Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Cyberpunk 2077

I thought it didn't seem like you, but taken alone, the text seemed more than plausible for thing-someone-would-say-on-the-internet-and-be-totally-sincere-about :)

I hate this trailer so, so much.

But maybe this will be a good game? I don't really know. I like cyberpunk! The idea. Or something.

This just popped up on my facebook

Mike Pondsmith, the creator of the pen-and-paper Cyberpunk system, talks about the upcoming RPG from CD Projekt RED – Cyberpunk 2077

lt doesn't really say anything interesting but it's a nice little video. They've obviously taken a lot of inspiration from Tron...which is a good thing

i think there is a making of trailer trailer trailer coming out tomorrow

I think he's not kidding and just saying that no matter what motivations the policeman has this teaser is still stupid/not awesome.. ?

Yep, I wasn't.

I think it just echoes the Hitman stuff where you just take that idiotic still image of a dude with a huge gun pointing it directly at the head of a woman in ridiculous clothes, full on panty shot and teased hair, while she is looking away. Ignoring whatever the cliche motivation where she's an android or mass murderer (which isn't even apparent in the trailer), that's still their iconic imagery and I find it immature.

But anyway everyone already said what I meant for me since that age old time I wrote that message.

Ok musically it's very reminiscent to daft punks tron legacy soundtrack. But also the way the logo popped up at the end, and the locations reminded me of the beginning of the movie

What can I say the trailer gave me tron vibes

(Maybe I need to watch tron again)

the daftpunk tron soundtrack just sounds like a bad impersonation of vangelis to me :|

Super pumped for this game though. Love all the old "Mirrorshade" cyberpunk books n that! I had freinds that played Cyberpunk but never got into any pen and paper stuff myself.

OH it's a SEQUEL to the old tabletop game. I just thought they renamed it, but that video made it sound like it actually does take place 57 years later. That's cool.

I think it just echoes the Hitman stuff where you just take that idiotic still image of a dude with a huge gun pointing it directly at the head of a woman in ridiculous clothes, full on panty shot and teased hair, while she is looking away. Ignoring whatever the cliche motivation where she's an android or mass murderer (which isn't even apparent in the trailer), that's still their iconic imagery and I find it immature.

I think Hitman's sick badass baditude was misplaced and they weren't deliberately evoking it in the way Cyberpunk is. Similar to how like Deadly Premonition is weird, but No More Heroes is aiming for weird.

Or how Army of Two's bro-out stuff looks idiotic, but Gears of War couched it in this whole world and fiction that's all about that. Cyberpunk is about overtly sexy sex-bots and gun-cop shoot-ups.

BUT-- COUNTERING MY OWN POINT: In some ways they cross the line from being aware to being indulgent. Like Chris said on the podcast about Far Cry 3, it's not really a knowing commentary if everyone's enjoying it for the sick badass action; and like Sean said about Borderlands 2: it doesn't stand out as a stylistic choice when every game is like this.

As individuals, I think we all fall on a different spot between those two paragraphs. So that's that conversation in a nutshell!

Hopefully Cyberpunk will be more than just sex bots and shoot ups. Just like Ghost in the Shell was more than Kusanagi's boobs. (And Witcher is more than a having sex simulator) But this teaser is only showing me tits and guns, so fuck this teaser. Hopefully an actual trailer will be a fair prediction for 2013!

Welp, that's still where I stand.

On the note of Ghost in the Shell, I find it a very vapid movie and series caked in gratuitousness which I will hardly ever understand the love for. Plus you could just watch Blade Runner instead and get more out of it. On the other hand I find Akira, with it's similar presentation ultraviolence, having characters that actually invoke emotion and motivation for their actions and the way the animation and visuals are presented.

I think Hitman's sick badass baditude was misplaced and they weren't deliberately evoking it in the way Cyberpunk is. Similar to how like Deadly Premonition is weird, but No More Heroes is aiming for weird.

Or how Army of Two's bro-out stuff looks idiotic, but Gears of War couched it in this whole world and fiction that's all about that. Cyberpunk is about overtly sexy sex-bots and gun-cop shoot-ups.

