Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Strike Zoot Zero

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/strike-suit-zero-filters-colony-wars-through-japanese-eyes-this-is-space-co

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about space dogfighting games. The closest I ever got is Rogue Squadron, which is hardly set in space. The point is: I'm enthused on the basis of these visuals. This is space like space should be: exaggerated and dense, full of giant planets in the background. And apparently it's coming out end of in January.

I failed to mention the amazing soundtrack by the Homeworld guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLD1575FD8D4111F4A&feature=player_embedded&v=gS50TK_Eqxk

Wow! I have never heard of this series, but I've bin playing my ZoE HD Edition for the passed month, so when that ship turned into a robot trailing lasers all over the place, that definately got me onboard.

Here's some "alpha" gameplay from 4 months ago... so when is this coming out again?

Very nice sickass space pictures and planets blowing up, I should probably keep a lookout for this.

EDIT- ooh this game got Kickstarted in November. I think they were looking for money to finish off the game rather than to start it.

I've been following this game for a while, it's quite overtly inspired by Japanese mech games. (Like a lot of those licensed Macross and Gundam games that will absolutely never be released in the west.)

I kinda paid attention to this since before the Kickstarter, but my excitement wasn't turned to fervor until I found out the guy who did the Homeworld Soundtrack was on the team. Then I started frothing at the mouth, and pounding on my desk, wanting it now.

Strike Suit Zero is out on steam for a meagre 15 US dollars. PA Report says it's a fantastic game - especially as soon as the checkpoints are patched as promised. Unfortunately I'll have to wait a few weeks until I get a good internet connection on my desktop before I can play this thing. I expect I'll get to it in Q1 at least, but it's high on my list!

Hmm, seems like an outlier among the general appreciation of the game. I'll read some more and wait for the patch, and if it fixes the bad points I'm still more than interested to give it a go - especially at the low price point.

Read the RPS wot I think earlier. I really do hope they iron out most of the issues with patches, but that ain't gonna change the dull missions. Unless it will. Then I'm game.

I'd really, really like to believe that this game is awesome, but what i've seen of it so far looks pretty blah to me.

Holy shit is that soundtrack overbearing.

I have to agree. I'm not a huge fan of the whole mecha aesthetic, but I feel like I could get over that if the whole game didn't look like Freespace 2 with 90% of the complexity stripped out. Basically for me the space sim dogfight genre goes from X-Wing/TIE Fighter and the Wing Commander series, which is amazing, to Freespace, which is the pinnacle, and since then, nothing has really done anything massively interesting. Something like Darkstar One is better than nothing, but things like Sol Exodus and potentially Strike Suit Zero are pretty much a slight step up from Star Wars Battlefront II's dogfighting, which could charitably be described as "merely serviceable."

I bought this and its score attack spin-off in the Steam sale.

It's... Ehh, it's alright.

There's a lot of small elements about its overall sense of style that come together to make it seem like the game is desperately trying to emulate the aesthetics of the Homeworld games, so that's kind of a weird thing.

As for actually playing it, it's just an extremely simple and slow moving space sim. Everything just feels like it's moving so slow in this game, even when it plainly isn't. The mecha stuff is fun, but the game puts some pretty hard limits on how much you get to use that form of your fighter.

I like what it's trying to do, i wish it could offer more, but it's seeming pretty dull so far.

Well, you've had more luck than me. I tried it this morning and it wouldn't even start, crashing at the launcher. I've been browsing for a solution, but haven't gotten further than 'install DirectX 11' and 'verify the files'. I'm actually assuming my graphics card is just too old (ATI 3800) to play it, though I would've appreciated it actually trying to run, rather than just crashing. I might only be able to play the game after upgrading. Well, I guess that comes with the territory.

I think i'm warming up to the game a bit, but i'm also definitely having more fun with Infinity than the core game. It escalates to some pretty crazy stuff quite quickly, just goes straight to dozens of enemies and massive missile swarms.

Although I haven't played it YET (I doubt I'll be able to resist when it lands on PS4) I really wish it wasn't some transform mech bullshit, JUST GIVE ME A STAR FIGHTER GODDAMNIT

I'd welcome variations on the space combat theme, as this is, with open arms if it wasn't for the fact I haven't been able to get my hands on a decent space combat game in like 5+ years

They've gotta be making a starwars one to coincide with the new rebels animated serious right? Disney have to have looked at how wildly popular the star citizen kickstarter has been? Riiiiiiiiight???? (Although, to be fair I am completely over starwars these days, probably prefer something in the mass effect universe)

http://strikesuitzero.com/blog/announcing-strike-suit-zero-directors-cut/

Directors cut. Coming to PC, PS4 and lamebox one

"We’ve taken a year’s worth of comments and suggestions on board, too, directly addressing the points of our community and critics." Huh

There is no need for that Mington, jeez.

I am actually looking forward to checking this out now that it is coming out on a console, I know a few people connected to this so I kind of want to see what they did.

I'm bring the console wars to the idle forums :P I'm just kidding (mostly) seeing all the fun people are having with Titanfall has made me a little salty