melmer

The Witcher 3: What Geralt Wants

I got back to The Witcher 3 because of all the good things I have been hearing about the DLC. I quit playing last year a few hours after reaching Skellige. I liked the game a lot but I exhausted myself by doing pretty much all the side quests near my level before progressing the main quest. There is a shitload of content, and I think I will have to go against my usual approach and simply skip some of the side quests in order to see the main game through. Anyone found a list of the more interesting or rewarding side quests?

Also, I got a shitload of messages the first time I booted the game after my hiatus. Seems like the developers are still pretty good about updating their game post-launch. I missed most of the notifications though, because I was too busy being excited about the storage chest.

Yup, inventory management was pretty annoying before that.

Also, there seems to be an alternative (tighter) movement response option now. Cool!

I think anything not a contract quest to kill a monster was usually pretty interesting. Even one where you meet a guy in a bar in Novigrad and he has you go dive for pearls in Skellige has some good dialogue. Even the contracts usually have something interesting, tho it's very often "people are monsters".

I think anything not a contract quest to kill a monster was usually pretty interesting. Even one where you meet a guy in a bar in Novigrad and he has you go dive for pearls in Skellige has some good dialogue. Even the contracts usually have something interesting, tho it's very often "people are monsters".

That pearl diving thing was the most interesting side quest I finished because the ending was so non-game-like.

Yeah, it was. I really expected

his wife to be either a monster or to have been dead and buried for years.

Yup, turns out CD Projekt is not on Rock Star's level when it comes to stuff like this. Thank god.

Red Dead Redemption had very similar mission where the ending turned out to be exactly what you (and me) were expecting.

Some of the monster quests are great!

Many have great little stories attached, although I will agree the vast majority are go to x use detective vision, go to y, kill monster.

Great story, but it felt to me that 50% of the time, the twist/hook of the monster quests was "the person who hired you did not tell you all the facts/is actually the reason this is happening".

Well, I guess I will play all the side content then.

Is there a point-of-no-return where a bunch of side-missions fail? My next story mission is Ugly Baby.

There is at least one, which very clearly says what it is, it's you taking a boat somewhere, trigger being in the water somewhere. The trigger gives you a Yes/No prompt to continue, warning that some side quests will fail/vanish.

There's at least 1 quest where you meet another witcher in the main area, it vanishes/fails because you go to Kaer Morhen to meet those same Witchers at some point.

It WILL instantly tell you quests failed, so just saving before every main quest should be enough.

Oh my god crafting elements no longer have weight! Retroactive game of the year 2015.

Inventory stuff was probably my biggest problem with the game upon release, and even then it didn't feel worse than, say, Fallout 4. When I started playing the game again my inventory size was 60/160, and at first I thought that I had done some thorough cleaning before I quit playing, but I later realized that things are just much better now.

Inventory stuff was probably my biggest problem with the game upon release, and even then it didn't feel worse than, say, Fallout 4. When I started playing the game again my inventory size was 60/160, and at first I thought that I had done some thorough cleaning before I quit playing, but I later realized that things are just much better now.

Oh gosh Fallout 4 was much worse. I did have to do some weight management, but I just used console commands in fallout after a while. Witcher 3 v1.0 was still hands down slam dunk touchdown goty 2015 even if the inventory was fiddly. The only thing keeping me from playing the expansion literally this second is I think when I was doing a bevy of formats and OS installs it wiped my download and thus my save file.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention all the UI updates they released in the past year make everything inventory related 100x less cumbersome. Don't forget to hold Start to quickly access the map.

I really liked the monster quests. The hunting and detective work is a little rote, but I enjoy all the little things leading to a big payoff and then I get a trophy.

The thing that does it for me is the depth of characterization and the feel of a lived-in world. I never finished the first game, but I instantly felt that Geralt and Regis had an interesting history. I liked how Geralt wryly tells

the lady of the lake

they've met before. I like the overdone pomp and circumstance of everything in or related to Toussaint. It's just a marvelously fleshed-out experience on every level. Maybe my favorite game. Definitely top five, at least.

Don't forget to hold Start to quickly access the map.

Yeeeeess! Thank you for pointing that out.

Game of the decade!

Meanwhile holding back/touchpad takes you straight to your inventory, FYI.