melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

I don't think you own a 40" HDTV because there's a world of difference on mine. If all things were otherwise equal (controller, game catalogue, online support) and I actually wanted to get a console, I'd definitely go for the one that could pull off the full resolution.

Everyone's eyes are different. Watching a movie I can usually tell the difference, but playing a game, I've got more things to worry about, like not dying.

The abridged version is pretty good at filling me in on a good two hours of Bob Loblaw. At E3 LOL

[ADDED]

From the Gameological article:

“In the past, creators’ visions have been constrained by the limitations of technology,” said executive David Perry, but not anymore.

If that is what he actually said, then fuck David Perry.

I think that's pretty much the stock thing to say every time a new generation is launched ever.

Well, it's even worse than I thought!

Yeah it's so bad with some games. GTA4 was the first experience I had with this.

IMO it's infinitely more visible that a game's being upscaled compared to a film because when a game doesn't have anti-aliasing (most games drop it for playable frame rates) the jagged edges are also upscaled. If a game were running at 1080p but didn't have anti-aliasing it's still look tonnes better as the jaggies would be at the pixel level.

Yeah it's so bad with some games. GTA4 was the first experience I had with this.

IMO it's infinitely more visible that a game's being upscaled compared to a film because when a game doesn't have anti-aliasing (most games drop it for playable frame rates) the jagged edges are also upscaled. If a game were running at 1080p but didn't have anti-aliasing it's still look tonnes better as the jaggies would be at the pixel level.

Yeah, definitely.

Here's hoping 1080p is more widely accepted as the standard for rendering Video Games on consoles.

Building a gaming PC and will wait out the launches this time around. Will probably pick up a console at some point, and if I have to chose between one designed by Mark Cerny or one developed by the marketing team at Microsoft, I'll just go with Sony.

But still, this story isn't complete without really knowing what Durango is...TO BE CONTINUED... 

The Cerny PlayStation!

Mark Cerny gave a talk at the Computer History Museum here a little bit ago and is a super cool guy.  He's also super smart, I think he said he started going to Berkley when he was 13-14.

Behold the tron box (could be fake)

Embed ain't working so I've put in some spaces

http:// youtu.be /3trQXK8oBS4

2013-05-1319_02_27-yoyhsyw.png

In fact re watching it, that video looks pretty amateurish

Edit

Yeah fake "Alas, a representative from Sony's American division has confirmed to Kotaku that this isn’t an official clip, saying that it wasn't produced or released by them."

http://kotaku.com/that-cool-ps4-teaser-is-a-fake-sony-says-504665453

It honestly doesn't look THAT amateurish, almost real actually. If there were A BUNCH of games shown, flicking off stuff from Watchdogs, AC4, Drive Club, etc. Then I'd probably have bought it as real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3trQXK8oBS4

The whole "playstation symbol reflected in the eye" thing is actually quite clever. People not only tend to be drawn towards looking others in the eye, but really tend to remember anything with a human face. It's a solid idea, just not the execution I would expect from whatever several hundred million dollar ad campaign Sony will come up with.

I mean, lest we forget this was their PS3 campaign:

All in all, amateurish or not the PS4 thing is still and improvement over that.

It's seriously my favorite video game advertisement ever. Close second is the N64 Smash Bros. commercial.

It was part of a series for PS2 adverts called "The Third Place", or something. Some of the others in that series are pretty good, too, but most of them are not worth watching.

It's seriously my favorite video game advertisement ever. Close second is the N64 Smash Bros. commercial.

The live action one?  I totally forgot about that one, it was great.

All in all, amateurish or not the PS4 thing is still and improvement over that.

I actually want that really weird, Lynchian stuff again. Wasn't there one with a lady in a bikini on a toilet? I'm crossing my fingers as I head into a Youtube hole.

Edit: I don't know how to embed, but here's some of that weird stuff that doesn't even have the console in it. 

The Wolfman commercial was excellent, though I STILL don't know what or where The Third Place is. What an utterly bizarre thing to say. Everything else, even crying babies and ranch-hotels blowing up, at least made some mondicum of sense.

The Wolfman commercial was excellent, though I STILL don't know what or where The Third Place is. What an utterly bizarre thing to say. Everything else, even crying babies and ranch-hotels blowing up, at least made some mondicum of sense.

I'm a fan of a dude called Colin Marshall who is an excellent writer and podcaster who does 'Notebook On Cities And Culture,' and I'll credit him for pointing out the 'third place' concept to me. Essentially, it's a place that's not home or work but are "anchors of community life and facilitate and foster broader, more creative interaction."

Not sure if this what Sony was going for though, as third places require communal interaction.

I feel its worth pointing out that those "The Third Place" ads weren't just "Lynchian," but were actually made by David Lynch himself.

Do you know who did the Wolfman commercial? I get a strong and unsettling Monkey Dust vibe from it.

It was made by a dude named Tim Hope, and is actually condensed down from a short film he did called Wolfman.

Man that baby advert, I'd expunged that from my memory. Thanks! :tup:

The Vita launch advert is probably my favouritest of Sony ads, apart from the glasses-wearing dude with psychotic rape stare.