Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Antichamber

Did the steam remote install thing to try to install it on my computer at home, but I don't know if that has ever worked properly for me. We'll see when I get home, I guess.

This was a Day One Perch ever since I played the Hazard: Journey of Life demo. Really looking forward to it.

Yeah, so I got this and downloaded it, but between some coop far cry 3 (which is kinda awfull on ps3 because mic communication be broke), ni no kuni and proteus haven't gotten to it.

Wow, typing it all out like that I played a ton of videogaems tonight. Impressive.

Korax, that's some impressive progress! I'm stuck at

The laser wall currently.

Had to put it down when I realized I was too tired to play a game this cerebral.

Korax, that's some impressive progress! I'm stuck at

The laser wall currently.

Had to put it down when I realized I was too tired to play a game this cerebral.

Is that the one with the grid of lasers and a few blocks floating around in it? There's at least one other puzzle that will teach you the mechanic, but...

If you create a square/rectangular border out of cubes (on a wall or the floor or something), it will "grow" more cubes to fill in the shape. You can use the provided cubes to make however many more you need to block all the beams.

I like how the various mechanics are true throughout the entirety of the game, so even if you haven't necessarily been taught something, you can still figure it out through brute force experimentation as long as you have the right version of the brick gun. I spent a good twenty minutes messing around with the puzzle that locked me out of a gun upgrade, solved it with what I first thought was an exploit, and then found the simpler puzzle that was supposed to teach me how to do that very thing in order to solve it.

There's also a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff in it. Not like Portal's Ratman dens, but rooms filled with concept art and design models. A decent chunk of the dead ends on that map are those sorts of things. I can't wait to get home after work to beat my head against those last few rooms.

Is that the one with the grid of lasers and a few blocks floating around in it? There's at least one other puzzle that will teach you the mechanic, but...

If you create a square/rectangular border out of cubes (on a wall or the floor or something), it will "grow" more cubes to fill in the shape. You can use the provided cubes to make however many more you need to block all the beams.

Ugh, I just spent a ton of time trying to figure this one out.

I just didn't realized you could make a square anywhere. I thought it had to be in those glass tracks.

Yeah, wish I had found that other tutorial puzzle beforehand. Still, it's good to keep in mind that some puzzles are worth skipping momentarily in favor of exploration that might produce an easier solution. Which reminds me of how Fez is meant to be played.

Just finished it. Turns out you can get to the exit room a lot earlier than I did, but I likely didn't see it because of my tired state. Five minutes in with a relatively fresh brain, and I went through the ending sequence pretty handily. I still didn't get to one of the undiscovered connections on my map, so there's that to ponder over, but it's also good to know that you don't necessarily need a lot of exploration in order to "beat" the game.

Finished it; all but one puzzle to go. I enjoyed it quite a bit, although I think I was disappointed how the game didn't have anything too perception-shattering after the stuff in the preview version. Still, I liked that it was a Metroidvania puzzle game, don't get a lot of those, and that the promise of that demo was mostly realised. I guess all that's left is to find the purple cubes and work out what else there is to do in The End.

You guys, already... beat it?

This makes me feel like a 5 year old or something...

I like how every time I feel I'm making good progress I hit the "real" puzzle of the section I'm at and it seems absolutely impossible

I hear a speedrun was something below 7 minutes.

(still haven't bought the game myself yet)

I hear you can reach the "end" without solving all of the puzzles. But I haven't looked further into it for fear of spoilers.

Don't worry owen, I got stuck a few days back and I haven't opened it for fear of being frustrated. Have to work up the nerve again. (this happens far too often to me)

I've heard of people skipping devices, though I'm not sure how you manage to get all the way down to 7 minutes. Most puzzles are technically optional, but valuable because they allow you to experiment with the mechanics of the game that the blocking puzzles assume you know.

Just finished this, and man did it turn into a slog towards the end! The best part was the middle, when I had started to get a handle on the logic of the game and could move from room to room, try a dumb thing, discover something new or see something familiar in a new environment and suddenly realise something fundamental about the nature of the game. Towards the end that faded away, and it became more of a sort of gauntlet of chores to reach the ending.

This game is so great! I suck at puzzle games but this one keeps me going by being so mind bendingly neat with the non euclidianess of it all.

Wow! Nicely designed game. Played about an hour or less, more right now would hurt my brain. For now, it seems that you can never really get stuck, as there are so many things to do in each direction. I can't imagine how something like this is designed.

Just completed it, pretty awesome game. I still feel like there are a lot of secrets I'm not aware of yet though.

Just completed it, pretty awesome game. I still feel like there are a lot of secrets I'm not aware of yet though.

Definitely. The whole ending is like a trap, like the game says to you «Yeah, you found this obvious thing, so what.» Like Fez, completing it seems almost like the wrong thing to do.

My thought is that after the initial 1 or 2 hours I spent, I just haven't found the desire to go back to it. Not sure why.

I think it's the lack of an explicit narrative that's keeping it on my unfinished list. I know, how facile. But no matter how ingenious the puzzles, I just can't get that into a puzzle (or any) game that's purely mechanistic. (and is longer than an hour (pats Proteus on the head reassuringly))

A big barrier for me initially getting into the game was that I couldn't help but feel that the puzzle solutions were completely arbitrary. On a few occasions, I literally just stumbled into an answer, so the game didn't really feel fun, it felt more like a series of random actions that eventually led to an unpredictable solution. But after playing through a few levels, I finally started feeling comfortable with 'reading' what the game was telling me, and the puzzle solutions stopped feeling random.  Now that I trust that the game has a point and isn't just trying to purposefully confuse me, I'm enjoying myself much more while playing.

As far as the lack of narrative is considered, I'm actually really glad the game doesn't bother with it. The mechanics are enough to handle on their own, I think I'd be overwhelmed if their was a story that I had to also pay attention to. The little philosophical/hint cards that appear between levels are enough to keep me going.