melmer

The Witcher 3: What Geralt Wants

There's a bug/feature where you can mouse drag the oil onto a sword to apply it mid fight.

Yea, I actually had no idea that was a bug until you pointed it out to me that that was not by design...

Novigrad tip to avoid frustration:

You should play through any quests involving searching for a sorceress before doing any secondary quests for Triss.

Spoiler chat about that:

I got the quest from Radovid to look for a sorceress, investigated, and found the magical doodad. I lied about it to the witch hunters, and don't really want to give it to Radovid because he's a crazy bastard, but I did want to show it to Triss. However, I had already started the masquerade party quest, and that is all I could discuss with her. Her final quest begins immediately following the party, ending with her leaving the city, so I was unable to ask her about the magical doodad despite narratively spending a ton of time with her. Video games  :crazy:

What happens if I can show her the thing? I'm not sure if I even want to go talk to Radovid, or just go through with the assassination, because fuck that guy.

Novigrad tip to avoid frustration:

You should play through any quests involving searching for a sorceress before doing any secondary quests for Triss.

Spoiler chat about that:

I got the quest from Radovid to look for a sorceress, investigated, and found the magical doodad. I lied about it to the witch hunters, and don't really want to give it to Radovid because he's a crazy bastard, but I did want to show it to Triss. However, I had already started the masquerade party quest, and that is all I could discuss with her. Her final quest begins immediately following the party, ending with her leaving the city, so I was unable to ask her about the magical doodad despite narratively spending a ton of time with her. Video games  :crazy:

What happens if I can show her the thing? I'm not sure if I even want to go talk to Radovid, or just go through with the assassination, because fuck that guy.

You can also talk to Yen about it

I'm now up against the plot mission that is the point of no return towards finishing the plot. I'm already pretty overleveled for it, and yet I've still got like 20 other quests on my log I've yet to finish.

Really torn between just running all the quests I've got and just pushing to finish the game. If I do the side quests, I have a feeling that the final plot quests will all be finished as grey (recommended level 6+ levels behind your level)

I'm now up against the plot mission that is the point of no return towards finishing the plot. I'm already pretty overleveled for it, and yet I've still got like 20 other quests on my log I've yet to finish.

Really torn between just running all the quests I've got and just pushing to finish the game. If I do the side quests, I have a feeling that the final plot quests will all be finished as grey (recommended level 6+ levels behind your level)

At a similar point myself. I'm lvl 25 but have been able to finish off the lvl 30+ ones.

My log is empty apart from the collect all the Gwent cards quest. There's blatantly a couple I didn't buy from some innkeeper somewhere because I was broke at the start of the game (where as now I'm at 16k gold with spare respec pots in my inventory).

However I'm still wary of heading in because I have a few bugged quest items & locations.

Though I suspect that

Only the people who you ask to fight the hunt with you quests will be at risk

But annoyingly one of the bugged quests is linked to one so arm im dredging the skellig oceon of smugglers caches.

I followed the Baron's questline, including the swamp to it's end. Man, that was great. I'd not been playing much recently, but that pulled me straight back in. 

I followed the Baron's questline, including the swamp to it's end. Man, that was great. I'd not been playing much recently, but that pulled me straight back in. 

I'm in the middle of that now, and sidequesting with the witch. For all of this game's flaws it's amazing how little they seem to matter when the writing gets good and you're feeling immersed in the world.

Does anyone have any technical questions that they might want to see the Witcher 3 developers answer in an interview? It's for a game development community so we are primarily looking at questions related to the technical development of the game as opposed to gameplay, concept, etc.

Post-Novigrad spoilers:

So does the assassinate Radovid questline just end after you rescue that guy with the weird monocle? I really want to continue that quest.

Spoilers related to after you've quested a bit in Kaer Morhen:

I went around recruiting allies. Got everyone but Djistkra and the emperor. How differently can that all go?

Post-Novigrad spoilers:

So does the assassinate Radovid questline just end after you rescue that guy with the weird monocle? I really want to continue that quest.

Don't worry, there's a follow-up.

Don't worry, there's a follow-up.

Excellent. I'm at the quest called "The Isle of Mists" - how much more is there? Feels like I'm approaching an ending.

I'm still in Novigrad, but a good 6 levels above what the main quest line suggests. I even failed a few quests, because I did them in an order I wasn't supposed to.

I feel like the witcher suffers from levels being too few and far between, and when you do level up, it's rather anti-climactic. Still, I've managed to out level my area because the side quests are damn good, trivialising the main quest.

So confused!

Excellent. I'm at the quest called "The Isle of Mists" - how much more is there? Feels like I'm approaching an ending.

The Isle of Mists starts the final act of the game. You're almost done relative to the overall length of game, but still looking at (probably) several hours.

I'm still in Novigrad, but a good 6 levels above what the main quest line suggests. I even failed a few quests, because I did them in an order I wasn't supposed to.

I feel like the witcher suffers from levels being too few and far between, and when you do level up, it's rather anti-climactic. Still, I've managed to out level my area because the side quests are damn good, trivialising the main quest.

So confused!

This is where I think the game is at its weakest. I was playing on the hardest difficulty, and out-leveled the main quest early on. Considering that you're still able to take on some of the quests that are several levels above you once you've gotten a hang of the combat, the game starts to become a little too easy.

I think I would've liked it if they scaled the main quest-line to match the player's, but only after the player passes the quest's level recommendation. That'd allow them to place lower limits on level, but prevent you from just walking over enemies if you're doing side content.

