Erkki

Damn it, but computers have become really complicated

Can you do some sort of software reset on it? Maybe some table or somesuch in there has gotten corrupted.

Ended up doing a hard reset back to factory conditions, so far everything seems great, but we'll see what it's like over the next day or two if the problem resurfaces or goes away. 

I was dumb and had a panic moment when nothing was working, before I remembered I had to release and renew my connection on my computer.

Grrr, I'm having more issues with file types and Lightworks. It doesn't like certain .avi codecs. But apparently this is common to a lot of high-end editing software suites, which I find weird. If VLC Player can handle it, surely expensive bits of kit like this should be able to?

I've never wanted absolute standard filetypes as much as I did while editing videos in college.

So my problems have continued unabated even after the hard reset.  I did the minimal amount of setup to get it working again, in case one of the old changes I made was causing this. 

I'll take a look at the routers that were just suggested earlier on this page. 

It's another standard IT response, but have you updated your firmware?  Sometimes things like that get fixed with updates.

Another possibility (depending on what router you have) is running custom firmware such as DD-WRT or Tomato.  That may be more effort than you're looking for though.

And of course it's entirely possible your hardware is indeed failing, in which case nothing I've said will help.

So there is a new firmware!  The auto-update on my router wasn't finding it, but a search on D-Link's site brought up a version almost a year newer than the one I have.  Of course when I try to download it, it fails to load the page, because of problems the router is having. :devil:

How hard is custom firmware to configure on a router?  I'm pretty savvy, I mean I build and maintain all my own hardware.  Have rooted and done custom OS installs on Android phones and whatnot.  For some reason networking stuff always intimidates the hell out of me though. 

Nevermind, I've got a DIR-655, and it isn't compatible with any open source firmware as near as I can tell.

Assuming you have a supported router, it's quite easy to put custom firmware on there and configure it, though it also depends on how deep into the configuration you want to go.  The real benefit of the custom stuff is it gives you a lot more control over your network settings but if that's not important then the manufacturer's firmware is probably fine.  Personally, I think it's easier to do than rooting a phone but I never got real heavy into either one.

Was able to download the newer firmware on another computer and just got it flashed.  Pages I couldn't load 10 minutes ago are now loading.  The release notes say it's just a minor security update and it is just one version number higher, but hopefully something was corrupted/broken and flashing it will take care of it. 

So my Firefox is having problems when it comes to loading some forum avatars on Idle Thumbs. As in, roughly one more user av will fail to load each week. It's not a Thumbs Forum problem because it fails to load ANY user avatars that rely on the Gravatar service. Is that what it is? Is it a scripting conflict?

I have a vague recollection of this happening a good while back but can't recall what the cause or fix was.

A couple of days ago I tried to play Neverwinter Nights 2 on Steam, but the game wouldn't accept any keyboard controls. I could type things into text fields to name my character and save games and stuff, but none of the keys for actually controlling anything during gameplay worked. So I gave up and uninstalled it.

Today I tried to play XCOM Enemy Unknown on Steam, but I couldn't click on anything. The mouse cursor moved, but it didn't register any clicks on the main menu. By using the keyboard I was able to navigate some parts of the menu far enough to start a game, but then I got into the tutorial and couldn't complete the first thing where it asks you to right-click to move to a spot. Right-clicking and double-clicking caused something to happen, like the camera would zoom in and out or grid lines would appear, but I still remained unable to actually click on anything. I also tried using a controller, and some buttons sort of worked, but not enough to actually play the game. So I guess I'm giving up and uninstalling it.

PC gaming is pretty awesome

So my Firefox is having problems when it comes to loading some forum avatars on Idle Thumbs. As in, roughly one more user av will fail to load each week. It's not a Thumbs Forum problem because it fails to load ANY user avatars that rely on the Gravatar service. Is that what it is? Is it a scripting conflict?

I have a vague recollection of this happening a good while back but can't recall what the cause or fix was.

Do you have any privacy extensions like Ghostery? Most of them block Gravatars out of the box.

Ok so today I got hit with a nasty BSOD, my computer won't fire up windows even in safe mode, just crashing to a blue screen which shows a win32k.sys + page fault in non paged area message.

A quick google suggest this normally referees to a hardware error but after running every hardware test I could through Hiren's Boot CD everything is coming up clean, I've also tried using a system repair & system restore from the win7 install disk with no luck.

