Erkki

Damn it, but computers have become really complicated

ty again for the feed back.  i spent another hour or so watching youtube reviews last night - as of this morning i was in the logitech camp...now im oscillating back to game1.  

i'll either have an epiphany or flip a coin around lunch time

The hyperx (first series) has no audio-controls such as volume and mute on the headset itself. The hyperx2s sounded like crap on my machine when I plugged them into the usb-adapter for volume control and "surround-sound". They also felt painful for me to wear because they squeeze kinda hard on my head. They might be the best gaming-headsets out there for all

I know. I quickly realized that I'd much prefer a good pair of headphones even though the mic part is inconvenient.

Oh man, I have they hyper x2s and they sound great on my machine, they did sound terrible without the USB DAC though.

Oh man, I have they hyper x2s and they sound great on my machine, they did sound terrible without the USB DAC though.

Weird. Maybe my computer isn't properly grounded or something. If I used the 3.5mm jack it would sound fine (still not as good as a nice pair of headphones), but when I plugged them into the USB soundcard thing everything sounded like it was a lower bit-rate. Who knows why.

Okay I've read some reviews for the new Nividia cards and here is my opinion on which one you should buy for a few different use cases:

1: Do you want to spend $200 on 25% better performance in a video card? No? Then buy the 1070 not the 1080.

2: Do you want to run games at 4K? See above. When you are done looking at the above, go into all of your games and turn off anti aliasing. From all the reviews I've seen this will get you 50 FPS in most games at 4K and odds are you can barely tell the difference. Even if you demand 60+ with anti aliasing at 4K the 1080 can't quite pull that off so you're likely better off getting two 1070's in SLI. Jury is still out on SLI with Pascal though so hold off for a bit if that's what looking for.

3: What about AMD? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I have no idea what AMD is up to but from what I know AMD has mostly been focused on budget leaning cards so I'm not sure what they have to offer here. Others may know more on this.

4: Should I even be looking to upgrade my card to begin with? depends, if you're fine playing games at around 30 FPS at 1080 at medium settings any mid tier card from the last two years should be fine for a year or two at least, so in that case no. If you want something more then that then as long as you have the budget go for it.

5: Do you want to run games at 8K? You have enough money to build your damn mansion out of Titan X's why are you reading this?

6: Do you have some other specific use case I haven't covered? You likely know more about what you need then I do so I'll leave you to figure out what to pick up.

This are my off the cuff thoughts on the new Nividia cards. Please like, share, and subscribe so I can keep providing great content like this!

Vulpes - those seem pretty spot on.

After the 1070 information that has come out over the last few days unless you are doing 4K or want ultra/epic settings - then the 1070 is a better buy than 1080.

Ive got CF 6870 cards - so i am very due to for an upgrade - 1080 was appealing...but if i can do a 1070 for ~200 less i'll get the card and a case!

I'd like to shake the AMD lifestyle, and dont expect the Computex news from them tomorrow to be anywhere near competitive to the GTX 10 series - unless really swayed by price point

Even as someone who is looking to do 4K I'll likely just get a 1070 and look at getting a second one down the road. This kind of jump in power indicates to me that we are about to see a huge jump in how demanding games are so I suspect these cards are not going to last as long in terms of relevance compared to older cards. I suspect it'll be at least two years before things stabilizes enough for a top of the line card to stay that way for more then a year. Obviously every card is outdated a year after it comes out but I suspect that will be extra true for these cards.

I was slightly deflated thinking about how these compare to a brand new 970 I bought last year, but I'm more than happy with my purchase. It came with the Witcher 3, that was just about the most beautiful game I've ever seen, and I have a pair of 1080p monitors with no real plan to upgrade in the near future (just going from 1 monitor to 2 was a crazy lifestyle change). The 970 is going to fit my 1080p game life for at least as long as it takes for Pascal cards to drop under $300. I'm good, if a bit jealous at how the bars are bigger for the video cards with a 10 instead of a 9.

I was slightly deflated thinking about how these compare to a brand new 970 I bought last year, but I'm more than happy with my purchase. It came with the Witcher 3, that was just about the most beautiful game I've ever seen, and I have a pair of 1080p monitors with no real plan to upgrade in the near future (just going from 1 monitor to 2 was a crazy lifestyle change). The 970 is going to fit my 1080p game life for at least as long as it takes for Pascal cards to drop under $300. I'm good, if a bit jealous at how the bars are bigger for the video cards with a 10 instead of a 9.

If it makes you feel any better, I bought a 970 in March. Folks were telling me it was crazy to buy a card when nVidia had new ones coming soon, but then I heard about the delay and expected it to be a year, not a couple of months. *shrug*

I'm still running a 770, so will likely be jumping to a 1070 this year. Gotta save for a while though. Stupid student loans...

