melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

Looking forward to seeing this, Edge typically has a good take on things. The headline seems a bit sensationalist but I'm hoping they'll play on it by not taking the easy shots and having some broader in-depth analysis of where Microsoft is going rather than the predictable 'lol drm' angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jpm7L-oPLrY

So, an actual gameplay demo of Killzone: Shadowfall.

It... it looks good. On pure technical terms it looks better than any previous shooter on a console. It's art direction is, well it's there at least. Some nice and bright and sunny areas and clean high tech shit and what have you.

It just looks totally uninspired in terms of gameplay. "Triple A shooter Model 2013". Every time any "feature" is shown off, it doesn't seem really terribly fun or inventive or like it would even change the gameplay almost at all. The alarms, the climbing, ziplining to stab dudes in the face. It just looks like it was designed around a series of checkboxes based on other games ideas, "oh yeah, gotta have that!"

All the more reason not to buy a PS4 at launch, not that I'm going to buy an Xbone at launch either.

Though I'm probably not going to play Killzone: Shadow Fall, I would maybe consider Killzone: Shadow Hands.

I think what you've just said basically describes every game in the Killzone franchise, Pony. All visually pleasing, all just a bit shit to play. I could not be more indifferent to the series.

I get bored just reading the KillzZzZzzzZ*snort*zone name.

I don't like first person shooters in general on consoles but I think KZ2 gets a disproportionate amount of criticism. Outside of its graphics/sound/atmosphere I thought it had a good feature set, from the included bots and multiplayer, to some good combat mechanics which were a little less gung-ho and ice-skatery than other games. I like the idea of moving from cover to cover and flushing enemies out methodically rather than the typical run & gun that defines the majority of shooters and I thought KZ2 did that pretty well - with some decent AI to boot.

Not to say I'm a fan of the series or anything (when I saw the KZPS4 trailer I groaned and fell asleep like everyone else), but I could lump practically every mainstream shooter into the same category. Off the top of my head Call of Duty 4 was probably the last one to really distinguish itself for me. But this is supposedly the sort of games the mainstream wants.

I always thought Gears of War got a bad rep on the internet, cos it is one of my favorite games ever for combat.

Probably a step down from Killzone on the mainstream scale though. Right? Maybe.

Looking forward to seeing this, Edge typically has a good take on things. The headline seems a bit sensationalist but I'm hoping they'll play on it by not taking the easy shots and having some broader in-depth analysis of where Microsoft is going rather than the predictable 'lol drm' angle.

Back in 2004, they had a cover story about the (then-upcoming) XNA and the headline was "Microsoft ends the console wars."

I don't like first person shooters in general on consoles but I think KZ2 gets a disproportionate amount of criticism. Outside of its graphics/sound/atmosphere I thought it had a good feature set, from the included bots and multiplayer, to some good combat mechanics which were a little less gung-ho and ice-skatery than other games. I like the idea of moving from cover to cover and flushing enemies out methodically rather than the typical run & gun that defines the majority of shooters and I thought KZ2 did that pretty well - with some decent AI to boot.

Not to say I'm a fan of the series or anything (when I saw the KZPS4 trailer I groaned and fell asleep like everyone else), but I could lump practically every mainstream shooter into the same category. Off the top of my head Call of Duty 4 was probably the last one to really distinguish itself for me. But this is supposedly the sort of games the mainstream wants.

How long did you play KZ2 for, though? I too thought KZ2 was wonderfully put together in most ways, but the game got incredibly tiresome after a while because it basically just kept repeating the same mechanics and types of locations ad infinitum with no particularly interesting narrative to go along with it. In terms of showcasing how to put together a great shooter it succeeded, except it seems they forgot they need to make a whole game interesting rather than provide something that's awesome for a 15-minute demo session.

I played enough of it to appreciate what was on offer, but not being a particular fan of the game, or console FPS in general, didn't stick with it. I'm not saying it's above criticism but I think it did bring enough to the table to warrant some distinction, even if they failed to make a more compelling game out of it. I feel people dismiss it out of hand too easily personally - it had a lot going for it.

That said... it doesn't look like they've made any great strides on building upon that with KZPS4.

I always thought Gears of War got a bad rep on the internet, cos it is one of my favorite games ever for combat.

Probably a step down from Killzone on the mainstream scale though. Right? Maybe.

Well I was referring more to this forum than the internet at large. The internet dislikes everything. I get the impression Gears of War is generally well liked round these parts though.

Here's a good list of the ones that're worth playing:

• Destiny

Well, it's because I got a funny email from amazon (first preorder) talking about delivery dates and such, I got a sense that maybe they were covering their backs incase they can't meet the demand for release day.

Sometimes I read Mington's posts and they're just the record scratches that the King of All Cosmos makes, in written form.

You are being silly.

You are! :)

I'll cancel one or the other nearer the time. Or maybe I'll be a scum bag and flip one on eBay :) nah, it's not worth the hassle

I've not actually given much thought to the games :/ I recently found out infamous may not actually be a launch title...

I'll need to buy a sexy new tv first

tumblr_lsrot5PxaF1qdw0eu.jpg

BELIVE IT