Erkki

Damn it, but computers have become really complicated

Yeah, I mean I think that's the logical next step,along with plugging in another gpu into the slot you currently use. That way you can determine if it is an issue with your GPU or with your motherboard, I assume if it was the motherboard it just wouldn't detect any sort of GPU there and fallback on the integrated graphics. 

Also you could try a different cable or output on the card, I know of my GTX 970 I have a few different output options there. 

I'm gonna get a GPU and try it in my computer. I'd rather fry a GPU in my computer than fry someone else's computer with my GPU!

Looking for input & anecdotal experience with a few parts on a new build -

I got a green light from my Ma to put together a build for my step-father for Christmas

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/2JRjJV

He is intending on playing driving/racing & flying games.  My intent is to future proof long past his video game attention span - and be strong enough for the cad & music editing software he does at home as well.  Currently he has an old rig of mine (~2009-2011 parts) that runs some software well - some not great.

What i am looking for thoughts on is specifically the video card.  Currently showing a MSI 1060 - but could easily swap to an AMD RX 480.

Both are around the same price, but for a low/semi-technical computer person which brand (AMD vs NVIDIA) seems to work better?  Catalyst control center is a hot mess, but nvidia has been underwhelming on their driver stability lately

Other points of saving / power reduction would be in the mobo/ram/CPU - maybe a gen4 ddr3 setup, but i think upfront monies pay dividends since wouldn't re-build this for another 5-6 yrs (or more)

ty in advance!

You've got a board built to overclock but your chip can't. Get an H170 board instead. ASUS or ASRock both seem fine. You might consider reinvesting that money into a different power supply. Rosewill is the Newegg house brand. Some of their 80+ Gold stuff at higher wattages has reviewed well, but the lower end stuff hasn't been reviewed at all. You're PROBABLY fine, but you could go with an EVGA or XFX Bronze and do better. The EVGA 750 B2 is a steal at $50 if you're buying parts this week. You're going to actually do better at power saving running an efficient power supply than by putting less RAM in it.

I did ATI cards once upon a time, but it's been nVidia for years now. Nvidia is easy enough to install, and easy enough to roll back if there are issues.

Anecdotal experience - I just bought that case. It's bigger than my old case but it's extremely sturdy and I love the stuff they've done to make it easier to install and move cables around. The USB ports on the top front of the case in the same spot as the power button is a great touch. It's a BIG case for a standard mid tower, though.

I couldn't find any posts about this topic, so sorry if this is redundant.

I am wanting to upgrade my desktop pc. It has gotten a little behind on specs and is a few years old (base specs below). However, I don't know a lot about upgrades with all the new tech available. I know I can upgrade the graphics card, but I don't know how much I can upgrade. For example, would a Nvidia 900 series be to big of an upgrade? Also, can I upgrade the processor? I have listed some of the base specs below if anyone has some ideas. I don't have the funds to buy or build a complete new rig. I also don't have any interest in VR right now. Thanks for the help.

Alienware Alpha X51 (the smaller desktop line)

Intel i3 2120 / 3.3ghz: (socket type listed as LGA1155)

Intel h61 chipset,

8 GB DDR3 SDRAM, can support 16

graphics card is Nvidia GeForce GT 545

Not your fault our computer questions thread is a bit poorly named :)

What do you mean by too big of an upgrade exactly?

If you are worried about parts compatibility https://pcpartpicker.com/ is a good resource.

You can upgrade your processor but you will need to clean off the thermal paste from your motherboard before doing so, which can be a bit finicky.

It looks like your chipset supports Ivy Bridge (intel's 3000-series CPUs). You might be able to get one retail, or check eBay for a used one. You'll need to do research on compatibility, but it looks like Dell did sell the X51 with an i7-3770 so it must be possible to fit something faster than what you've got. If it's compatible, the 3570 would be a decent choice.

They're easy enough to swap over, like Cordeos says you'll have to clean off the old thermal paste and put new paste on.

