Erkki

Damn it, but computers have become really complicated

Yeah, I've done GPU and RAM upgrades before, and those were easy. I've just paying for the cheap motherboard/CPU bundle I got when I first built my PC ever since.

After upgrading to windows 10, my X360 controllers stopped working. I reinstalled some drivers, etc and now they will connect so I can use them.

However I've lost the "home button" functionality with the center button. Before it would boot up Big Picture and call up the menu in game. Super handy.

Any thoughts on how to get back to where I was before?

Did you launch the game from Big Picture mode? On windows 8, I was pressing the center button expecting to get the Steam overlay, but no dice.

I have never tried that before, the only thing I've done (successfully) of that nature was swapping the processor but keeping the motherboard. It seems like the thing you're mentioning shouldn't work, but who knows? I'm really curious to see what happens.

So I swapped the motherboard and CPU out. When I powered my system back on, I needed to connect to the motherboard's HDMI slot rather than my GPU's to get anything to display. Surprisingly, things from there went really smooth. It sat there on a "Windows is updating" screen for a while, but after maybe 15 minutes, it booted up and things seem to be running normally. I just need to install some drivers. Otherwise, things are looking good.

EDIT: This driver CD from Asrock is trying to get my to install a Google Toolbar. What is this, 2002?

After upgrading to windows 10, my X360 controllers stopped working. I reinstalled some drivers, etc and now they will connect so I can use them.

However I've lost the "home button" functionality with the center button. Before it would boot up Big Picture and call up the menu in game. Super handy.

Any thoughts on how to get back to where I was before?

This same thing happened to me, I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one.  I'm treating it the same way I've been treating all little hiccups with Win10-- hoping that it will soon just be fixed via patch.  This already happened with video drivers so I'm thinking it might just be a waiting game.  

The other solution I've thought of is getting a Steam controller when they come out, but that also depends on how those are received.  Anyone have any firsthand experience?  Also how exactly do they connect, should I pick up an internal bluetooth card?

This same thing happened to me, I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one. I'm treating it the same way I've been treating all little hiccups with Win10-- hoping that it will soon just be fixed via patch. This already happened with video drivers so I'm thinking it might just be a waiting game.

The other solution I've thought of is getting a Steam controller when they come out, but that also depends on how those are received. Anyone have any firsthand experience? Also how exactly do they connect, should I pick up an internal bluetooth card?

That would be nice - but the pessimist in me thinks drivers for the ye olde X360 will not be a high priority at all.

I'm hopeful re the steam controller, but worry that it will be near impossible to break the current 4 face/4 trigger/2 stick hegemony after all these years.

My headphones are starting to go, so I was browsing headphones, which led to me browsing mice, which led to me browsing mouse pads. I haven't had a mouse pad in years, but maybe I should get one, I was thinking.

I know computers are complicated. I understand this. But enough people on Amazon asked "Will this work with Windows 10/Windows 8/A Mac" that it can't just be everyone joking, can it? It's some combination of people being that naive about computers or me being that gullible, and either way it upsets me.

This was a very helpful review when I was choosing a mouse pad.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RBNNUCKOQMAP1/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000UEZ36W&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=172282&store=electronics

I have that mouse pad and confirm its compatibility with Windows 10.

Thank goodness! I don't have time for compatibility issues.

I'm getting nvidia kernel driver crashes on a fresh install of Windows 10 (I used to get them with Windows 7 also). I'm using the latest driver (but I was using an older one and it happened then as well). I installed nothing but Steam and Rocket League after a clean install to see if the problem continued to occur. It does. Any recommendations for a next step? I'm considering moving forward with my planned purchase of a Nvidia 970 to see if that fixed the problem, but I was hoping to wait until it's bundled with a game I want to play rather than Metal Gear.

I'm getting nvidia kernel driver crashes on a fresh install of Windows 10 (I used to get them with Windows 7 also). I'm using the latest driver (but I was using an older one and it happened then as well). I installed nothing but Steam and Rocket League after a clean install to see if the problem continued to occur. It does. Any recommendations for a next step? I'm considering moving forward with my planned purchase of a Nvidia 970 to see if that fixed the problem, but I was hoping to wait until it's bundled with a game I want to play rather than Metal Gear.

There was a hotfix out yesterday for the latest Nvidia Windows 10 driver. I'm on my phone, so I don't have the link.

I may have fixed the problem by blowing the dust-bunnies out of my graphics card with compressed air. Every game of Rocket League was crashing; I've played about 10 in a row since with no crashes.

For the record, my GPU temperature wasn't going over 62c at any given time. Apparently dust causes more problems than just over-heating.

Things seem to be working fine again after the dust-excorcism, but it's nice to know I'm among such helpful and generous individuals as yourselves.

Can I have the dust?

When I clean out the next batch, I'll keep you in mind. There was a good amount, but I didn't have the forethought to save it in case someone wanted it.

I'm trying to think of what other treasures I might be trashing. Earlier this summer I could have given you enough cat-hair to stuff a throw-pillow.

I have a long haired cat who loves those cardboard scratching posts more than anything. I have this constant layer of cardboard scraps and fur in the room her scratching post is in that would also make great stuffing for any arts and crafts you may have. Free, if you'll pay the shipping from Canada to the UK.

There are plenty of local neighbourhood cats I can gather hair from, thanks.

Looks like some robots are trying to force their way into my site, at any rate my security plugin has notified me of 200ish fraudulent login attempts since last night.

I got a secure password and said plugin, which locks out anybody trying to get in with nonexistent usernames or by spamming attempts, do I need to do anything else or do these critters go away after a while?

Fortunately the mild annoyance of being bombarded with security notifications is the worst that has happened so far.