melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

The day before Microsoft show us Xbox wow, Sony reveals what their console looks like... A blurry cube!

(What if they beat Microsoft to the punch and the next Xbox is actually a blurry cube, man they will have egg on their faces)

In other news: Sony is partnering with Peter Molyneux and 22Cans.

NO WAYS! What's in the centre of the cube? only the mutha flippin PS4, it'll turn the winners phone into a PS4 (changing their life in the process) then it'll spread like the agent smith virus to all the people in their contact list turning their phones into PS4 and so on...  world domination :molyneuxcrown:

13157598044.jpg

«Bob, you literally have five minutes to create a PS4 trailer and get it up on Youtube.»

Liking the exhale at the end of that. The Xbox 360's shape was supposed to be based on the concept of an exhale, wasn't it?

YOUR MOVE BALLMER

Okay, so Microsoft presented some colossal pendulous balls and Sony backed up for a juicy kick. Lovely. But PS4 is region free? That's near the top of wishlists with every new console but I've always seen it as a pipedream. Surprising but welcome.

It's all a bit Return of the Black Box though.

It's interesting to see Sony as the underdog and actually being rooted for. PS5 will look exactly like XBOne but hey, until then, let's chuckle.

Haha, it's the same thing! It's the exactly the same as the Xbox One, visually. Which is to say, an entirely uninteresting black box. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

I'm happy with the black box look. I`d much rather have an unobtrusive system than something screaming for attention.

Kind of funny that they both went with glossy black left side/matte black right side though.

Also, I just found out this:

And yes, PS4 is region free

— Shuhei Yoshida (@yosp) https://twitter.com/yosp/status/344357778288152576

Holy shit, this is huge. Especially here in censorship-ridden Germany (although it remains to be seen how much online functionality will remain available for nasty games).
I'm just astonished by how many things Sony is doing right. Seriously, where's the catch?

I may have misinterpreted this but...

One little thing i noticed during the conference when he was talking about Playstation plus, he said something like "non Playstation plus members will still be able to enjoy single player games for free" does that mean you have to be a Playstation plus member to play multiplayer on the PS4? just like xbox live

i don't mind, as i think plus is well worth the money and would probably be starting a membership when i pick up the PS4 anyway

On the one hand it's a little ironic that the biggest applause at E3 came at the announcement that Sony is doing what everyone would think is normal and consumer-friendly and already the norm (trading games, playing offline). It's a testament to how much Microsoft has irked the public that Sony can now cash that cheap win. But on the other hand, they DO seem genuinely committed to offering the most open and player-friendly console to the public (none of the hollow lip service towards indie games like at Microsoft's). Region free is a great step. It seems like a fine console, and at a fantastic price. My, how the tables have turned. Remember, it was exactly the other way around last gen.

It still doesn't convince me to buy a PS4. The features are nice, but once again nothing I can't already do on the PC. The exclusives are good, but not yet entirely convincing to purchase a completely new platform. Once the enthusiasm for the features dies down (and remember, all those great things are actually things we should have anyway, regardless of how good we feel it as a victory over corporate bullying at the moment), the games are all that matter.

But it's undeniable that Sony is in a great place and they are riding a wave of gamer sympathy.

(Countdown to crazy Japanese arrogance rearing its familiar head! Ken Kutaragi, come on down! Kaz Hirai, no preposterous statements up your sleeve? Let's wait exactly a single generation.)

I was hoping the new playstation would be shaped like a life-sized person curled up in a fetal position. It would look great under my television. I was going to dress it in jeans and a hoody with a flanel jacket over it, assuming that it wouldn't block any air vents. Oh well, maybe next time.

I may have misinterpreted this but...

One little thing i noticed during the conference when he was talking about Playstation plus, he said something like "non Playstation plus members will still be able to enjoy single player games for free" does that mean you have to be a Playstation plus member to play multiplayer on the PS4? just like xbox live

i don't mind, as i think plus is well worth the money and would probably be starting a membership when i pick up the PS4 anyway

Yeah, GameSpot got confirmation of this. While it's a small downer in a sea of awesomeness from Sony, it kind of makes sense because it seems impossible for Sony to truly support online infrastructure such as the dedicated servers things like Destiny will inevitably need otherwise. It also sounds like they've invested a lot in the infrastructure of their online stuff in general.

