melmer

The Witcher 3: What Geralt Wants

Good news I got the game!:

CrIU4OBVYAAp9Qb.jpg

CrIU-a9UsAAlzWG.jpg

Amazon says my new copy will be here Thursday. In thoey I could use the GOG download code that came with the game but it will take longer to download then it will for the new copy to show up and that feels like it's at best skirting some legal territory.

So I got the discs to install somehow ( I felt like I was trying to get Heroes 3 to work in the 90's) and I went through the lengthy character creation process to make my character who I called Gritty S McDarkness. The S stands for Shadows to express his inner turmoil. And then I turned it off because it's late and I need to sleep.

I was just joking about how there is no character creation and how Garret Of Rivertown feels rather generic in the first 20 minutes.

Garretts on the Riviera feels pretty generic in the first two games, and I suspect continues to feel generic in the third (although I'm still < lvl 10 so what do I know). And yet, this doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Review:

The Witcher 3 is a worthy successor to the Pokemon TCG game for gameboy. 4/5 stars

I got my replacement copy of The Witcher 3! The first disc came loose in the case and is scratched to hell! And I haven't even returned the first one (I have 30 days to do so and haven't had a chance)!

So, I'm very into Icelandic yogurt recently, and have just been trying out a new brand: Norr.  Turns out their two main flavors are Buckthorn and Gooseberries.  Made me feel like a real Witcher.

I restarted TW3. The beginning of this game is fucking amazing. It just drags on far too long. 

I'll have fun right up until the point it should end (then push myself through to get the damn trophy).

Speaking of the end of this game dragging on a bit... can someone tell me how much further I have to go? Spoilers below in white text about where I am in the story.

spoilers

I just finished the fight with the Hunt at the Witcher stronghold, after gathering my allies.

/spoilers

At least another arc, 3-4 hours I think? I liked that they let it all spin out.

There's also 

[spoiler]text[/spoiler]

to make a box of

text

Wow, didn't expect there to be that much - felt like it was wrapping up & I was expecting 30 minutes or something. Glad I didn't try and power through last night. I'm eager to finish up so I can move on to Blood and Wine & Dark Souls III for my action-adventure fix.

Thanks for the tip on the spoiler tag, Jutranjo.

Played a bit further (details below) and gosh the one boss fight I just did was way, way too simple.

I love this game, but wish there was a bit more to the combat  - it just feels too "same-y" compared to the variability of, say, Darksouls. Give me the open world, characters, and narrative of the Witcher with the combat of Darksouls and I would be very, very happy. I want more involved attack animations, multiple possible boss attacks/patterns instead of just one, and the like - it's just too static as-is.

I beat the fight with Imoleth (probably spelling those names wrong) and turned Ge'el.

The fight with the Crones was fun, but the one against Imoleth was just stupidly easy. Roll past him, turn for 2 hits, roll past him, repeat. His 2nd stage is no better - dodge 3 times, get 4 hits, dodge 3 times. Took about 2 seconds to figure out the pattern, and then 5 minutes of mindless repetition to grind his HP down.

http://kotaku.com/i-accidentally-got-the-worst-ending-in-the-witcher-3-1793040692

I enjoyed the hell out of this article. I felt a deep sense of satisfaction on the ending I got for the main campaign, borne out of my attempts at RP'ing a crappy dad trying to be better. I hadn't investigated the other possible endings, so this was kind of validating for me. 

I got The Witcher 3 during midweek madness a month or two ago, and it's been everything good that I've heard about for years now. I'm really excited to keep playing and I'm well over twenty hours in, which is an exceedingly pleasant surprise given the difficulties I've been having falling into games lately.

@Gormongous Really glad to hear it! If you ever want to gush or commiserate about a current quest drop something in #now-playing, I always want to talk about that game.

8 hours ago, Rilen said:

@Gormongous Really glad to hear it! If you ever want to gush or commiserate about a current quest drop something in #now-playing, I always want to talk about that game.

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

Hmm, I've been looking at the Steam Summer sale for Witcher 3....

The thing that's really shocked me about it is that it's an open-world game that doesn't feel too big or unmanageable, despite being huge and having hundreds of quests and points of interest. You really just ride around to stuff that's your level on your horse, which is a marvelously hands-off experience, and people will just come up to you with quests or you'll check a notice board when you pass through town. It's really hard to bite off more than you can chew or stress yourself out with too much to do and not enough time to do it. Besides a good map presentation and (from what I understand, post-release design choice of) an inventory system that doesn't seem interested in punishing you for hoarding lots of junk, I'm not even completely sure what makes it so good... but it is!

Wow, Heart of Stone is very good so far. I can't believe people are saying Blood and Roses is even better!?

I like how all the wanted posters are written in the Glagolica script.