Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Saturday Morning Streams

I've taken a lot of flack for delegating and having groups of my own goons. Olly had made it clear that he was going to have lots of friends giving him help and I had pre-organized zilch so felt like I had to take that aspect of the strategy seriously.  I fully expected shit to go full Reservoir Dogs at any moment and think I just got lukcy (and also chose to send a lot of people away from me on another team because I was worried they'd all turn and kill each other).

Operating blind as you were, I think you did fine. =) It's just some of the aggressive behavior of the goons themselves that puzzled me (Olly's band might have behaved similarly if they'd survived =P). Still, a worthy experiment. ^_^

(It occurred to me that if you both started with equal numbers of unarmed goons and *did* watch each other's streams while directing the goons, they would basically be your pikmins...and then you could use motorcycle helmets for marbles...and etc...).

Has there been any actual post mortem on what happened? I suppose there will be some discussion in this week's cast. I am most interested to know who the hell just up and shot Olly near the end. What was that all about?

Well I can answer that one. I owe Olly and Sean apologies! I went back and watched the end of the stream. I owe Olly an apology because it looked like he had me lined up and a geometry glitch cause him to hit the ground (hills are rad like that right now).

I owe Sean an apology because I shot Olly. :P

At the point where we were both within 1K of Kamy, it was going to be KoS from there on out and I didn't know what Olly looked like. Tex shot someone right before we ran into him, and we'd heard gunshots right beforehand. So basically it went down like all DayZ fights went down - everyone saw each other and shot a bunch and tried not to shoot the people on their side TOO hard. In an actual fight with both sides shooting and not an easy ambush someone not Sean or Olly shooting the other was always going to be a possibility. I dunno how that would work outside of sending everyone away and going showdown style.

Jake, how come you never wore the Luigi hat and the fake mustache at the same time?

Jake, how come you never wore the Luigi hat and the fake mustache at the same time?

Tune in to this week's episode of Idle Thumbs for the fascinating answer to that baffling conundrum.

Jake, Sean, and Chris, with surrogate Lord Thumb Brad Muir are live on Giant Bomb's GDC stream right now.

http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

At some point (maybe tomorrow) it'll be video archived on Giant Bomb and you can watch it if you missed it.

e: if they don't break up the segments, Extreme Jake Face at 2:43:00. Forget talking about Firewatch or whatever, Jake's face.

Is it supposed to say "Please Stand By?"

The deal with their convention live streams is they get 6-7 people, put them on a couch, talk about whatever for 30-45 minutes, then go to a break to get more people.

The video is totally searchable. Their segment starts at about 2:11:00. Honestly it's worth it to see game devs and game-related people hang out and shoot the shit, but it was super cool to see them get a whole segment to Thumbs out.

It continually blows my mind that they live in San Francisco and drink PBR and Miller Lite. I guess the CBS budget doesn't account for beer.

It continually blows my mind that they live in San Francisco and drink PBR and Miller Lite. I guess the CBS budget doesn't account for beer.

Did you see the part of the video where Jeff produces a bottle of Buckfast out of nowhere?

It continually blows my mind that they live in San Francisco and drink PBR and Miller Lite.

They drink it ironically.

http://business.time.com/2013/05/26/after-pbr-will-the-next-great-hipster-beer-please-stand-up/

I'm only half serious and generally don't approve of calling people "hipsters", so please don't take this post super seriously, but PBR is a very trendy beer among people who theoretically should drink better stuff. In it's defense PBR is one of the better tasting cheap beers - I drank PRB before it was cool!

Let people drink whatever they want! Being stuck up about beer is so completely bizarre. Being stuck up about most things is bizarre. If you see someone drinking a Miller Lite, and that is not a beer you prefer, well, what are you going to do? What do you gain from judging another human being for something so silly?

They're not drinking anything "ironically." Nobody drinks PBR "ironically." PBR gets ordered because it is cheap! I don't get why people assume the world does things "ironically." What the hell does that even mean? "Oh, look at that guy's ironic facial hair" This is a nonsense statement. You know that guy probably wears his mustache that way because he thinks it looks cool on his face, right? 

Miller/Coors lite/PBR are of such a different consistency and taste than "real" beers that it seems like the answer should be self evident as to why people drink them. They are closer to alcoholic soda than they are to beer, so it's no surprise to see people burn through them in a) long-lasting social situations where one drinks a lot, B) places where it is hot. Drinking a lot of actually rich beer on a hot day or over a long period of time makes you an even hotter feeling, immediately drunk person, whereas a cold can of Coors is actually refreshing due to being wimpy. Get over the fact that they are both in the beer family, and get over yourselves, because they serve a completely different purpose as an alcoholic beverage than a beer you can be an aloof cool person about liking before someone else liked it.

Let people drink whatever they want! Being stuck up about beer is so completely bizarre.

Exactly! Beer is disgusting, period! If you're going to drink any, might as well drink cheap and easily available beer!

If you're buying beer for any sort of large social gathering, you're buying a lot of beer that has to appeal to a broad range of tastes. Who wouldn't buy the cheap stuff that basically everyone can tolerate? That's what I always do, although I'll often sprinkle in a bit of the slightly pricier stuff (especially this on summer days).

My comments were meant to just be playful and dumb. "I drank PRB before it was cool!" was not a serious statement. It was more mocking a ridiculous thing someone would say. It's not even true - I've had PBR like 3 times in my life.

My point other than to be amusing (which failed?) was just that consumption of PBR has trended up for a while for a variety of reasons, some of them sociological.

I don't drink the alchohols, but my brother gave me a six-cans-of-beer pack of PBR for my birthday (for a joke, as he knows I don't drink the alcohols, and mainly he just wanted to walk through the door beers-first in homage to the time that happened in The Truman Show) and now I have had these PBRs in my house for months, stowed away up on a shelf inside of a watermelon-colored basket containing also (for some reason) some wadded up trash bags. What are some neat things to do with a PBRs besides ingest them?

You could make some pretty good chili with a couple of cans of beer in it. Beer can chicken is also a pretty awesome way to roast a bird.