melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

My PC is a 7 year old second-hand laptop with the screen hanging off which i turn on once a week to download the walking dead B)

The future is here!

Did the DRIVECLUB guy really say

?

That sounds to me like what happens when an enthusiastic programmer describes what he's working on to a project manager, who then tries to explain that to a marketing guy. In other words, it's a mathematical approximation to some phenomenon, and marketing doesn't know math.

My PC is a 7 year old second-hand laptop with the screen hanging off which i turn on once a week to download the walking dead B)

Play it on your iPad, then.

The Witness? Yeah that's what i thought i'd have to do.

I don't really enjoy touch/mobile gaming, the room was a really enjoyable short experience but I don't really want to be hunched over my iPad playing it for 25hours

Yeah, that's true. Although, I still have no idea how large The Witness is.. I figured I'd play it at a similar pace and in chunks like The Room, only over a longer period of time.

Or i could can just get a steam box :)

i can only foresee 2 consoles sitting under my tele in a couple of years time and one of those will most likely be a steambox (i am an idle thumbs reader after all) so which of the consoles am i going to dump next gen. If all the rumors are true (and most of the playstation ones were) i'm probably ditching xbox.

I can't wait until after E3 when all the cards are on the table for playstation, xbox and steambox

Because at the end of the day the only thing you miss out on are the exclusive games, and i can live without KILLCLUBZONE

(That Killzone demo is really embarrassing, that shit just doesn't cut it anymore. I like how they've ripped off farcry with the knife throw)

Yeah, The Killzone: The Shadow Fall: Rising was pretty awful. Was that Ass Creed Man at one point in that trailer? The one who shot that dude and then walked up and transformed into a hooded Ass Creed Man. Was that Ass Creed Man?

Ass Creed Man.

killzone-shadow-fall-screen-4.jpg

No it's Dishonoured mask guy.

This drained every last drop of excitement I previously had for big games / next gen / etc..

Yeah the main thing I took away was that I'm throwing in the towel on stuff like Killzone 4 and InFamous 3. Maybe I'd like WatchDogs, but hey I never bought Assasin's Creed 3 and I never got around to buying Far Cry 3, so I guess I'm just not interested in this stuff any more.

I was watching the Quick Look for Crysis 3 on GiantBomb that morning, and was kind of laughing at how much exposition and character dialogue and tutorials and flashy showboating there was. I was thinking "is anyone following the story of PSYCHO, PROPHET and NOMAD? who gives a shit about this stuff! At the end of the day there's a crossbow with lightning arrows and we've all used those in other games; Rage had those. I found it genuinely silly how many millions of dollars were blasting out of the screen while it had such dumb, forgettable characters and such well-covered game mechanics.

Then the whole PlayStation thing was just 2 hours of "Get used to it". So for me it's gonna be Steam, independant games, and continuing to pick up stuff I've not played before.

And I know that's hardly a surprise, I'm here on the Idle Thumbs forums, so duh.

Well! That finally convinced me that I'll never want a traditional console ever again.

This was my reaction.  I have not owned a PC for over a decade, but there really seems to be no alternative.

david-cage.jpg

Interestingly one of the comments on the Gameological critique of the Sony non-event draws this comparison:

I find most of Heavy Rain to be pretty indefensible, but  that second level, where it's just the dad trying to take care of the other kid after the tragedy of the prologue, really worked for me, as far as emotion and storytelling go.  But, yeah, the rest of the game is mostly a mess, and then we got Walking Dead four years later and saw what a game in that style could truly accomplish.  Oh, but wait, this console generation can't convey any emotion.  I must have imagined being absolutely wrecked by the end of that game.

Cage and Jake are the Goofus and Gallant of game design.

I think I'll get a PS4. The main reason is that my PC (which I want to keep at a desk for stuff like SimCity) has western games covered, generally. The PS4 will probably be good for Japanese-developed stuff.

That's all I've got, since the coming options (PS4, Xbox 420, whatever steamboxen type things show up) look like they're going to be so similar.

I want to play games at 1080p on my TV, something that the PS3 promised and almost completely failed to deliver. I'm hoping it will at least do that much this time around.

So on this week's Thumbs they heard rumor of charging for PlayStation network. If that was only a rumor and not announced (I haven't had time to sift through the whole Meeting), then count me pleasantly surprised by all their announcements. I came in with at least a 50% expectation to say "Sony you haven't learned ANYTHING since 2006, have you?", and I genuinely can't say that. They hit a lot of points that I think bode well for the future. They said a lot of the right things.

You can be critical of the games Sony chose to display, but the games themselves don't reflect the PSQuad. People are going to continue to make games where you shoot mans and drive cars fast. It's what we can do with them that's important. I'm not going to be purchasing any sort of console Day 1, but as the first salvo to open up discussion about new ways to make/play/experience games I am pleased. I feel they have set a very good bar for Microsoft to match or exceed.

^ The bungie bit was great

Maybe they'll change a subscription fee for the Gaikai streaming stuff or it'll get lumped in with playstation plus.

As the console will run fine without it, and many people with shit internet connection may not be able to run the streaming anyway. But it'll make sense to bundle it in with playstation plus as they can let people playstream a selection of ps2 and ps3 titles for free each month.