Atm my hunch is the windows install corrupted itself after the update that ran last night, hence all the hardware coming up as fine, though that doesn't explain why the system restore point doesn't work.

The only way I can think to proceed now is to see if it could be a registergy error of some sort, though honestly idk enough about that to feel confident.

So anyway if any tech minded thumbs can throw me some suggestions for next step to take I'd appreciate it

If you have it handy you can try throwing in a windows install cd and using its repair function.

I've also tried using a system repair & system restore from the win7 install disk with no luck.

If you have it handy you can try throwing in a windows install cd and using its repair function.

I read that too quickly the first time and thought you were suggesting he throw it out a window.

I read that too quickly the first time and thought you were suggesting he throw it out a window.

Atm that would probably pretty good :D

I'm thinking of trying the steps listed here

http://thebackroomtech.com/2010/08/28/windows-xp-or-windows-7-wont-boot-into-safe-mode/

Since iirc I should be able to get to the repair console by booting from the install dvd

Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening to me on Twitter for web? I'm using Chrome, it just updated yesterday and that's when this started. I updated Chrome on my desktop at home and the issue isn't replicated. I also haven't seen anyone complaining about a similar issue on Twitter.

YhtQG9l.gif

So i've found out what the problem is, it is as i should have guessed from the start all MS's fault.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/blue-screen-stop-0x50-after-applying-update/6da4d264-02d8-458e-89e2-a78fe68766fd?page=1

KB2982791 and KB2970228

Are apparently the offending updates, my problem now is the only restore point i have now is one where they are allready downloaded & in the update que, which thanks to MS being SUUUPER smart means that (if i'm understanding what i've read correctly) even if i switch updates off they will still install & feck up my pc again the moment i try to shut down.

So what i now need to do is to find a way to delete those updates.

I believe updates are stored in the Windows\Software Distribution\Download folder. I don't know if Windows will let you delete them if the Windows Update program is active, if you can manage to disable that service you should be able to wipe out that folder. I believe it's just cached update files that can be redownloaded as needed.

Afterwards, you can right-click those updates in the Windows Update program and set them to never install.

Tnx Jon i've been frantically googling since that last post & have come across a couple of people who suggest the same sort of method

does this look like it is correct?

Rename the 'Software Distribution folder':[/size]

a) Click the Start Button, click 'All programs, and click on 'Accessories'.

B) Next Right-click on the 'Command Prompt' option and then click 'Run as administrator'.

c) In the 'Command Prompt' window enter: net stop Wuauserv and press the 'Enter' key.

d) Next click the Start/Orb button in the taskbar, in the 'Search' box, enter: %windir% and press the 'Enter' key.

e) In Windows Explorer

view, search for and locate the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".[/size]

f) Right-click on the folder and select the 'Rename' option and change the name to:SoftwareDistributionOld

g) Close Windows Explorer and in Command Prompt window enter: net start Wuauserv and press the 'Enter' key.

h) Wait for the "Windows Update Service has successfully" before exiting/closing the command prompt window.

i) If you open Windows Explorer you should see that new "SoftwareDistribution" folder has been created.

j) reboot

That looks right, yeah. Services.msc could also work, if you don't want to mess around with the command prompt.

right gonna try that now crossing fingers!  :wacko:

Edit: Rebooted successfully without the updates trying to install themselves. Don't consider myself completely out of the woods, but this a good step in the right direction

After getting my PC up & running again & having made a new restore point and backup I popped online to read a few articles & catch up on my regular web comics just to reassure myself the system was stable.

unfortunately one of the sites has obviously become infested with malware. Whether this was specifically designed to take advantage of people who hadn't yet applied the big august pack of windows updates or a unlucky coincidence idk, but it was still annoying.

MS Sec essentials caught one bit trying to install itself, but it wasn't untill I had rebooted in safe mode and had run Malwarebytes, and Spybot S&D that I got rid of 5-6 other little lurkers.

I was wondering what antivirus/anti malware program's everyone's running these days?

My habit is to run a quick MS scan daily and a full scan with that & Malwarebytes weekly, along with a monthly Spybot check, but evidently stuff can still slip through.

I run Norton, mostly because all stats I've looked at suggest that paid AV programs do a significantly better job than free and I got Norton for free with my Comcast subscription. Before I took advantage of Comcast's offer, I used to use ESET NOD32 because it got the best overall grades from a third-party AV comparison site that I trusted. I also use the paid version of Malwarebytes.