Niyeaux

Path of Exile: It's pretty much a Diablo 2 sequel, but it's not Diablo 3!

I can understand the sentiment, but the true strength of the genre is as something to keep your hands busy while you listen to podcasts >:D

I kind of skipped most games like this, so it's pretty new to me.  I think the first one I played was Fate, which was much worse at punishing you for your decisions.  I played the beta of Diablo 3 and that was about it.

I generally enjoy games with permadeath, or games that have heavy consequences for death, but the hardcore mode in this was too much for me. I played around with a few characters and carefully plotted out a build I thought would be effective (and was, for the first stretch of the game), then died about 10 hours in to a champion with a million magic effects who showed up out of fucking nowhere and one shot me. I mean ultimately it was still down to me not being careful enough, but it was just too much effort and time to spare for such an unsatisfying end.

Thanks for the answer Osmosisch. I think I'll keep going with it (with the requisite podcasts to keep me company) and find out whether my Queequeg lookalike has got what it takes to save the world, or whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing :)