melmer

The Witcher 3: What Geralt Wants

The woman is probably Ciri, whom Geralt has not remembered a lot about in the first games. The books are all about her, Yennefer and the wild hunt, but I don't want to spoil much.

Who? Okay, WHAT? That's cool spoilers. But seriously I ain't even heard of Ciri. butt that's fine as I highly doubt your'll need to know much of the backstory going into this one.

Who? Okay, WHAT? That's cool spoilers. But seriously I ain't even heard of Ciri. butt that's fine as I highly doubt your'll need to know much of the backstory going into this one.

She's mentioned a few times but I can't remember if it's W1 or W2. Yennefer is also a bit in 1 but a lot more in 2, it's explained as Geralt recovers more memories how he ended up where he started Witcher 1 at. She's in a lot of those artsy still pictures they use for memory cutscenes.

There's not much on the wild hunt in W1, in witcher 2 there's a bit more. 

Act 1 has some logs about abducted people in the insane asylum.

Act 2 I think you need to go to the dwarf town and the sorceress there tells you quite a bit.

Act 3 a side quest has a lot of info.

There's more random lore you can find around, maybe some in books you find as well.

I'm pretty sure you aren't going to save Ciri as much as follow her around looking at the stuff she's burned up.

Yeah I read up a bit on Ciri while refreshing my Yennefer memories, and thought that might be it. I just didn't think she'd ever been mentioned in the games so I thought it'd be weird.

I watched the trailer again because it's so pretty and I love the music and yeah I noticed Yennefer this time. CONFIRMED CIRI DANG.

She's mentioned in some of Geralt's recovered memories in TW2.

Trailer looks good, but Feb 2015 is a long way off. 

Reminds me I need to restart TWII. I got a fair way through it at release, but RL intervened and I never got back to it, and like anything once you've been away from it for a while your muscle memory gets shot. Interested to see how how differently it played with the enhanced additions. I recall the fight with the monster at Flotsam was a particularly painful exercise in the joys of the QTE, not helped by some lousy optimisation, so I'm hoping that's been addressed. 

GOG galaxy I figure is a necessary step to attract new games to the site, as its a necessary conduit for patch delivery. I'm not against it as an idea tbh as long as it runs ok. 

I think there is an option in the menu to turn off the QTEs, or at least some of them. I'm not sure if it affects the Kayran fight.

It removes the button mashing of it I think. It's still a tough fight. I guess it makes sense. The other boss in act 1 is even tougher though, they fixed some of the spells you could use to trivialise it.

Thanks to my being an exhibitor of Elite Dangeroud at E3, I got into the CD Project Red meeting room, and gush at the guys :P! To be fair,  one of the guys squeeled "Eliiiiiiiite" when he saw my shirt! I was invited to a closed screening of some new stuff, but had to decline because our own room was too busy. I did get take a few cool photos though :)

10405277_10152982305939152_6678273149579

57517_10152982306064152_8754835619575899

10371370_10152982306159152_2634918578624

This game continues to look gorgeous:

Edit: Seems like this has not been posted here yet either.

Looks great! Seems to play more like The Witcher 2 than I expected, but that's probably good as hopefully it means they can focus more on the content since the tech is in place. I hope hunting monsters like the Griffin will be a relatively larger part of the game than in The Witcher 2. Although after having read the books I'm not as convinced as before that being Geralt should be all about monster hunting and less about politics, I wouldn't mind if that aspect was more emphasized for the games.

I just reread The Last Wish and Blood Of Elves, those are good books. Last Wish is the best though, it is just a series of vignettes with a framing story. The sequel to blood of elves has also been translated to english, I think I will read it as well. It does prominently feature Ciri (Blood of Elves does, I mean, I can't speak for the sequel yet).

I'm going to replay 2 as well (I have a playthrough started) but I want to even more after rereading the books.

new gamplay

i wish they'd show off some of the sailing, or at least a different environment. This is like the third time we've seen swamp. Still looks amazing :tup:

She's mentioned a few times but I can't remember if it's W1 or W2. Yennefer is also a bit in 1 but a lot more in 2, it's explained as Geralt recovers more memories how he ended up where he started Witcher 1 at. She's in a lot of those artsy still pictures they use for memory cutscenes.

Ciri is hinted at in the first game, but it's more of an easter egg. I don't think they were expecting to put her in the later games, and so they created a similar character with Alvin

What Geralt wants
What Geralt needs
Whatever makes me happy sets you free
And I'm thanking you for knowing exactly
What Geralt wants
What Geralt needs
Whatever keeps me in your arms
And I'm thanking you for giving it to me
Yeah Yeah

Don't mess with Yennefer.

So it went up on youtube before the countdown ended? How anti-climatic :(

Me too, but I am most certain that my gt 430 won´t work for this one (unless it was crazily well ported, like MG Ground Zeros, which works fine for me. But I do also confess start to fear a little about the game performance once they said the system requirements).

I think I need my PC upgraded anyway, it's about 3 years old and has some other problems. Also want a NVIDIA card with <whatever-their-word-is-for-the-streaming-stuff> so I can try in-home streaming even while I don't have a proper Steam box yet.