Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 92: The Mind-Tech Contingency

A mighty, mighty episode.

I was agog and abuzz and afizz to hear anyone, ever mention that great game "Spycraft: The Great Game". It's a hobby-horse of mine, about which I have a bee in my bonnet. I wrote a thing about it, if anyone's interested: http://www.bongoludo.com/i-spy/ I don't think I have anything particularly insightful to say about Spycraft (:TGG), it's just that it's such a remarkable game: weird at the time, and now - for a variety of mostly nightmarish reasons - even weirder.

Tremendous.gif

Wow, well done affe. Uh, I mean atte. A dream come true.

It looks like Jake isn't paying attention to what he's doing in that gif.

Yeah, he's all like, "Check out the rack on the blonde in row C!"

So, of course, I've had SimCity in my head for the last few days.. but the only version I currently have is on SNES which is a very poor substitute for what I am now expecting. Sigh.

I fired guns in Vegas. (The gun store, it's just off the strip) I fired a desert eagle (so I could pretend to be agent smith) with hollow point rounds, which is kinda pointless when you're firing at a piece of paper, but they looked cool in the oily magazine. And a M4.

The experience was really strange and not what I was expecting at all. I was expecting huge recoil off the desert eagle (as I'd seen a woman hit herself in the face on youtubes) but there wasn't. Then I couldn't figure out how to hold the M4 properly as they gave me one with a vertical handle sticking out the bottom of the barrel, and although there is a kick again there was no really sense of power, these guns are designed with shock absorbers and what not. It ultimately just felt like I was holding a toy. I tried firing most of the magazine in continuous fire, holding down the trigger, to see if I could get two bullets to fire in relatively the same direction... I sprayed the entire fucking room. I thought the experience would have real weight, I'd feel that I was firing a death machine of huge power and consequence... I actually felt nothing apart from a little awkward and embarrassed about what a terrible shot I was. Scary.

---

I had a job a few years ago where people could request brouchers from us over the internet, and i'd do a daily run to the post box where i'd dump all the previous days requests, until... 'The Post Man' tracked us down and told us off, we apparently weren't allowed to just post stuff and had to pay for a business account from the post office :fart:

Boooooo I got all excited about Simcity and hoped they'd be making a new iPad version... They're not :sadface:

^ that basketball gif is amazing

Yes, you'd think big guns would have a lot of recoil, but the simple fact of added weight adds stability. When I was last in the states, I fired a smaller snubnosed magnum and a damn big one. The small one, really damn hard to control. A lot of kickback! The big one, not nearly as much.

I searched for "gun tourism" and found several right-wing articles talking about how great Sandy Hook was because it boosted gun sales and gun tourism.

3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

(that's my monthly quota for memes filled up)

Does anyone know where I can find information about the next round of Escape From The Mysterious Room? The current one's all booked and I missed it! Them Thumbs said the next one was coming in March or April, but I cannot find no kinda infos on-the-line about such a thing. http://realescapegame.com/events/ got nothing for me.

Try their EventBrite page; click on the "Mysterious Room" event and then look in the drop-down list for dates (mostly Feb and March). Hubby and I may be trying to go to one for our anniversary in mid-February; we could make it a Thumbs-Up if enough people are interested.

I could be into that. If we're trying to book 11, it looks like it'll have to be a week day.

EDIT: Looks like everything's sold out 'till March. There're some Wednesdays with 11 tickets left in March.

Fantastic episode. Glad I survived the mindkill.

Edit: that gif is awesome

I could be into that. If we're trying to book 11, it looks like it'll have to be a week day.

EDIT: Looks like everything's sold out 'till March. There're some Wednesdays with 11 tickets left in March.

Oh, er, I doubt we could muster 11 people, so it would probably only be a partially-thumbed group.

Thanks for the gif love. I wanted to keep the OG NES resolution so face shrinking was pretty brutal (Jake's mood swing is great).

post-26597-0-22110300-1360018548_thumb.gif

Sim city will have a store (page 9 of the manual)

SIMCITy STORE Click the banner on the main menu to enter the SimCity Store. Here, you’ll find special add-ons for sale. Select STORE to view the full list of additional game content (both free and paid) that can provide you with new gameplay possibilities

Hopefully it'll just be a place to buy the expansions (British pack, etc) like in the sims and not delve into micro transactions

The city simulation is so advanced it even has a store! e: or should that be "commercial meta-district"?

I want to listen to the simcity discussion again to absorb as much simcity as possible.

I did this. I was just as excited about Sim City the second time.

Thanks for the gif love. I wanted to keep the OG NES resolution so face shrinking was pretty brutal (Jake's mood swing is great).

post-26597-0-22110300-1360018548_thumb.gif

So very impressive...

The only problem I have is that it, uh, probably should have been Gaynor rather than Vanamananaman. :D

Hope you don't mind me stealing your assets :)

You should've changed the spaceship to a kazoo, too.