antikewl

Aliens: Colonial Marines

You know, the WayForward was the last Aliens game I played since the Mega Drive one... maybe I should keep it that way from what it seems.

I really hope we find out the truth eventually, I'm pretty sure the story of how the game was made is more interesting than the game itself.

Definitely, I've probably had far more enjoyment just reading about the game then i would have playing it (although that actually goes for most games these days)

Jim Sterling said the something similar in one of his articles i read earlier, how are we supposed to believe anything he says in the future?

I feel lied to. I spoke to Pitchford about Aliens: Colonial Marines,
and he talked to me about the game's "next generation lighting" and
other awesome features. He promised things I never saw, he showed a room
full of writers things that would never make it to the final product.
At this stage, and after days of silence, it doesn't matter if Pitchford
believed the words coming out of his mouth when he spoke them. That
won't stop those of us he said them to feeling grossly misled. 

Personally, I feel embarrassed by the interview I conducted with him.
One feels like a chump when they, in their enthusiasm for a game,
publishes an optimistic interview with a guy whose words turn out to be
little more than ash in the wind. Thanks to this interview, and indeed
the entire Colonial Marines debacle, I've gone off the idea of
previews entirely. I'm sticking to reviews, so I can have real code and
be sure it's not some chicanery. To use an already overused Aliens quote -- it's the only way to be sure. 

Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/randy-pitchford-doesn-t-like-being-called-a-liar-245118.phtml#tUvT101W0oUUlUmb.99

listen to the first minute of this from May last year

I'm listening to all of it, this stuff is golden. He just said the Wii U version will be hands down the best version

That's all kinds of hilarious. To be fair, whenever you hear him speak about any game they're working on he piles on the bullshit really thick, waxing on about this and that while saying very little. The used-car salesman descriptor is right on the money. Not a flattering one either!

Jim Sterling:

I've gone off the idea of

previews entirely. I'm sticking to reviews

Let's see how long it is before Sterling does a preview so we can all call him a liar over Twitter..!

It's funny, when I saw Giant Bomb play through a quick look of the game I thought it looked neat. I m ean they nailed the art direction of Aliens and it looked rather nice. There is dynamic lighting going on and while maybe a bit dated looking, thought it held up.

Then you look at the demo and, yeah, I can see why people are complaining. From a visual standpoint it looks like a standard practice of developing on the PC and when it doesn't work for your target platform(360/ps3) you start cutting all the cool stuff for performance without any regard to saving it for the PC release.

I'd wager they just panicked to get it to perform on consoles and in a few areas of that video it just looks like specific art direction changes were made.

Happens all the time, shame the actual game design was totally broken, I don't think the visuals are all that bad standing on their own.

I think AvP 2010 was a vastly, vastly better looking game than ACM.

I mean, even down to the look of the Xenomorphs, which just kind of shuffle lifelessly across the ground in Gearbox's game.

In 2010, they were scrambling across the walls to get at you, leaping from surface to surface, their tails swimming through the air behind them.

This time staring Ellen Ripleys daughter!

i had a good laugh at that.

Would make sense though to keep churning these alien games out, they'll easily make money no matter the quality. Although i do wonder if average Joe public felt burned by the last game and would hesitate picking up a new Alien game in 2014...

Probably not, as this new one will be NEXT GEN and might just end up being the reason people fork out for a new console

Wasn't Aliens Infestation apparently really good? It's a little depressing that they don't make more like that one if that's the case.

I know someone who's working on this, so it's deffo real, but I don't know a single other thing about it, frustratingly.

Creative Assembly huh? They'll probably spend 5 years on it but forget to program the AI to know how to jump.

Creative Assembly huh? They'll probably spend 5 years on it but forget to program the AI to know how to jump.

This... but hey, at least it will look amazing.

Wasn't Aliens Infestation apparently really good? It's a little depressing that they don't make more like that one if that's the case.

Aliens Infestation was a neat little action platformer. Not perfect, but very charming! I reviewed it for [N]Gamer... back when the mag was still around.

I really, really like Infestation, it's a fascinating little game, probably one of my favorite Wayforward games.

There have also been some other really great games based on Aliens.

The AvP series of FPS's, in particular, has traditionally been very good. I'd argue that the dubiously received newest one even had some strong merits, but years ago, Monolith's AvP2 was a genuinely stellar game.

Weirdly Space Hulk boardgame (and Death Angel Card Game) are both probably the best licensed-but-not-really Aliens games ever. They just have the wrong license. 

Creative Assembly could actually make a really cool strategy game with the license. Imagine a game that's equal parts Space Hulk and new XCOM, skinned as an Aliens game. I'd buy that in a hot second. 

Turn based aliens strategy game (a la xcom) would be hot. Bring in the engineers as late game enemies.

Don't know if you could flesh it out to a full retail game though?

These legal briefs as of late are absolutely fascinating. It's almost like the only unfiltered view we ever get of game development