melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

I like the Sony D-Pad.

Edit: Also keep in mind how Sony was showing off the stupid boomerang looking PS3 controller until the last possible second. This might look nothing like the actual controller will.

Please please PLEASE let it have GSR responsiveness. For those who don't know, GSR, galvanic skin response, measure how conductive your skin is. It's so simple and cheap it could easily be built into the grips on a controller. What GSR responds to is your mood, the more you're paying attention and engaged the higher the conductance, and the less you're paying attention the lower (I'm pretty certain it's that way and not the other way around). It's basically the same principles as your capacitive touchscreen.

But, what it can do is allow a game to react to your emotional responses. Valve has already been experimenting with this for years. They modded Left 4 Dead 2 to spawn more zombies when, on average, you weren't responding to the game emotionally, and less zombies when you were. I.E. more zombies when bored/feeling safe, less when already engaged in some way. It's fantastically neat idea that I'd love to see repeated.

Of course, I'd love to see plenty of other stuff in there as well. Force feedback with a much higher range of output could be great, getting vibrations from big explosions down to the tiniest little rumbles of, say, taking a single footstep, that barely feels like its there. I know Microsoft has considered putting in something invented by a pair of game developers, that measures how hard you're gripping the controller. A university professor came up with a practical way for making the thumbsticks move of their own accord, if for example you wanted to give a tug on the left thumbstick because Halo just got knocked over from an explosion.

Neither MS nor Sony asked me about any of this, but they should have damn it! :devil:

Do Sony and Microsoft not know that Nintendo's patent on the D-pad design has lapsed? They can stop using their own shitty designs now.

It seems to be based on the Vita d-pad, which is allegedly excellent.

Also, is that a 3.5mm headphone jack under the PS button?

Also, is that a 3.5mm headphone jack under the PS button?

Oh that's actually brilliant! And here I am ashamed of not thinking of it. Imagine full personal stereo for not bothering others in the room, or with local multiplayer, with the headphones you already have as easy as kiss my hand! That's just smart if it is.

Do Sony and Microsoft not know that Nintendo's patent on the D-pad design has lapsed? They can stop using their own shitty designs now.

You're barking up the wrong tree.

Best D-pad:

1142465-segasat.jpg

Shape isn't the real issue with d-pads. Which was why it was so stupid when Microsoft brought out that idiotic 'improved' 360 d-pad that just changed shape.

Almost...

vaultcontroller8megadrive.jpg

I still have wet dreams about that dpad

Edit: it. Actually looks like the same d pad, so in that case wet dream high five!

Disclaimer: I don't actually have wet dreams about this type of stuff. Although the game cube triggers with the click... Now that's a different story.

It absolutely is. The Vita's d-pad is the best non-Nintendo d-pad I've ever used. Hell, it's better than a couple of Nintendo d-pads, if only because it's a reasonable size. I believe it was the DS Lite that had a d-pad that was awkwardly small for me to use, so the Vita would come out on top of that one.

Please please PLEASE let it have GSR responsiveness. For those who don't know, GSR, galvanic skin response, measure how conductive your skin is. It's so simple and cheap it could easily be built into the grips on a controller. What GSR responds to is your mood, the more you're paying attention and engaged the higher the conductance, and the less you're paying attention the lower (I'm pretty certain it's that way and not the other way around). It's basically the same principles as your capacitive touchscreen.

Come up with a sexier buzzword than GSR and you'll be in business.

I assume Sony has given an exact time for their present4tion. Does anyone know?

I propose a get together in the Idle Thumbs steam group chat at the time of the thing, so we can talk about it together, laugh at the hyperbole and go "Whoa" when something cool is shown.

I'm super-excited. Not for sweet specs or awesome trailerz, but to see how Sony envisions the next five plus years of video games.

I'm excited to see how Sony spectacularly miscalculates what the next five years of gaming is. Count me in for a Steam get together!

I just watched the videos now. It's pretty funny… their casting of the PS1 and PS2 as wild success stories rings true, but spinning the PS3 as such a great thing seems ridiculous. They show Kutaragi taking the stage and all I can think about was what a boondoggle it seemed to be in the beginning.

I can't wait to see what their fucking bonkers concept video is for this one.

Man, you skipped my favourite.

I remember for a while after the Vita launched, I found myself thinking it just didn't feel like a Sony console. Then I saw

and everything was right again.