I'm still running a 770, so will likely be jumping to a 1070 this year. Gotta save for a while though. Stupid student loans...

Ah I have the same card. Haven't decided whether or not to upgrade. Hitman runs well, but I don't have other AAA games to test. Are some of your games running poorly to prompy the upgrade?

Look at you guys and your fancy 770's. I'm still rolling with an AMD 6850. Unless some surprise comes along I'll probably pick up a 1070 this fall so I can rejoin the world of PC gaming. Wondering if I should upgrade my CPU as well..it's a i5-2500k, which is apparently still enough to hang in there these days?

Ah I have the same card. Haven't decided whether or not to upgrade. Hitman runs well, but I don't have other AAA games to test. Are some of your games running poorly to prompy the upgrade?

Just enough things are chugging on me that I've decided it's probably time. Most notably The Witcher and Just Cause (though JC3 apparently ran bad for most people regardless of GPU). It's not something I NEED to do right away, but it'll have been 4 years since my last upgrade come January and that's about the time I'm looking to step up. 

Well, I'm having some weird issues with my laptop. I think something might be seriously wrong with it :(

I have a 4 year old macbook pro. My original power chord died a while ago, so I've been using a cheap third party one that I bought off of Amazon. Last night, my cat decided to roll over into the power chord and somehow cause it to do something terrible. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but my computer turned itself off immediately, and the power chord no longer works. Luckily I was able to borrow a friend's power chord while I try to figure out what's wrong.

I have Windows 7 installed using bootcamp, (which is the OS I was using at the time). Windows will now no longer start up. Instead, it just hangs on the windows logo forever.

Surprisingly, I can start the computer up in OSX, and everything seems to be running fine, except that the computer no longer recognizes my battery. The battery indicator in OSX has an X through it, and when I click on it tells me that no battery is available. It seems like the battery is actually working, though, because the computer doesn't shut down as soon as I unplug the chord. The other weird thing is that my fan seems to be always running at full power no matter what temperature my computer is.

I don't know much about electronics, but it seems like a power surge has fried something or other in my whatever stuff. The computer's out of warranty and I'm pretty much broke, so I'm hoping I don't have to replace the motherboard or anything. I'm backing up my files now, and I was thinking about formatting the hard drive, but I don't know if that would be a good idea if this is a hardware issue. Any advice would be welcome.

If you can access the windows recovery console on that Win7 partition, you can probably run an automated startup repair and get into the OS at least. Not sure about the battery or fan.

I tried that, and startup repair doesn't seem to be working at all. It hung on the loading screen for startup repair for about 2 hours. I'm probably going to take this thing to the mac store when I get a chance, to get an estimate if nothing else.

I just bought a used 770 a few months ago. I've been really happy with it as every game I've tried with it runs perfectly. Even DooM 4 demo, which was a positive surprise to me as I also have just a Core2Quad processor and not even i5 or i7.

The gpu has a bit annoying noisy stock fan, but I can live with it.

I brought this machine to an apple store, and the guy unplugged the battery and 'reset the power system', and that seemed to fix all the problems. Kind of wish I had a PC so I could have done that myself, but it was free so I'm not complaining too much. Now I'm installing 203810254 updates to Windows 7.

I noticed that it's currently free to upgrade to Windows 10. Is that worth it? I have no problems at all with Windows 7, but if it's free maybe I should take the plunge. I'm just nervous that there will be a lot of junk that I never use, a cluttered interface, links to the Windows store which I will never use and that it will constantly bug me to make a Microsoft account and to play all my games through their store. Is that stuff real or just in my imagination. Also, I play a lot of old games, will they still run?

I really like Windows 10. There is an easy to use compatibility-mode within it, you right-click on the .exe > select properties > compatibility > chosse version. It doesn't always work though, I haven't been able to run the first Pirate Kart games through it, but the launcher runs.

It does install a bunch of trash by default, but 10 is highly and easily customizable. After doing a fresh install, I goninto Windows Store just to ancel all the downloads it starts by default.

10 has the newest DirectX, will have security updates for a longer period of time than 7, and I really like the new version of the Task Manager where I can see what is eating up network bandwidth. I have no idea if it's good for your situation though. I know nothing about dual-booting on a mac or if you would use these new features.

I'm mainly worried about the pre-Steam version of RPG Maker 2003, since I have a big project going in it right now (as you know). I think I'll stick with Windows 7 for now just to be safe.

I've made a small game in RPGMaker2003 running Windows 10. The only issue I ran into was when the keyboard keys wouldn't do anything, but they made a fix that took care of the problem for me.