BUT-- COUNTERING MY OWN POINT: In some ways they cross the line from being aware to being indulgent. Like Chris said on the podcast about Far Cry 3, it's not really a knowing commentary if everyone's enjoying it for the sick badass action; and like Sean said about Borderlands 2: it doesn't stand out as a stylistic choice when every game is like this.

I'm not sure you understand where I stand. You seem to think I have only an issue with the existence of a panty shot and big boobs. I don't even think there's any ill conceived commentary happening here, I'm pretty sure it's just a thing I'm sure the developers thought was awesome unless you can show otherwise. I think you need to tie the imagery together with that slo mo rotating shot and just look at that alone. When I think of indulgence I think of fun, not grotesque.

On the note of Ghost in the Shell, I find it a very vapid movie and series caked in gratuitousness which I will hardly ever understand the love for. Plus you could just watch Blade Runner instead and get more out of it. On the other hand I find Akira, with it's similar presentation ultraviolence, having characters that actually invoke emotion and motivation for their actions and the way the animation and visuals are presented. The original comic is even more heartwrenching.

This game's trailer just seems an exercise in what dudes find cool. I can imagine a goony student sitting next to me in the 6th grade and scribbling this on a piece of notebook paper as an awesome idea he just had. You know, just take this famous picture, bulk up the dude and add a sexy lady with blades, crotch out. It's neither on the side of the fun of indulgence nor classy.

You what was a good game in this vein? BloodNet. Witty dialogue, interesting world, annoying RPG elements. It had it all! (I actually really did like it.)

Bloodnet was good (I especially liked the multiple choice character generation which yeah I know they cribbed from another game, but still), but I remember the combat being pretty punishing. I remember there was one npc who was an Umberto Eco reference (the guy from The Name of the Rose who talks in nothing but quotes) which blew my fricking mind at the time.

I tried and tried, but I just couldn't get into The Witcher or The Witcher 2. I understand why people like them and I think they're important games, they're just not my jam at this point in my life. I'll probably approach this one cautiously.

it's not a microphone, it's a straw throuhg which he sucks blood from the bottle that he wears on his head.

it's not a microphone, it's a straw throuhg which he sucks blood from the bottle that he wears on his head.

Someone (who can be more bothered than I can) needs to Photoshop a beer helmet onto that cover... with bottles of blood on either side.

Beer-helmet.jpg

The making of the Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer

http://www.behance.n...nk-2077/6573211

"we approached dozens of ideas before settling on a seemingly freeze-framed setting that referenced one of the illustrations from the original game manual." So it wasn't a new idea, although i'm still yet to see this original image

"Ever since we set out to create it, we knew the promo would work only if the female protagonist engendered a serious emotional response in the viewers and push the aesthetic boundaries of the typical female form. Video games frequently feature banally designed female characters, composed of the same hackneyed elements. Though undoubtedly beautiful, these characters are often contrived. In this particular case, the ability to work with a real actress thoroughly transformed the film." I had a serious emotional response alright...in my pants! :fart:

Video games frequently feature banally designed female characters

Sure, I guess? Sigh. Also, 'pushing the aesthetic boundaries of the typical female form,' is the douchiest statement ever.

"we approached dozens of ideas before settling on a seemingly freeze-framed setting that referenced one of the illustrations from the original game manual." So it wasn't a new idea, although i'm still yet to see this original image

They're talking about this:

zYaWX.png

Which also shows up in an advertisement on the storefront in the background.

I can only assume that by 'bland female design' they mean the tendency for all female video game characters to be slim with big breasts, so in order to push the boundaries in aesthetic design they made a lady...who is slim....with big breasts...

This whole thing just makes me so overwhelming sad. The trailer is no where near as dumb as the Hitman trailer, and I was completely prepared to just laugh this off and move on to more egregious issues, but then the creators feel the need to justify their decisions under the guise of this pseudo artistic vision bullshit. You put the pretty lady in the trailer because you like pretty ladies. That's fine! Just be honest about it.