ysbreker

The ship: fruitcake steam cruise.

I don't know the plans of idlethumbs with the Ship keys, but I'm still busy developing the steamfruitcake.com site. I have most of the basic functionality working, currently trying to make a usable site out of it.

I haven't worked out an idea to facilitate key distribution via that site. I'm not sure if there is a reliable way to do so.

I haven't worked out an idea to facilitate key distribution via that site. I'm not sure if there is a reliable way to do so.

You could probably use the Steam OpenID login system and when an user is logged in, you could check his games list if he has The Ship else he can generate a code (given to you by Chris or whomever) which registers his ID to your database saying that he has 2 codes. Scan his steam inventory for the invites and update the frontpage with his name and amount of invites he has left so people can add him. Now the hard part is to track who got the gifts from guy #1. I guess he manually could update his "profile" with the names of the people who got his codes which adds their name to the invites page (after you check that they have the invites) so that users can add them.

This is assuming that invites wokes like this:

[Guy1] gets 1 game and 2 invites.

[Guy2] and [Guy3] gets 1 game each and 1 invite each.

[Guy4] and [Guy5] gets 1 game each and no invites.

But that's a lot of work...

I'm already using steams OpenID for authentication. Denying getting a key when the user has the game already in the inventory might be a good idea. Of course the user will need to make his profile temporarily public in order to receive a key. But I obviously need to block new users from getting keys to prevent abusers. But to check for, minimum account age of X months and at least Y games and Z gametime?

Tracking where the gift goes to is pretty much impossible, and I already gave up on that idea. If I cannot reliably track a gift, then I shouldn't add a multiplier to regifting.

Note, most of the logic is only going to work while a profile and inventory is public. Steam doesn't provide a proper API to access profile data (except for the most basic profile). Library is only available via globally throttled XML, and the inventory is just a hack on the json stream of webinterface.

Great work Elmuerte. I'm sure you'll be greatly rewarded (most likely with fruitcake).

Great work Elmuerte. I'm sure you'll be greatly rewarded (most likely with fruitcake).

I'm definitely buying him a beer if he ever heads to my location that's for sure. I love this kind of hobby project.

I have 16 copies of Dota 2. How many copies of the Ship are they worth, approximately?

What I'm really interested in knowing is, what's the conversion rate?

elmuerte: Don't forget to check to see if they're a member of the idle thumbs steam group. Not a member? No key.

Could add that as a configurable requirement for keys (being part of a steam group).

Anyway, it's really starting to look like a proper IT project, deadlines are slipping.

Did this ever go anywhere? How many extra keys do the Thumbs still have? How many gift copies does everyone have? Did any of you guys end up playing?

I have acquired a copy of this game, finally. If anyone wants to get some Ship games going on, I would be down.