melmer

The Witcher 3: What Geralt Wants

I'm trying to keep playing but moving around an open world when the story is over feels so weird and empty.

I'm trying to keep playing but moving around an open world when the story is over feels so weird and empty.

Yeah, I've been feeling the same way. I have a few contracts in my quest log that I'm way overlevelled for, but I just don't feel like digging back in since the main story is over. I'll be more than happy to come back to the game when the expansions come around (assuming I hear that they're worth playing), but for now I think I'm done with it. 

My play time says 7 days and 3 hours. That can't possibly be right. I wonder if you leave it in suspend mode while you watch Netflix on PS4 it counts the time...

I think the play time thing is broken.  Last I checked it was grossly under counting how much time I've lost to the game.

I went to the Isle of Mists.

Mixing that 7 dwarves thing up with "oh no, Ciri is dead!" sure was weird.

I went to the Isle of Mists.

Mixing that 7 dwarves thing up with "oh no, Ciri is dead!" sure was weird.

I strongly disliked that they

pronounced my name, Ivo, incorrectly.

I really want to get the wolven armor set, and am considering just focusing on the main story till I can get to Kaer Morhen. I'm at the point where I've followed all of the leads, and now need to go back and investigate that weird creature. How much more do I have till Kaer Morhen is accessible?

I really want to get the wolven armor set, and am considering just focusing on the main story till I can get to Kaer Morhen. I'm at the point where I've followed all of the leads, and now need to go back and investigate that weird creature. How much more do I have till Kaer Morhen is accessible?

Very, very little.

Ah, yeah, I was more or less there.  Pro tip, finish Following the Thread and The Last Wish before picking up the weird creature.

Following the thread

what the fuck? I just killed him because he didn't sound convincing (but who does with an incredibly posh accent?). There was zero proof, only the rantings of a vengeance driven mad man. Oh well, he was a slave trader, probably deserved to die anyway.

Good game is good.

What wolven armor?

Is it related to the Lambert quest? I failed that, and a couple of others, due to travelling at the wrong time probably.

They recently added a Wolven School armor set with some free DLC.

Man, the Steam UX for getting the DLC installed is kind of weird. How do you even notice if there are new ones without actively looking for them? Anyway, just found that I have some new quests to do which is cool.

I could never get the new haircuts to load in properly.

I wouldn't worry. Every single one of them is terrible

I like the tony pail and shaved head one. It actually suits the character.

How many people are doing all the side quests and all the witcher contracts? I feel like maybe I'll burn myself out because I'm doing everything. I can't be bothered with the question marks though. I might visit one on the way to something, but I sure as hell don't go out of my way for them.

I'm nearly at the end now and I have several remaining contracts and other quests still u my lists - mainly because I'm now very over levelled for them.

Given the size of the game it's really not necessary to do all the quests anyway. The levelling process in the game does feel a little off I have to say - for example it tells you you need to be level 16 before you go to Skelliege but the first quests you do there are level 12-13.

I'm basically doing everything. I'm at the tail end of the game, my list of secondary quests is basically down to the Gwent playing ones (never got into Gwent), and I have 1 level 35 Witcher contract left.

I've also cleared all the question marks on the main area and White Orchard. I've got a ton of them left in Skellige, but most of those are in the water or on tiny islands, so I don't think I'm going to mess with those. The main land masses in Skellige, though, I got all the question marks there.

MONETARY ADVICE (IANA$):

Don't sell anything that can be used for crafting, unless you have a big surplus! The price difference between selling and buying things is way ridiculous, and you can actually use all of the money you accumulate in this game, for gear. After the endgame and doing some extra side quests, I decided to build all of the witcher gear just for the hell of it. I had about 40K Novigrad crowns. Spending time at the master smiths, I somehow managed to buy enough of various metal ingots and stuff (just cause I though I'd "probably need them anyway") that I very quickly spent all those crowns. That made me go run around selling stuff to various merchants to make back some money to spend on crafting. And I have no hope to get that much money again without killing thousands of wraiths or something.

But anyway, especially don't spend or sell any of the metal ore and ingots and plates frivolously. I thought I was so rich I could do anything and built all the witcher gear that I wasn't going to use, then discovered the Wolf gear DLC and had to spend a lot of time getting back the materials I now needed again. Possibly there will be other DLC adding more cool gear, and now I have only 700 crowns left (ok, I still have some monster parts to sell, though, but not more than a couple of thousand worth).

One of things I found mildly frustrating in the game was the availability of some of the ingredients and the reliance on them dropping from the monsters you kill. I can't tell you how many nekkers I killed but I still never got enough nekker hearts to complete superior white raffard potion (or whatever it was called) or cave troll hearts from very hard to come across rabid cave trolls (I was too soft hearted to kill any of the ones who could hold a conversation) to make the superior ogroid oils.

It did feel a bit random.

Nekker hearts in particular seem like a bug - you need five to make the base level oil, and you almost never get them.

More so than the ingredients being annoying to get, I think I'm a good way through the main story and there are so oils/bombs/potions/etc that I've yet to see the basic version of, and I've got enhanced versions of them sitting unusable.

Yeah, the amount of stuff Geralt, veteran Witcher who longer has amnesia, lacks access to is narratively nonsensical. You would think he would have basic recipes at the start of the game, and not need to buy them from a vendor or find them in a box in a cave.

So in my experience so far, Nekker hearts seem to spawn only from Nekker nests, not from individual Nekkers.

I'm not sure that should be the case, because I've now cleared all of the map except for the small islands in Skellige of monster nests, and I'm still like 1 heart short of being able to craft the Superior White Raffard.

Also, for when you get to the late crafting recipes, you should be hitting up every bar you can find. Those bar shopkeepers tend to have the more rare liquors, which you need to craft White Gull, which is needed both directly on many high-level crafting recipes and for alchemy ingrediants you need for high-level crafting recipes (stuff like Albedo).

Also, you should check all the herbalist shops. Look for the scraps of paper in their inventory, so you can buy crafting recipes. There's one guy you run into fairly deep in (behind a level 22 or so quest) who sells all the recipes.

Also, you should check all the herbalist shops. Look for the scraps of paper in their inventory, so you can buy crafting recipes. There's one guy you run into fairly deep in (behind a level 22 or so quest) who sells all the recipes.

I've been checking when I run into them, but they're kinda hard to seek out since they don't show up on the world map (unless they should and my game is bugged).