Snooglebum

Cyberpunk video games

I'm annoyed, cause when I got sent the trailer for Cyberpunk 2077, I started foaming at the mouth. Not cause of boob scythe lady, but because there hasn't been a new Cyberpunk game for... forever. Shadowrun, E.Y.E, System Shock, and now Boob Explosion 2077 are the only ones I can think of at all. Can someone please recommend any others? Preferably ones that don't contain Tits McArmbladeson (which I'm sure is her name).

Deus Ex: HR is kiiinda cyberpunk. And Watch Dogs and Remember Me both will employ cyberpunk tropes. Nothing as overwhelmingly on-genre as 2077 seems to be though.

I'm guessing you mean sort-of current? There's cypher although that's a text adventure that reportedly has shoddy translation issues.

Oh I guess the Syndicate shooter reboot kind of counts. never played it though.

How is Deus Ex: Human Revolution "kiiinda" cyberpunk? It is all the way cyberpunk, it is practically the definition of cyberpunk.

I quite liked the Syndicate reboot, though the awesome co-op multiplayer was very crashy.

I think Binary Domain actually has a slight cyberpunk vibe. (It's as if you were the shooty military guy at the periphery of a cyberpunk setting.)

Gemini Rue - new, old school adventure game.

Hard Reset - FPS from the original Painkiller team, plays a lot like Painkiller. Gibberish plot with and extremely stilted narration that I pretend is a tribute to Bladerunner.

Gemini Rue - new, old school adventure game.

Hard Reset - FPS from the original Painkiller team, plays a lot like Painkiller. Gibberish plot with and extremely stilted narration that I pretend is a tribute to Bladerunner.

Oh gods, Hard Reset.

Honestly, I find that game extremely frustrating. They got the ambience of a Blade Runner-esque thing... but all you do is run around at a thousand miles an hour, shooting men for hours on end. I don't want to shoot up that space at all, I want to explore it. They have a gorgeous world which zips by as you bunny jump around wasting robots with a chaingun.

Yeah, there is a bit of environment interaction, but I always want to go into the shops. I really like the way they do FPS combat though, same with Painkiller, arena style, really frantic. Though, there is also something a little less than satisfying in smashing all these metal robots.

Beneath a Steel Sky (it's free)

Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller (it's bad)

Burn:Cycle (also bad)

Actually, I bet there are a lot of FMV-laden CD-ROM games in the genre if we think hard enough.

edit:

This is a game that never came out called Black ICE\White Noise that was in development for the Jaguar CD. I think I have a couple of partially working builds of it.

oh if we're going to get into old stuff:

Circuit's Edge (G.A.Effinger/Budayeen licensed)

Neuromancer

earlier SNES/Sega Shadowruns

Ghost in the Shell licensed stuff, depending on how cyberpunk you consider GitS to be

Snatcher

Arguably things like Uplink to some extent (there's a bunch of Uplink-alike hacker sims whose names I find utterly indistinguishable)

edit: some googling later, apparently the "Hacker Evolution" series, but maybe there are others.

was the Christopher Walken Ripper cyberpunk? It was vaguely near-future sci fi, I think.

The old Amiga game Dreamweb is a pretty sweet, dark and gritty little cyberpunk adventure.

dreamweb1.jpgscummvm00159.jpgdw_8.jpg

Strictly speaking, they're not pure cyberpunk, but there's the two System Shock games, of course.

How is Deus Ex: Human Revolution "kiiinda" cyberpunk? It is all the way cyberpunk, it is practically the definition of cyberpunk.

Technically, they called that style Cyber Renaissance. That might be splitting hairs but there is a slight difference in style: it seems much more baroque and 'heavy' than other cyber punk games. There is a different sense of fashion and weight to their clothing. Of course, that might just be some weird subcategory within a larger Cyberpunk aesthetic. I don't think it benefits anyone to pick that aesthetic for the sake of aesthetic if certain themes are not in there. But it is postmodern, so they can use all these different inspirations and elements. That makes it hard to categorize anything - not that we should.

I think Gemini Rue, the Syndicate Remake and Human Revolution have been good, recent titles. Of course this won't be explored as much as conventional Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Does that suck? Yes! Then again, I want them to do right by the genre and not just regurgitate Neuromancer if the execution is not interesting.

Probably screenshots from different people emulating the game with different settings.

Speaking of Dreamweb, it's must have just became freeware, because I found it for free at ScummVM and it was there a few weeks ago.

Aren't the Tex Murphy games cyberpunk?

Great, thread, I need to get up to speed on some of these!

I'm working on a jrpg-y cyberpunk-y thing in my spare time. No idea if i'll ever get it finished, but it's the game i've managed to keep working on the longest (although only about 2 months so far.) :)

.hack, some of the Final Fantasy Games after 6, many of the Megami Tensei series.... Maybe Xenogears?

Well, if you want something in the style of a JRPG, then Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden should be mentioned.

Its vision of post-cyberpocalyptic Neo New York is… quite something.

Speaking of Dreamweb, it's must have just became freeware, because I found it for free at ScummVM and it was there a few weeks ago.

Aren't the Tex Murphy games cyberpunk?

I wouldn't call that cyberpunk. They're basically just film noir set in the near future. Still awesome, but not cyberpunk.