The baffling thing to me is outside of Gwent quests, I have nothing left in my log. I am level 30, which I got during Isle of the Mists. Now admittedly I haven't done every single "?" icon on the map, but I've done a goddamn lot of them, and in the home stretch of the game I can't even make the coolest Witcher armor as yet (1500 exp to go!), but I'm way overleveled for the final quest.

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO BUILD THE GNOMISH GWYHYR IF I CAN'T GET TO LEVEL 42 YOU GUYS?!

The ease of outleveling the main quest fuels my opinion that leveling systems where stats scale significantly are a bad idea that cause more problems than they solve, especially in open-ended action games. It would be much more mechanically satisfying (and narratively logical) if the power curve was pretty small, and leveling mostly opened up more character build options.

I wish I had played it on the hardest difficulty, I'm on blood and broken bones, and it's just slightly too easy. Too far to go back now though.

Holy shit, I've put 160 hours into this game already! (some of that is reloading after the game crashes, but since it loads relatively quickly, it's not such a big part)

I just completed The Isle of Mists and what follows in Kaer Morhen, and it seems like no matter what you do before that quest, you end up at level 30 (or so?). A friend of mine did almost none of the side content and ended up 30, I did almost all of it, and ended up 30. I'm not sure I like this distribution. The main quest is biased to giving way more exp than anything else.

In fact, I would love it if this wasn't an RPG at all. Geralt is supposed to be one of the best witchers and swordmen in the world, so why does he get so easily beat up at the beginning? (I have to admit that the feeling of progression does feel good, though, despite the ludo-narrative mismatch.) If it wasn't an RPG it might be a different game, but it could still work. Like, Metroidvania kind of progression could concievably work at a really wide scale open world game, right?

But holy fuck, what an amazing game it is. The writing is unusually good for a game with this scale. Besides a few things that started to annoy me at hour 100 and a few bloopers here and there, and a few corners of the world that didn't get proper lighting (e.g. Kaer Morhen surroundings), it's really amazing. I almost haven't used fast travel so my game is probably going relatively very slowly due to that, but it's really enjoyable just to travel the world. I wish the boats would go even faster, though. A sea journey from island to island is usually something I don't look forward to just because it goes too slowly, especially if I force myself to check out a question mark. Those smugglers sure put their caches in weird places.

I wish I had played it on the hardest difficulty, I'm on blood and broken bones, and it's just slightly too easy. Too far to go back now though.

I'm pretty sure you can swap on the fly if you want to up your challenge from here on out.

I'm at 80+ hours, which is insane. Just randomly, I looked at the paid DLC they're releasing later in the year. They're suggesting that between the two pieces it's at least another 30 hours of content. CD Projekt, you are nuts.

BTW if you're using GOG, it doesn't look like it automatically adds the free DLC they're releasing weekly. You have to go in and check them to parcel them in.

I've almost finished everything in Velen and Novigrad, and am about to head to Skellige.  It's really fun, but, god, I hope I'm over halfway through it.  I haven't spent this many hours on a video game in years, and it's eating my life.

I've been on the whole disappointed with how choices are handled.  Has anyone successfully played as neutral and had an enjoyable time?  It seems like if you were to stick to the Witcher ideals you'd miss out on a ton of quests.  Likewise, for a game that's supposedly all about grey choices, it's annoyingly opinionated about "correct" choices at times, though not always.  I also find it difficult to determine what I'm actually picking based on the brief dialog synopsizes that are marginally related to what Geralt says.  Last complaint, I really dislike how much the game pushes me to romance every woman.  I'm not interested in having sex with any of the sorceresses.  Why are you making me feel bad for this choice?  Why don't I get an equally rewarding subplot?  I guess, I'm just assuming that I don't, but I think it's a pretty safe bet.

I have finished the main questlines in Velen and Novigrad and I'm almost done with the one in Skellige. This marks the end of act 1, I believe. How do the act breaks work in this game? Will they lock some of the sidequests? I will probably play through (almost) all of the side quest at some point but I'd prefer to alternate between those and the main quests.

It will explicitly tell you when you get to a point where some side-quests will be abandoned, which only happens once and you're still a ways off from that point. Once you get to Skellige you can still fast travel between Velen/Novigrad and the islands, so it ain't no thang.

I'm not sure that's entirely true - I'm pretty sure there are some act 1 side quests can be lost by proceeding, but they're ones you're just fairly likely to have already completed. Also there are things like items that people could talk to you about if you hadn't done all of their quests, but if you complete their side quests they are no longer around to tell you about them. I'm not sure whether these items branch off into actual quests themselves, though.

Specifically (potential act 1 spoilers):

There's some kind of statue, and also a crystal you get from the searching for Phillipa Eilhart quest, that seem to be conversation options with Triss. However, if you finish Triss' questline, or even get too far through it, you can't talk to her about them because she leaves Novigrad.

That said, I'm not really too worried about these things, despite having missed some of them myself. There's so much content in this game that I'd rather play it naturally and see what I see than spend even more time trying to make sure I don't miss anything.

That particular quest can still be done 

by talking to Yennefer instead.

I suppose I did have one quest fail for me, but it was one where I didn't really want to work with that character, so once the story progressed I guess something had happened to said character. 

I'm pretty sure you can swap on the fly if you want to up your challenge from here on out.

But then I won't get the trophy.  :getmecoat