I used a free trial of Netflix for a month and they've been pestering me to come back ever since. I really like the idea of the service, but everything I remember of Canadian Netflix was pretty awful. They dropped every episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 except for "Pod People" the day after I signed up, for example. And the only film I could find that had been released in the previous six months was Black Swan. Can any Canadians tell me if it's worth owning now?

I think Netflix is a pretty sweet service. I've probably watched thousands of hours of content and I've rarely had any serious concerns with UI. I just want to watch stuff and it works for me. I literally never run out of things to watch that I'm actually interested in, either.

Sorry about your issues, OP.

Hmm. I wonder if this is purely down to country. The selection of movies on the UK Netflix is astoundingly, almost unbelievably, bad. It's like they went for all the cheapest titles they could. Sure, there's some good ones, but it seems like they padded it out with cheap filler -- like people wouldn't notice.

But everyone in the US seems to rave about Netflix...?

Yeah the US Netflix is literally a billion times better than the straight-to-DVD bog that is the UK version. Same goes for the TV offerings, really.

I've never tried LoveFilm's streaming stuff, but I hear its film collection is more like the US experiences with Netflix.

To be fair, US Netflix started out as a straight-to-DVD bog for streaming as well. And it's still not that great for movies.

For TV shows, though, it's pretty awesome.

There's a naughty Chrome plug-in that lets you use the US Netflix selection...

I just installed the Media Hint plugin. Is this for real? How can this be?

Part of me thinks they just don't care. You're still paying them, right?

I've been using Hola Unblocker for some time now, and it has been great. I assume the two are quite similar?

it's called a DNS that returns the US IP of netflix.

Actually no, it's called a "naughty plug-in".

Part of me thinks they just don't care. You're still paying them, right?

Netflix definitely doesn't care, as it adds value to their site at no cost to them. The companies who own the films that Netflix didn't pay for rights to in other countries would probably mind.

I don't know if this is a known thing and I've just been missing it for a while, but I was watching some Arrested Development and I noticed that instead of the usual star ratings, they were bananas.  If you click on them, it takes you to a episode from the show and jumps to a part about the banana stand.  Is this some subtle promo for the new episodes?

That's definitely a new thing. Little nods like that make the Arrested Development superfan in me so happy.

Apparently there are more.  Try searching for "Blue" and then click on the blue paint/handprint.  Also, try watching "Girls with Low Self Esteem", "Families with Low Self Esteem", "Franklin Comes Alive", and "Mock Trial with J. Reinhold".  There are probably more but those are the ones I've found so far.

Ugggh, that's awesome. Why is Netflix tormenting me by raising my expectations about the quality of the new Arrested Development episodes?

eXistenZ is up on Netflix streaming and apparently it doesn't go up very often/gets removed after going up fairly often. So, maybe catch the Cronenberg while you can if you're interested.

I started watching Beverly Hills Cop 2 on Netflix, but noticed it wasn't in HD, so I pirated a Bluray rip and watched that instead, and now my life is a torrent of conflicting emotions. Watching these movies some twenty-odd years later is great. It's fascinating to experience, in parallel, watching a terrible eighties movie and reminiscing about a cool and funny movie. The story is a terrible mess, and it's hilarious when he does crazy characters to trick people.

ALSO, I watched Demolition Man, and I had forgotten the fucking sweet mixtrack accompanying Simon Phoenix beating up a bunch of future cops. I've even added a link to the exact right time

I think Demolition Man does not get nearly enough love. It's not exactly the most meaningful thing in the world but I think it's a very well made movie for what it is. Funnily enough for a largely brainless action sci-fi movie, the worst parts of it are the action scenes (the one up there isn't awful but when Phoenix and Rocky fight, it's usually pretty boring) and most of what's good in it are the jokes and the cute little sci-fi future they've imagined for the movie.