melmer

The Witcher 3: What Geralt Wants

From what I know, I think that's fairly standard. However, there is variance to that quest I believe, it's just coming from how that plays out.

WARNING: Spoiler for where the variance plays in:

The variance is based on whether or not you decided to kill that being trapped in the tree, the mission the Crones sent you on.

Yeah, this above is what I'm curious about, because

I saved the tree spirit. I even quicksaved beforehand because I wasn't sure about my decision. I broke the seal, I'm mad at myself for going back a decision

And after I saw the fallout of my decision

HOLY CRAP the bloody baron storyline.

Man.

It prompted this.

Yeah, so I went the other way on that. Heard about that outcome from someone else, though. Hoo boy.

For the record, doing it the other way:

Everyone shows up and finds Anna, but she's now in even worse shape than she was when you left her. Tamara wants to stay with her mom, but is told she can't, that the hunters have kept up their end of the bargain and she now owes them a duty. Bloody Baron takes Anna off to seek healing from some far-off mystic. Also, all the children Anna was looking after have disappeared without a trace.

Somewhat related but speaking more generally, does anyone else get the feeling CD Projekt seems to have something against kids? Goddamn.

Good game is good. Man I can't wait to dig more into this. I have a feeling it's going to last me a few months.

I'm a bit worried about the leveling though. I'm strong enough to go check out another area, but there's loads of stuff left for me to do. Not sure if I should move on then come back, or try to finish up Valen (?) before I go the the next place.

You're not going to be done with Velen for a long time. I was trying to finish up some quests, and there are question mark sites with ?? monsters sprinkled all over the place. Lots of quests wrap back around. Oh hey, random level 25 griffin!

Question: IS THERE A DAMN BLACKSMITH? The only one marked on my map won't talk to me. I am using a level 1 silver sword. PLEASE SEND HELP

You're not going to be done with Velen for a long time. I was trying to finish up some quests, and there are question mark sites with ?? monsters sprinkled all over the place. Lots of quests wrap back around. Oh hey, random level 25 griffin!

Question: IS THERE A DAMN BLACKSMITH? The only one marked on my map won't talk to me. I am using a level 1 silver sword. PLEASE SEND HELP

Blacksmiths abound in Novigrad (the huge city on the northern side of the world - same map as Velen). You can always travel back to White Orchard and go to the blacksmith there as well. He's near the barracks.

I've had no problem finding blacksmiths. They've even made me unique armor and swords. Just go to the city if you're after armor, and I think there's a black smith in like 75% of the small hamlets.

Good game is good. Man I can't wait to dig more into this. I have a feeling it's going to last me a few months.

I'm a bit worried about the leveling though. I'm strong enough to go check out another area, but there's loads of stuff left for me to do. Not sure if I should move on then come back, or try to finish up Valen (?) before I go the the next place.

If you're exploring and trying to clear the entire map, you'll probably end up over-leveled for story content, and some side quests that aren't available right away. Personally, I cleared all the side content I could before visiting new areas, but it has led to some quests being ridiculously easy.

I was originally clearing all the ?s I could but I've since stopped doing that because, as Azniac said, you end up overlevelled. Also clearing bandit camps is just not as interesting as doing actual quests.

For the most part now I just go towards whichever quest is lowest level, whether it be main, side or contract. If I happen upon ?s in the course of travelling between quest objectives, then so be it.

The only downside to this is that I'm probably missing out on Places of Power.

To be clear I specifically mean Blacksmith, which the game separates from Armorsmith. Yes there's one in Linvale thank you! It was either covered up by other icons even when I zoomed in or not showing on the map at all. The one in Blackbough won't talk to me.

Oh my god there is

A cheese wizard

To be clear I specifically mean Blacksmith, which the game separates from Armorsmith. Yes there's one in Linvale thank you! It was either covered up by other icons even when I zoomed in or not showing on the map at all. The one in Blackbough won't talk to me.

Oh my god there is

A cheese wizard

Did you finish the quest? I didn't even know actual tyromancers existed up till now.

I've really enjoyed the game so far, the story is strong and the quests varied but i think I've got to the point where the potion/decoction system has slightly broken the combat for me. You can just combo certain things to do silly damage. I've 1 shoting some mob my own level and killing others 7-8 levels above me if i'm careful. Now admittedly if one of those big gits hit me it would 1/2 shot me as well and utterly break my "combo" but still.

