Sign in to follow this  
I_smell

Animated Shorts

Backed! If only because I want to see more of those tree-things with legs that got cut down!

Wow, has this thread really been dead for a whole year?

That's a great little animation, huge amounts of energy and a great focus just rendering it's characters movement and emotions in the most effective possible way.

In some ways It's so simple I almost hesitate to think of it as a traditional story. Sometimes short animations try and throw a overcomplicated narrative arc into the few mins they have, but this didn't and felt all the better for it.

I feel like I need another word to describe something with this sort of economy of narrative, perhaps "a sketch" is the closest thing that comes to mind but more in the way that term is used in comedy rather than in art.

The eponymous "Shorts" as a catch all term with no sub categories does not quite work for me Shammack, but Bravo all the same  :D

Or well if it should (& perhaps it should), a lot of things which label themselves that are really bloating the core concept.

and it doesn't feel like it's just a difference of narrative ambition.

idk >_<

it just feels there's something very different going on with for example "The Order to Stop Construction"  & "Moses" that makes me feel uncomfortable with calling both "shorts" and just leaving it at that.

I decided to ask a friend who actually makes his living doing stop motion animation to see if I was being silly.

Turns out there is considered to be subcategory of short films, that encompasses most works under a few mins of length(complete with its own awards ,festivals etc). The name used for this sub category it is.....Very Short Films .

Grrrr :(

Gonna cheer myself up by adding a link most people have probably seen but I love anyway

Pretty much anything that says animated by STUDIO4°C is enough to get me too click it...

You Yoshinari (an animator who's worked on Gurren Lagann, among other things) made a couple of soundless short sequences based on Osamu Tezuka properties.

I really wish this were a trailer for something much larger and not actually just a two-minute short, because hot damn.

I never have much to post here, but those of you who do, I just want you to know my heart does a little jump for joy every time I see this thread has new posts.

I never have much to post here, but those of you who do, I just want you to know my heart does a little jump for joy every time I see this thread has new posts.

Happy to be of service.

Nice, creative little idea. Nothing mind-blowing, but a sweet 4 minutes nonetheless :)

Can't wait til I finish work so I can catch up on this thread tbh

http://www.loopdeloop.org/

LoopdeLoop is an animation challenge. Each month, animators from around the world create looping animations based on a given topic and upload them to www.loopdeloop.org. On the last Tuesday of the month all of the posted loops are compiled and screened to a live audience at Loop in Melbourne, Australia. During the screening a winner is declared, who enters the hall of fame and has their loop featured throughout the following month.