Tanukitsune

Brütal Legend on PC!

The game is not about heavy metal. It's about the bizarre worlds shown on the covers of heavy metal albums.

It is weird though that there is never a band on the stage. It would have been great if the RTS part ended with the winning stage getting a concert. Not during the battle, because it's a battle of roadies.

Doesn't that still make it about Heavy Metal? But more about it's "philosophy and lore" as such? 

Hmm, seeing that this is practically Heavy Metal Heaven (or should that be Hell?) how do we know that Eddie didn't die in the intro? And no, that not a spoiler, it's in the intro, dammit!

Your stage comment reminds me how few "stage VS. stage" battles are in the game, there are only two! The rest are most defending against new units to get introduced to them.

Then again... a time traveling roadie? And the first boss is a tentacle thing? Wow, Hoagie got ripped!

Doesn't Hoagie have a line about his friend Eddie who can take 20000 volts to the head or something?

I think that was a line from Bernard saying he could do that, but I do think he mentioned a friend called Eddie when looking at the horse teeth?

Yeah, there's this exchange:

Doctor Fred: “Does he have any experience with electronics?”
Bernard: ”Uh…I once saw him take three thousand volts directly through his head without batting an eye.”
Doctor Fred: ”Didn’t he pass out?”
Bernard:”Well, he was already passed out when it happened!”

#googlefu

Also, on a DOTT note: I watched Mel Brooks's "High Anxiety" recently, and Cloris Leachman's Nurse Diesel really really reminded me of Nurse Edna. I'm pretty sure it was an "homage".

So.... The Secret of Monkey Island is that Brutal Legend is just a dream Hoagie had when passed out and shocked by 3000 volts!?!

I broke the game by accidentally selecting "Keyboard" for the radial menu controls. Thankfully this was after finishing the main quest, but still, now I can't select Relic Raiser and some other solos. Seriously -- some solos can't be selected with keyboard controls, yet they exist. And for some reason the game refuses to switch back to mouse controls for those. Anyone know which config file has the bindings?

There's this file input.lua, but I can't figure that one out. I think it just maps keyboard to controller input names, but can't figure out if the radial menu stuff is there.

Awesome, found the file and the change to make, but it's a binary file, so I'll probably have to figure out how to update some indexes using a hex editor.

[edit] the solution was to delete the file (prefs.sav) and replace it with a default(?) one (one folder up), otherwise it somehow got restored, maybe by Steam cloud?

OMG brutal legend for PC is a perfect example of a BAD port, don't sell a game on the PC if it is totally broken, i can't set the controls properly eg. i set lock on to "RCTRL" but only left CTRL will work it's same with shift, it may have been a bug but the cursor was always on the screen, the radial menu is a fucking disaster you have to move the mouse around randomly until by chance it lands where you want, the solo mini game just kept failing even when i pressed the correct controls i eventually get it to work by luck, the camera movement doesn't move with the mouse it only moves when you get the mouse the the edge of the screen or some weird laggy response, the whole thing is broken, it may be better if i used an XBOX 360 controller but guess what i am playing on the pc so i use a mouse and keyboard.

seriously if you want to know what a bad port is play Brutal Legend on the PC and if you get further than a weird worm thing trying to smash you while you endlessly drive a car around in circles with an impossibly bad camera without quitting this piece of shit you are an idiot because it sucks

Yeah, the radial menu is quite bad with mouse and keyboard. But other than that I haven't had much issues with the PC version. In fact, the RTS part is more playable on PC than it is on the PS3. (I haven't remapped any keys)

i don't use wasd, never have, so i always have to change the controls but the camera doesn't work properly either, seriously i thought psychonauts had some bad issues because it assumed you used a controller but psychonauts is perfect compared to brutal legend.

message for all developers "DON'T ASSUME I USE A WASD AND DON'T ASSUME I USE A CONTROLLER FOR THE PC" 

I just made a "fun" theory/speculation on Eddie Riggs:

Eddie Riggs wasn't magically transported into the "Metal-World", it's just some post mortem Silent Hill/ Jacob's Ladder afterlife/Hell (?).

Eddie Riggs died thinking Metal was dead and working for a stupid group. He hated them so much that he imagines them killed by a "true Metal" monster. But he cannot rest, he thinks Metal is dead and is a Metal roadie, all he wants is to give one last real Metal concert. He imagines a Metal world, but there is no "Metal" in it, so he convinces himself that he must put up a concert yo put his soul at ease, and yet... the stage is always empty, he keeps denying the truth and deluding himself more, he hasn't pleased the "Gods of Metal", he keeps coming up with villains that are taking Metal away from him, he even convinces himself he's the chosen one to save the land, but in his demented roadie mind he makes up other people who are the real leaders.

But still, he puts up the stage and it's still empty, when the bad guys kill one of the leaders, he simply insists on having someone else take over. The world keeps telling him Metal is dead, just like you, but he just deludes himself and hops into his little safe place a car where he can still listen to his music and imagines more bad guys to blame the lack of Metal for. He imagines people he likes as allies trying to help him bring Metal back. In his own deluded mind his "ax" has powers since he's convinced only Metal can save his "fantasy/Hell" world and he can only see his "enemies of Metal" having them to justify his own "battle of the bands" and yet... he refuses to notices there is no real music in this world.

It's possible that each faction represents bands he used to work for and hated and blames them for the "Death of Metal", once he comes up with the ultimate bad guy, who HAS to be one who has take Metal away from him, he sets up stage one final time and.... there is still no concert... It's of finally realizing something is wrong and admitting the truth, he deludes himself into thinking he's won and continues to live in a Metal hell with no Metal, unable to admit the truth and pass on.

:getmecoat

I'm not sure if I'd put that dark of a tone on it, but that thought has struck me a couple of times.