Looks like I missed a video that went up a few months ago showing the PS4's UI and non-gaming features a bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SvHft2UJrGY

There's some pretty smart shit:

• Ability to play games while they download
  • Always-on video recording like that NVIDIA thing announced recently
  • Twitch-like streaming of your game in a chat room, with ability to take over the player's controller to help them
  • Full integration with tablets, phones, computers, etc
  • Pre-downloading of games and DLC the console thinks you might want, so when you purchase there's no waiting

I really like the idea of how integrated this is with other platforms. Being able to easily share stuff on forums and stuff is a great thing, rather than it all being locked up in the console's ecosystem. I've used the PS3's screenshot feature a bunch of times but it feels so pointless when it's all stuck on my PS3. Being able to share not videos, statuses and screenshots while I'm playing, etc is something I can see myself doing, especially if it can hook into Facebook and Twatter. It could end up being a really popular new gaming-focused 'blog' platform if they get the web-based stuff right.

Yeah, GameSpot got confirmation of this. While it's a small downer in a sea of awesomeness from Sony, it kind of makes sense because it seems impossible for Sony to truly support online infrastructure such as the dedicated servers things like Destiny will inevitably need otherwise. It also sounds like they've invested a lot in the infrastructure of their online stuff in general.

Yeah doing a quick google search seems as though it's common knowledge now

I think i'm going to take out a plus subscription today \o/ fuck it. There was a blog post my friend posted to me on facebook (thats been deleted now?) which had xcom and uncharted 3, i guess that must be next month.

Thats coming today I believe.  So if you want to grab Infamous 2 and LBP 2 subscribe quick and grab them before they leave.

Maybe i'll buy a vita as well :clap:

I've gone mad

:wtf:

Fuck it i spent £300 on a fan yesterday, i got money to burn. I've gone full Sony fan boy in the space of an afternoon.

Seriously though when i finish remember me i think the xbox is going to become my girlfriends fitness dvd machine never to be gamed on again

You may be right.  For some reason I thought XCOM, Uncharted, and LBP Karting incoming would bumb them out but that doesn't appear to be the case.

As for the Playstation Plus being obligatory for multiplayer games, I don't see the problem. Multiplayer games are mostly "day one perch day two forgotten". so if you buy multiplayer games, you probably have more money than single player gamers, so the 5$ a month seems like nothing, specially if you take account that this not an Xbox Live account and you actually get more of it, like free games.

Unless you buy all the games day one, I can guarantee that the investment in PSN+ will pay off just with this, each month you will get at least two "full" titles, two "full" Vita games and quite a few of the smaller downloadable only games. 

I assume they'll eventually start giving out free PS4 games, in hopes of repeating the effect of giving away free Vita games, eventually it's just silly to not have one. (This is probably when I'll buy a PS4)

Did Xbox Live have Beta access? Or was it just demos? 

At this moment (I'm not sure if the weekly update happened or not) we have in the Instant Collection: Kingdoms of Amalur, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD, Sine Mora (Vita), Demon's Souls, Katherine, Lord of the Rings: War in the North, Malicious, The Cave, LBP 2, Infamous 2, Uncharted (Vita) and Gravity Rush (Vita). I'm pretty sure Rayman Origins for the Vita is there too?

You may be right.  For some reason I thought XCOM, Uncharted, and LBP Karting incoming would bumb them out but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I've figured it out, those three games are switching tonight for the next year, separate from the monthly games. Just have to hope my trail code comes through today

Replacing LittleBigPlanet 2 is Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (single-player); replacing inFamous 2 is LittleBigPlanet Karting, and replacing Motorstorm Apocalypse is XCOM: Enemy Unknown for the next 12 months.

I'm pretty sure it's instant, my first subscription ran out and I couldn't access anything, but the moment I payed I could. Also, the switch is likely to be at the same time the store updates? Or you mean you bought a code and are waiting for it?

Yeah I got a 30 day free code coming from the playstation Facebook page, but it says it can take up to 7 days to get emailed.

I won't play LBP2 or Motorstorm and I've played Infamous 2, so I don't mind missing those game.

Also how awesome did Infamous 3 look!