From what a web search tells me, the power supply in the X51 was pretty weak (240W), so you may need a new one if you're going to upgrade. Problem there is the X51 was a mini PC so likely doesn't have the standard ATX power supply. On the other hand, a web search indicates the TDP of the GT545 was 105W, so the GTX 1050ti (at 75W) might do the job. It's a cheap card as well - just check it will actually fit in the X51's case.

Thanks for the reply.  So I ended up with the i5 6600k and msi z170A gaming m5 when microcenter put out a BF combo deal.  I have little interest in over clocking out the gate, but should be pretty able in the future

I did get the Rosewill bronze.  It was down to 35, couldn't pass it up, on a bigger budget an EVGA would have been my first choice.

All in all the build came up better than the link above - also am going to use an old case for the time being, plenty of airflow - just not as clean looking.

My last piece is a GPU - I want an rx-480 8gb, but reading lots of black screen problems after few weeks.  The alternative is a 1060, but in slack someone pointed out the AMD's are probably better suited considering the budget for the flight Sims it's being built for.

Hey guys, I have some questions about building a PC. I'm in kind of an odd spot now. 

I had an Alienware mini-tower that I picked up a few Black Fridays ago and it's worked quite well. Earlier this year I wanted to get a SSD and up my graphics card. I bought the graphics card on a sale without thinking too much, and....the damn thing was absolutely massive. I could not return it. I was moving and had no time to sell it. I bought the first case I found that was big enough to hold it. When I tried to move everything over it turns out that moving stuff from Alienware is much more complicated than usually, so I took it to a pro. It was fairly cheap and easy, but b/c I rushed buying the case as well I failed to realize that it has zero disk drive slots/bays. So now I have my PC with good graphics card and good hard drive/SSD combo, but it's a Frankenstein case that I can no longer chuck in my backpack, can't play DVDs in, low on RAM and the processor is not very good.

So! I'm thinking of buying a new processor and some RAM and moving all this to a smaller case, hopefully finding a buyer for the graphics card and getting a smaller version. I've been told that buying a new processor basically means buying a new motherboard, ie buying a whole new computer. What's the best way to approach this?

On 3/29/2016 at 0:21 AM, SecretAsianMan said:

Can anyone recommend a good VPN?  Specifically one with access to a lot of countries, namely China.

No responses to this a year ago. Does anyone here use VPNs now? Are they worth it? Got any recommendations? My primary motivations would be circumnavigating regional restrictions, and safe torrenting...

(for future searches: virtual private network)

I am considering doing a major upgrade this year and getting a 8700k processor and 1TB M.2 hard drive. To do this I will need a new motherboard and have absolutely no idea what is good. Any suggestions?

On 10/16/2017 at 10:24 AM, Cordeos said:

I am considering doing a major upgrade this year and getting a 8700k processor and 1TB M.2 hard drive. To do this I will need a new motherboard and have absolutely no idea what is good. Any suggestions?

It will have to the Z370, which is basically a rebranded Z270 that costs a bit more. I’m piecing together my first gaming PC by Christmas after being on consoles for last 10 years and decided to go 7th gen for now and upgrade on 9th or 10th gen as 8th gen seems a bit rushed and I don’t want the stress of hunting around for an i5 8400 and instead just want to build ASAP so I can stop gaming on my iMac. At the end of the day I got a 7600k, and saved a chunk picking it up on sale at Microcenter. 

Has anyone ever used a split keyboard?  I need a new one and I'm seriously considering getting a Freestyle Edge Split Gaming Keyboard from Kinesis.  I'm loathe to get another "gaming" keyboard but I love ergonomic keyboards and a split keyboard would also work well to replace the keypad I currently use for most of my PC gaming.  I'd like to stick with a mechanical one although preferably with quieter switches.  The Freestyle Edge hits those marks (and a few others I don't necessarily need but aren't bad to have), but it's also a lot of money to drop on a keyboard.  I need someone to talk me into/out of this.

After a big Windows update (Fall Creator's Update or something like that) I can't play Youtube videos properly on Chrome anymore. Slow buffering, choppy playback, ramping etc. I have to use Edge (ugh). Of course, when playing Youtube videos on Edge, Youtube shows helpful hints that you should be using Chrome. It's annoying and I can't find anyone else who had this problem and solved it.