And yes i have just invented the word playstream ©

Count me pleasantly surprised by all their announcements. I came in with at least a 50% expectation to say "Sony you haven't learned ANYTHING since 2006, have you?", and I genuinely can't say that. They hit a lot of points that I think bode well for the future. They said a lot of the right things.

I felt the same way. So much of the current generation has been Sony not understanding why the PS3 was failing compared to Microsoft's efforts, and I feel like they did an excellent job of addressing most of those pain-points. Some of it is an easier architecture and better dev-tools (which reportedly have gotten a lot better for the PS3 in the past few years), and some of it is the Gaikai acquisition as an admission that they didn't understand internet gaming well enough. Hosting the event in NYC was also a big surprise, and bodes well for dropping the Japanese insularity that made them dominant in that country but also hurt them abroad.

^ The bungie bit was great

Maybe they'll change a subscription fee for the Gaikai streaming stuff or it'll get lumped in with playstation plus.

As the console will run fine without it, and many people with shit internet connection may not be able to run the streaming anyway. But it'll make sense to bundle it in with playstation plus as they can let people playstream a selection of ps2 and ps3 titles for free each month.

And yes i have just invented the word playstream ©

To clarify, I was thinking along the lines of XBox Live Gold where a pay subscription is necessary to play online games AT ALL. I know that's a core tenant of the Microsoft system that "won" the console wars, but I still think hiding online multiplayer behind a paywall is a terrible idea that only caught on because the 360 came first and the service was functional so people felt compelled. I am fine with added features like PS+, especially since they've transformed that service into one that has value actually worth paying for. If the PS4 comes out at roughly the same time as the new XBoxen and has online social/multiplayer features that work out of the box without a yearly fee, I think Microsoft is going to be in a hell of a rough spot charging for basic service a second time around. The internet is even more ubiquitous than it was 7 years ago. Smart phones exist, y'all.

On the other hand, if there's a Netflix-esque subscription to access streaming of the PS1, 2, and 3 back catalogs, that's a great idea. Imagine a new Tekken game coming out. You and a friend reminisce about how much Tekken 3 you played way back when, wouldn't it be fun to play it again? With PlayStream © (Intercapped), now you can! So you go into the library and then stare-face at the TV for how atrociously badly Tekken 3 has aged and laugh at it. That's worth $10-15 a month to me, absolutely.

I was really needing to be sold on the platform more than the technical specs, I'm glad they are using a unifying architecture for developers, but we pretty much knew the thing would be powerful, so that's not really what would excite me.

There's some cool social features and such to open up some cool features in games, but for another $400-$600 machine, I'm not just if it'll be for me. Since these things are basically PC's at this point, it'd be nice to see them give me something that I can't get on the PC I currently own which is a pretty hard thing to pull off at this point.

They piqued my interest and will see. Was really disappointing we had to drag out sequels that looked impressive visually but uninspired from an innovated and design standpoint.

Media Molecules thing looked slick and I like the look of the Witness, but as far as interesting game designs go, nothing was really shown. So I'll wait and see.

The hooded KZ shadowfall character has been a model since Killzone 2. It's the spy multiplayer skin basicly. They aren't ripping off anyone.

I heard a lot of mess about how crappy the conference was, so maybe I had lowered expectations, but I thought it was pretty good. Long, with a lot of boring parts, but pretty good. I wasn't expecting to see near that many games shown off, they went into some detail about the specs (I'm really interested in what using GDRam for primary system memory will really do,) and they officially showed the controller. Obviously I'd have liked to see the box, but I don't really care what it looks like when it's hidden in my entertainment center.

Suckerpunch's new inFamous game seems pretty cool, and man did Nate Fox sell it.

Edit: I'm surprised at how negative people have been about the touchpad. That+X pretty much solves how awful text input has been for consoles so far.

Oh, and that car thing was shown. That dude was creepy as fuck, half expect that he jerks off to new car pictures at home or something.

I know that guy, and have worked with him before. That stage slot was *so* a PR-written script and not him, I honestly would bet money that he was dying inside. I don't want to say too much, but:

1. IRL, he's a lovely, funny man and doesn't jizz over cars at all.

2. He rides a pushbike to work.

This was my reaction.  I have not owned a PC for over a decade, but there really seems to be no alternative.

That seems like a very strange reaction to have, since the PS4 is [allegedly] doing a lot of really cool shit that could only PCs could do before, only more accessible, streamlined, and built-in. As well as some stuff that hasn't been done on PC!

Games?

The fun of sharing a play experience is, in my mind, being in the same physical space. If I get home and turn on my PS4, I may as well play one of my own games rather than remotely watch someone else play. Otherwise, why not just watch it on a PC on Twitch or whatever?

It's a cool thing but not a $400 cool thing.

Last I looked, LoL and other e-sports were pretty big, Putie Pie (the fuck do you spell that? my sister watches him so I don't know) and his cohorts were huge on youtube, and Multiplayer used to be "local only" for consoles as well.

But yes, my question is the same as everyone else, Dude Where's My Games Bro? Maybe there's a PS exclusive game where more awkward developers come on stage and tell you about the games they're about to not show off. One of them should have been self acknowledging that no game was actually shown and then  B)  deal with it B) before walking off stage.