I wanted to cry, but I didn't, I just crashed into a corner instead so great was the surprise. There have since been a few pretty standouts but there's a whole lot of average in here too. The lighting is pretty incredible at times and I do like the way they flashily condense a sunset into a minute or two but there are also times they're so keen to show it off that you will be literally blinded for half a lap and that gets old fast I can tell you.

Anyway buy it and race with me. We'll put wizard logos on our cars or something it'll be great. 

There's a video for the playstation experience demo of The Order 1886, and it's possibly a very very good looking game, it's a shame I'm at work right now and can't watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMjLVRc17kM

I'm mildly interested in this game, I love that the guys are going all in for a cinematic aesthetic, with lots of postprocessing effects to simulate film visuals, it shows that they really want to make the game a "cinematic experience". But I'm not sure if the story will be enjoyable, that's important if you're doing a cinematic game.

New The Order trailer.

It looks...good. Colour me interested. 

Yep, this is the first video of the game that actually is somewhat interesting. The other ones were just some really bad montages.

The voice acting seems quite good, the story might be entertaining. Maybe I'll buy this game when I get my PS4 later in the year.

I still think it'll be better to buy this game in March/April when it's like 2/3rds of the price. I wanted to go all digital this gen, but with the speed that physical releases drop in price, I'm being drawn back to buying discs and filling my house with useless plastic.

Yep, that's the first order trailer that looked interesting. 

I don't think I'll pre-order it, but I'll get it when the physical release drops in price. Or at least wait for the reviews to come out.

The problem with digital games on consoles (or at least PSN) is that the prices don't drop in line with physical copies. Infamous: Second Son is still £50 on the store, whilst it's around £30 for the physical edition.

I got my PS4 for christmas/birthday. To be honest I'm not that amazed with it, and the Share button is an irritant. Has anyone used it? I accidentally press it because my brain has still wired it to the select button.

Still, bloodborne will be awesome when it comes out.