Snooglebum

Why can't I enjoy System Shock 2?

Nice, I've seen videos of parts of this but never have gotten to partake. This might be my first GOG purchase.

Anyone who hasn't played SS2 should really check out the first System Shock too - I think it's the better game. Although you don't really need to play them in order if you don't care about minor spoilers for the first SS game, and since the story isn't really super important, SS2 before SS isn't an awful choice. But in terms of seeing what SS2 decided to change/improve upon, what later games like BioShock took from the franchise, what works, what doesn't, etc. I think playing the first is super useful.

I'm pretty sure I will buy the game, get frustrated, then try to cheat, which will either make me hate the game or love the game. Since GOG is not Steam, I'm not sure whether to bother to wait for a sale.

gog does sales very frequently, just like Steam. That said, SS2 is worth it at full price in my opinion.

GOG.com seems very attractive now. Sanitarium and System Shock 2? Hey now...

They have been attractive since their launch, when they made Sacrifice and Giants and the Fallouts available again.

It's System Shock Portable -- A free modification of the original game that runs on modern machines. The link worked when Tycho originally linked to it. Strange that it's changed now.

As it says on the top of the page: "Sorry guests, this is just a fansite and it isn't made for these numbers of downloaders. We're working on some optimisations and will be BACK TOMORROW."

They're probably getting massive traffic from people discovering SSHOCK for the first time so they changed it to registered forum users only or something.

Apparently they made the change while I was viewing the page. I followed the link, tried individually viewing the screenshots (which look like a modern indie game to my amusement), and halfway through I got the error message and couldn't view the page anymore (this all happened this morning)

I anticipate that a lot of people will kind of hate it.

SS2 tends to make a bad first impression.

I will encourage new players to look over some of the things i've written in other posts on this thread.

You only really need one mod: The Texture Mod. (If you want to tweak the game mechanics, which are in no way utterly die-hard on their default setting, then you can just use the game's .ini file.)

I was impressed with the mod that adds in new models and meshes during my replay, but until it's complete I can't recommend it, because it makes old parts stand out so much more.

I think you could do without the Rebirth mod, its higher detail models are done in a style that i think probably a lot of people would find very at odds with the original aesthetic of the game.

SHTUP is a fine mod though, it fixes a lot of misaligned textures and things like that, it has a nice look.

I don't know if you looked over the posts i wrote up earlier in this thread, but the key to the game is really just to plan your build carefully. If you want to have a good experience with the game, you need to focus in on doing a few things really well, while making sure the things you can do compliment each other. For a first time through the game, you should probably put some emphasis towards hacking, maintenance, and standard weapons. (Navy builds will get you there faster, but nothing is locked out by your class selection at the start of the game.)

I'm just done with the training and I keep pressing buttons I expect to work in other games, I'm not used to these kind of controls... I can't even tell if I can enter the bar at the training area or I'm just stupid.... :|

EDIT: JEESUUUUS! Even on Easy this game is intense! D:

Can you make your inventory bigger? 

Yes, one of your stats (I want to say Strength) adds one 3-slot row of inventory, and there's a mod that boosts that stat as well.

These tips are awesome.

Also, just rebind the controls, they can be set up to mirror modern ones pretty easily. The only thing that keeps getting me is that esc goes to main menu rather than closing inventory. Skyrim had the same problem recently if memory serves.

You know, this game is what Dead Space wishes it was... Sure, you laugh at the psychic monkeys the first time you see them, but the game is so brutal that even on the easiest setting the game is ridiculously intense!

Although it's "intensity" is getting on my nerves... :|

The U buttons is a god send, before I looked for logs manually! XP

Skip Rebirth. The author did one beta release and then got hired at a game company. Plus he made some bizarre choices with the character designs. It was promising, but ultimately disappointing. Just go with SHTUP only!

You know, this game is what Dead Space wishes it was... Sure, you laugh at the psychic monkeys the first time you see them, but the game is so brutal that even on the easiest setting the game is ridiculously intense!

Although it's "intensity" is getting on my nerves... :|

Yep. Welcome to the fun! (Remember the ini files where you can tweak respawn rates.)

You know, this game is what Dead Space wishes it was... Sure, you laugh at the psychic monkeys the first time you see them, but the game is so brutal that even on the easiest setting the game is ridiculously intense!

There's been persisting rumors that Dead Space was originally conceived as a possible System Shock 3, and it's easy to buy into with how much Dead Space seems to owe to System Shock 2.