Now i just want  really want a multi-player qwent

I may be a bit late with this, but I noticed last night that silver swords seem to drop off of unique named monsters in contracts. I got two pretty good ones from the White Lady contract and then the one about fog in the swamp. I was at level 14 when I found both, but I think if you do a contract appropriate for your level you will likely find one that will suit your needs.

I didn't use any decoctions until halfway through the game, but I'm throwing them on a lot more often now. I also respec'd completely into the swordplay tree. It's been interesting. I don't use signs as much but I'm having a lot more fun playing aggressively. Red mutagens increase my attack power by 100%, so my silver/steel DPS is 1502/996 respectively, at level 22. I'm playing on Death March and, as long as I pay attention, the game is fairly easy. I definitely prefer this build over the sign one I was using.

Just picked up the game and I'm loving it so far. A few hours in readying for my fight with the griffin. Only critique I have about the tutorial area is that it I started wanting to use potions, crafting, and oils but there was little tutorialization of how potions refill, or how crafting/alchemy works. Also no mention of what a "Master Item" is, but I take it those are items that are not destroyed on use. I think I need recipes for new potions items? Where do these recipes come from? Might just be that I jumped into those systems before they've been fully introduced by some more formal tutorial quest.

Just picked up the game and I'm loving it so far. A few hours in readying for my fight with the griffin. Only critique I have about the tutorial area is that it I started wanting to use potions, crafting, and oils but there was little tutorialization of how potions refill, or how crafting/alchemy works. Also no mention of what a "Master Item" is, but I take it those are items that are not destroyed on use. I think I need recipes for new potions items? Where do these recipes come from? Might just be that I jumped into those systems before they've been fully introduced by some more formal tutorial quest.

You get more recipes from vendors and loot from containers. I think the looted recipes are random loot but I'm 50/50 sure of this.

All your crafted alchemy things, oils, bombs, potions, decoctions restock to full whenever you meditate. It'll eat up a single alcohol item from your inventory.

As far as I can tell "Master Item" refers to item rarity. The different item levels reflect the background. No background is common, master is blue, Witcher Item is green, Relic is brown/red/whatever. Potion and item recipes are sold by vendors and in chests and stuff. I weirdly have a bunch of "Enhanced X" recipes I can't make because I don't have X in the first place.

....Holy crap, Skellige is as big as Velen.

What? Jesus, I'm 35 hours in and I haven't even gone to Novigrad yet.

Skellige also has some real high level content in there. I started in on Fists of Fury (the fistfighting tournament quest) there and my first opponent was level 27 and had a red skull.

I've still got Novigrad and Skellige side quests to do, but I've finished the main quest through Velen/Novigrad/Skellige.

That's great to hear!

I'm 60hrs in and I don't think I'm halfway done with the main quest line in Novigrad; casually doing side quests if they're conveniently along the way.

Although I'm playing with map markers on, I still find myself stumbling upon a fair amount of hidden things that aren't highlighted. W3 really is truly massive.

There are quests to find witcher gear that get you new ones. I didn't realize I had the diagram for one until I was level 7.

This game is so good! Finally got to start it on Friday and I'm loving it. Made it out to Velen and ended up going all the way through Keira's quest line. It was crazy when I first zoomed out and realized how big the map was for Velen alone.

I am basically doing quests with regards to my level. I'm the kind of person that wants to do all the side stuff before the main stuff, but because of how open the world is you can't really do that because you can go anywhere. Now I'm not censoring myself from the story just because it's the "main quest". At first I was concerned at how slowly I was progressing. Now when I was playing this weekend it was all quest-driven content for the most part (no random ? searching) and I'm beginning to out-level some quests. Part of me wants to make sure I wring experience out of them, but part of me also wants to experience content as at least somewhat challenging and on level. This is a game where I'm content to go multiple hours just talking with people. Sometimes there's a little combat interspersed, but it's not what I remember from the time playing.

Something I did not know would be so enjoyable and add so much to info delivered as writing is the fact that the glossary is written from an in-game character's perspective and told as a story.

Something I did not know would be so enjoyable and add so much to info delivered as writing is the fact that the glossary is written from an in-game character's perspective and told as a story.

His character profile is pretty great too.