Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Saturday Morning Streams

Like most of the streams, I was constantly yelling at my screen stuff like "You missed that thing over there" or "No don't do that, do this".  Still, it was very entertaining.  I laughed every time Sean referred to Chris' guy as "Spelunky".

Sean Vanaman's serious DOTA2 teamwork voice is so funny when directed at blowy (sp?) ghosts. :D

It was also amazing whenever Christopher Remo was resurrected, burst out of the coffin and immediately started scampering around at maximum velocity like a treasure goblin making up for lost time. :tup:

This stream reminded me why Spelunky is excellent and I should get it; but then it reminded me why I don't play the free one anymore, and that's because of the time limit per level! :tdown: I understand there are many reasons to have something like that in a game like this, but exploration on the clock is always hard for me to enjoy. Is there a way to play Baby Spelunky with no timer?

Sean's immediate disdain for Nick at the start of the stream is hilarious.

Sean: This is why you shouldn't be flag, Nick. Because you're not a team player...in general.

Nick: (pause) WHAT?!

And later when Nick is (correctly) whipping everyone at the starting area

Sean: Is that Nick? Of course it's Nick...

Chris: What's happening here?

Sean: Nick Breckon is happening!

Chris: Is Nick the asshole?

Sean: Yeah. Why do you even have to ask that?

Be careful Sean. The Queen of France tried to fuck with Nick and look what happened to her...

Anyway, Spelunky looks really fun, but I'll probably wait until I'm in the mood to have my blood pressure permanently elevated before I get it. I too wouldn't mind a Spelunky Baby Mode. God, my childhood self would be so disappointed in me for saying that.

my childhood self would be so disappointed in me for saying that.

You were less of a baby when you were a baby.

This was an excellent stream. I suggested it in the chat, but don't think it was seen. Please Thumbs, before GFWL shuts down and potentially renders Red Faction Guerilla unplayable, do a stream of it?

I hear the grenade a comin'
It's rolling down the hill
And I ain't seen the god-rays since I don't know when,
I'm stuck in shitty Africa, and time keeps draggin' on
But that grenade keeps a rollin' on down 'til my buddy's gone..
When I was just a baby my mama told me. Son,
Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns.
But Nick shot a man for Remo just to watch him die
When I hear that sax a-blowing, I hang my head and cry..

The Super Poleriders stream was marvelous! I was on the edge of my seat for every GOLDEN GOAL (figuratively; in fact, I was sunk into a recliner). The original Flash game has always been my favorite Foddy game, and probably one of my favorite all-types-of-games. Super Poleriders looks a little bit easier to control and grasp (once you shed all of your original Poleriders habits :P) but I still don't think that would be enough to convince my wife to play it with me, she hates that game. Actually she hates other Foddy games too (like Winner vs. Loser, which everyone should play because it's similarly hilarious...it's kind of like a two-button QWOP with a lot of faceplanting that doesn't result in Game Over) -- the combination of direct head-to-head competition and stupidly (i.e. marvelously) fiddly controls does not appeal.

She's actually pretty good at Poleriders and still plays it occasionally (though never, Ever EVER AGAIN Winner vs. Loser =P) but only because I like it so much. She knows that I am (as they say) having fun, whereas she herself may perhaps be best characterized as "still working".

edit:

P.S. I watched the first half of the stream again for lolz, but instead ended up being uncomfortably aware how loud were the screams ^_^. That [therapist / masseuse / graphic designer] may have a regrettable tendency toward condescending chastisement, but she refrained for nine minutes with impressive forbearance!

She also inadvertently added another layer of goodness to the stream because everything becomes funnier when you're forced to laugh quietly (and I watched the video at like 2am so *I ALSO* had to laugh quietly, producing a compelling solidarity).

"Aww it felt so anticlimactic 'cause I couldn't scream..." ~ Sean Vanaman

On a more gamey note -- it was a magical / interesting moment when the controls clicked in Chris' mind and he suddenly became a powerful desert vault-warrior. That's one thing that makes Foddy games and their ilk (where the controls are all physics-y and analog-y) special.

That ambush scene so perfectly encapsulates Nick's playing style (and Far Cry 2 in general).

I went back and played some Far Cry 2 after being inspired by the stream. Damn but do those controls take some getting used to! I took many a sunrise screenshot, got in many a shootout and drove off a cliff or two. It was a splendid revisiting of a flawed but super interesting experience.

Super Poleriders looks like Chocolate Island from Mario World

I hear the grenade a comin'

It's rolling down the hill

And I ain't seen the god-rays since I don't know when,

I'm stuck in shitty Africa, and time keeps draggin' on

But that grenade keeps a rollin' on down 'til my buddy's gone..

When I was just a baby my mama told me. Son,

Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns.

But Nick shot a man for Remo just to watch him die

When I hear that sax a-blowing, I hang my head and cry..

Best.

That ambush scene so perfectly encapsulates Nick's playing style (and Far Cry 2 in general).

I went back and played some Far Cry 2 after being inspired by the stream. Damn but do those controls take some getting used to! I took many a sunrise screenshot, got in many a shootout and drove off a cliff or two. It was a splendid revisiting of a flawed but super interesting experience.

One thing I really enjoyed about the stream was how Chris played Far Cry 2 the same way I did when I started out, and Nick's style was what my play style evolved into over time. When you reach that level of familiarity with the game where you can just get away with doing ridiculous stuff all the time is so good.

Yeah, the Far Cry 2 stream was good for boggling at different styles of play. The biggest surprising difference between them and me was in the number of flammable and explosive things left un-exploded (yellow barrels, propane tanks, fuel lines, oxygen tanks, ammo crates, all largely ignored!).

I therefore enjoyed it when the enemy AI managed to accidentally hit one of the explosive barrels that Chris or Nick was hiding behind (I think that's what happened when suddenly all their cover was blown to bits). At least, I assume it was on accident. It would be great if an FPS AI was smart enough to target the Standard FPS Explosive Barrels on purpose.