melmer

The Witcher 3: What Geralt Wants

I think I need my PC upgraded anyway, it's about 3 years old and has some other problems. Also want a NVIDIA card with <whatever-their-word-is-for-the-streaming-stuff> so I can try in-home streaming even while I don't have a proper Steam box yet.

I honestly yield better results with OBS than through Nvidia's Shadowplay.

I was always kind of weirded out by all the weird sex in The Witcher, does that make me a bad person?

PS, if you buy a new nVidia card right now you get The Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knights for free.

I was always kind of weirded out by all the weird sex in The Witcher, does that make me a bad person?

2 had a lot less sex than 1. 1 had tons.

What does the combat play like in these games? I'm definitely interested in this but I felt the same about Oblivion/Skyrim/Dragon Age: Inquisition and the clumsy combat ruined those games for me. I'm not expecting Soulsesque levels of melee brilliance but if it's a bit more in that vein I might drop £40 on it.

The combat is kinda like shadow of modor... If you've played that. Lots of dodging and blocking required, using magic like projectiles and mines to get an edge. Tactical action.

The combats good! (A lot of people complain that it too difficult)

Ehh, to present an opposing view I've definitely never felt much love for the combat. Mington seems to be mostly referencing the second game in what he says, and I really felt like success in combat in that game mostly had to do with the things you did before the fight. For example, your equipment, your talents, which potions you drank. Preparation, effectively. The difficulty level primarily just changed how much prep you had to do. I never felt like I won fights through much skill, and I never felt like I lost them through a profound lack of it, though it is of course an element in there somewhere.

In the first game it's a bizarre clicking game mostly to do with being in the right stance for the right situation. Again, I didn't feel like success or failure was particularly dictated by moment to moment skill, if that's what you're looking for.

That said, the combat is competent enough to get what you want out of the games, usually. It depends on your personal sensitivity to that as a sticking point.

Yeah the first game was one of those eastern bloc oddballs that totally hooked me a few years ago. The first game was an odd combination of rock paper scissors and action. Some things (weapons/skills/magic) worked super well, others didn't at all. I can't think of much else like it. Like the others said, 2 is a much more polished game with pretty well done action combat. 

Also, I've got an extra copy of Witcher 3. I preordered a long time ago, when they offered the discount for owning the first two, and I just upgraded my GPU and got a free key. Would anybody trade me an "expansion pass" for that key? Is that crass of me to ask? hah. still half price! 

There isn't enough weight to the combat in the Witcher 2, I don't think, and it was far too easy to win fights crudely by rolling around a lot and spamming attacks. Presumably this isn't possible on difficulties higher than normal.

Also, on normal diff, if you spec into swordplay you never really need to prepare for any fights. The magic felt a bit weedy, so I usually didn't bother with it. Just roll and hit, roll and hit.

Still a great game, like.

The combat is fantastic, but you have to be willing to prepare instead of just go in as if it's a pure action game. This is an RPG, after all.

I bounced off witcher 2 thanks to the combat. Felt weird playing it right after dark souls. I seriously hope they improved it this time around.

Partial PC upgrade done and Witcher 3 pre-loaded. Can't wait! I hope my 4-year old Core i7 2600 CPU and 1333 MHz memory will be enough.

PS, if you buy a new nVidia card right now you get The Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knights for free.

That's a heck of a deal if you are excited to spend $350+ on a video card.

The Witcher appears to be reviewing QUITE well. Man I should go back and finish* Witcher 2.

*Finally progress past the 4-hour intro sequence.

I stopped playing Witcher 2 some time early on in the final chapter. I get the sense that, if I really wanted to, I could go back and finish it in only a few hours.

But starting an RPG from the middle (or not-the-beginning) after a long time away is never much fun, so I'm probably never gonna finish that game.

If I missed this in the thread please forgive me. Gamespot did a great 3 part video series on the history and lineage of the Witcher series a few weeks back. Also Danny O'Dwyer is the best.

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/introducing-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/2300-6424503/

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/exploring-the-vast-world-of-the-witcher-3-wild-hun/2300-6424516/

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/unveiling-the-gameplay-of-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/2300-6424536/

e: fixed link

That's a heck of a deal if you are excited to spend $350+ on a video card.

The Witcher appears to be reviewing QUITE well. Man I should go back and finish* Witcher 2.

*Finally progress past the 4-hour intro sequence.

Yep, newegg had a GTX 970 for $300 with those two games, could not resist!

Sadly I bought a new card a few months ago and got nothing with it. :(

This is helpful in remembering what decisions you made in the Witcher 2

I can't tenner if I let the sorceress die in the teleported... I think maybe I did. Although normally I very merciful to NPC folk Hmmm

Wasn't she a right cow? I might google that scene see if I remember...

Yeah I let her live. I'm a nice Witcher

Also, a new cinematic trailer

http://youtu.be/NRfBgaSBQCI

Wouldn't it be awesome if we got movie trailers like that. Disney know they're going to get a 50 million views of the next Star Wars trailer, why not make it a little prelude scene or something. Thank god for video games

Giant Bomb livestreamed some of this a few hours ago.

GGztU2j.jpg

mUpQWov.jpg

jtDJLLR.jpg

The Witcher 3 seems like a quality product.

Works quite nicely as a hunting trophy. Were there more major glitches in the stream?

There was a bit where the cutscene they were in did nothing to compensate for the lighting (so when they did shot-reverse-shot, the guy they were talking to was so saturated with orange light that he was practically invisible), and that fucking horse eventually started whinnying, but otherwise it seemed fine for a console port.