melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

I know prototypes almost never tally with the final retail design. Nevertheless, that's pretty gross.

It'll be very interesting to see what Sony comes up with. If the PS4 tanks (for instance by being beaten to the punch again by Xbox, pricing itself out of the market, alienating a huge chunk of audience with weird statements), that will spell some doom for Sony's gaming division. I have a feeling the Xbox will be alright no matter what, and even with the slow start of the Wii U, Nintendo has the 3DS to fall back on - a great machine that is growing rapidly in popularity and will charge ahead in the coming years. Nintendo will simply not be beat in the handheld space.

But Sony... With the PSVita dead in the water, they can't afford another slow burn like the PS3. They need a big boom, or it'll be the Game Over, Man achievement for them.

Please let the weird blank space on the controller be a Dreamcast-style VMU. I loved watching the pointless 8-bit animations of the character I was playing in Soul Caliber.

Yeah it looks like it could be a little status screen or something. Also what's the blue lighty bit on the top? Maybe they embedded Move functionality into the controller?

Yeah it looks like it could be a little status screen or something. Also what's the blue lighty bit on the top? Maybe they embedded Move functionality into the controller?

Isn't it supposed/rumoured to have a touchpad on the front, like the Vita back pad?

Also, yeah, first thing I thought was that blue glowing strip looks Move-like.

Isn't it supposed/rumoured to have a touchpad on the front, like the Vita back pad?

If so, it's positioned with preternatural awkwardness. A player's going to have to remove one of their hands to do more than feebly brush at it, that's not good.

Honestly I think Microsoft are in for a surprise if Sony keep up their current strategy - most of the reason they're not selling is network effects, and Xbox Live is nowhere near as compelling as it was in 2006 when it was the only game in town.

Also yeah non-final hardware isn't final, this shit is basically a bunch of components chucked in a box. Literally no-one gives a shit about the PS4 controller at this point, and yes I can see people upthread giving a shit about the PS4 controller but that's a statistical aberration I'm sure will be corrected once they realise that all that bulkiness could easily just be developer status or controller assignment LEDs that won't survive people starting to give a shit about the controller.

I'm pretty sure I'll want to get one of the coming consoles, but I feel no particular pull in one direction or the other. It's weird.

I'm trying to think of exclusive franchises that I care about, but nothing is really coming to mind.

If Sony Liverpool were still around, I'd be stoked for a new Wipeout, but who knows what the future holds for those?

If so, it's positioned with preternatural awkwardness. A player's going to have to remove one of their hands to do more than feebly brush at it, that's not good.

Navigating menus like you do with an iPad. Done. That's the function.

I'm pretty sure I'll want to get one of the coming consoles, but I feel no particular pull in one direction or the other. It's weird.

I'm trying to think of exclusive franchises that I care about, but nothing is really coming to mind.

I won't be buying one til there's a game I have to buy, and yeah the trilogies we've had this generation are kind of over.

I'm not as swayed by internet hype as I was back in 2007, so it might be a while if I ever buy a PS4 or whatever.

Not joking: I would buy one faster if they brought back the Gamezville-style videos that used to be on the dashboard every week.

If it's around the same size and weight as a dual shock 3 then, I don't see what the problem is. And if it's multi-touch, I still don't see the problem, because what exactly is the issue with having to let go with one hand? I do that all the time already with certain games. Besides, pinch and zoom with both thumbs should be as easy as reaching the thumbsticks, I think.

I kind of hope that the PSEye cam will be a standard feature of the new Playstation as well. That'd be cool.

Do Sony and Microsoft not know that Nintendo's patent on the D-pad design has lapsed? They can stop using their own shitty designs now.