tegan

Pokémon X and Y

Personally I turned off the EXP Share after a while. I'm turning it back on just now, because the Fairy Gym nearly totaled me.

so now it doesn't feel like i'm playing the game all that much, as the difficulty curve has been sloping downward the whole time i've been playing and i'm worried it'll continue to get worse. I remember red and blue being really hard to finish as a kid, and it's one of the reasons the game had such a lasting impression, the time investment required and the resulting sense of achievement. it really felt like i had progressed from being just a kid to be the best trainer in the league. whereas now i'm like the guy who got bit by a radioactive pokeball and has been given mysterious pokemon trainer powers. what i'm doing isn't impressive, it's expected

i definitely have over thought this way too much but now i feel cheated by a franchise i thought i wrongly abandoned. i'm gonna finish this game and maybe post my thoughts again, hopefully it redeems itself. 

The recent games have made it pretty easy to get to the Elite Four. The game doesn't really get difficult until you fight them, and then continue on after.

Yes, this is important to note. It's unlikely that the game will reach any tremendous amount of difficulty until after the Elite Four (so, after what you might consider "finishing the game", especially if they still run credits there like they always have. Seriously, why do they do that? It's downright deceptive at this point)

Well given that every gym leader has all their Pokemon the same type makes it kind of hard for it to not be easy to beat them (is there a "champion" in this game?)

I mean why do they run credits when, at least for the last few generations, there's been just as much game after the elite four as before. And I don't just mean catching-them-all.

Well given that every gym leader has all their Pokemon the same type makes it kind of hard for it to not be easy to beat them (is there a "champion" in this game?)

There's always a champion. I dunno' who it is for this gen yet, but I'm leaning toward the actress lady.

Cynthia was probably my favourite Champion. Her team's type coverage is insane and I had to pull out all kinds of tricks to make it through that fight in Diamond.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is there something that makes Pokemon automatically pick a move?  Every now and then my Pokemon will just repeat the last move before I tell it to do anything.  All my Pokemon are below 15 and I have 1 badge so I don't think they're disobeying me.  I'm not getting hit with any kind of status effect I know of that would cause this (so far I've only been hit with paralysis) and it sometimes happens when I have no status at all.  It's occasionally prevented me from catching a new Pokemon.  I don't know if it's the game, my 3DS, or my memory card.  I had some trouble downloading it so maybe something happened.  It also froze once already so perhaps it's just a weird bug?

Well, I can't say for sure 100%, but if you got hit with the move... Encore, I believe? It causes you to use an attack again, I think.

Also... Rage, maybe? There's a move where your guy keeps doing it (or I think there is... it's been a while since I've really been into it, but I seem to remember a move that worked that way.)

Those seem like the most likely cases, unless you really did get some kind of bizarre bug from a messed up download.

I don't think I'm being hit with Encore, I don't remember ever seeing that.  Only one of my Pokemon has Rage (I think, I'll have to check that) and it's happened to ones that don't have that move at all.

It only seems to occur when I use the L button to look at the moves (because I'm still learning them and I keep forgetting what they do) and it doesn't happen every time.  It's really weird and kind of annoying.

I mean why do they run credits when, at least for the last few generations, there's been just as much game after the elite four as before. And I don't just mean catching-them-all.

Apart from a new city and annoying to catch legendaries, I don't see it as that much post game content.

Oh man, is anyone doing the berry farming thing? Trees yield enough berries to make it actually worthwhile for once, you can cross-breed berries, and you have a chance of encountering bugs attacking your crops. It's super neat.

Apart from a new city and annoying to catch legendaries, I don't see it as that much post game content.

I'm not sure about X and Y, but Black had tons of things to do after the Elite 4:

• Go through N's castle and have the "final" showdown
  • Catch pokémon from older games
  • Fight various trainers around Unova, all of whom have pokémon at level 60-65.
  • Re-fight the Gym leaders with higher level pokemon
  • Visit White Forest or Black City
  • Dive for treasure using the new HM
  • Find the Six Sages (I don't even know what this means) 
  • And I think there were a couple of Challenge areas you could go into and have endless fights?

Yeah, I haven't gotten past the elite four in X yet so I was assuming it would be like the last few generations. It's too bad if there's less post-elite four stuff this time around!

It's too soon to say what the post content is since people are still discovering it, but the non-hidden and obvious parts don't seem that much of a deal.

I'm not sure about X and Y, but Black had tons of things to do after the Elite 4:

• Find the Six Sages (I don't even know what this means) 

The Six Sages are just the flunkies of Ghetsis who disperse from N's Castle in the end of BW. They go to various parts of the map around post-game content unlocked areas and a couple offer a couple of Plasma Grunt fights. The reward for finding each one is a TM for a buffing move, like Bulk Up, Calm Mind, Swords Dance, etc. They all either boost two stats or double boost a single stat, IIRC.

I'm fumbling my way through the early stages of this game having no experience with Pokemon outside of Smash Bros. It seems fairly interesting so far, if a bit weird.

I'm intrigued by the seemingly ubiquitous connectivity features, but I wonder this: am I inflicting the juvenile name I chose for my trainer on random passersby and other Internet users? I'm sure not everyone finds it as hilarious as I do to have a young boy running around with the name "Butthole."

Honestly, you're probably not the only one with a name like that. It seems to be a pretty common "funny" thing to do in Pokemon, giving highly inappropriate names to players or Pokemon alike.

(Like naming a Metapod "Penis", resulting in entertainment from "Penis used Harden!")

Great!

By the way, I did some internet research and discovered what gets you into the Boutique Couture. You have to do all the challenges in the first two restaurants (one and two stars), and do all three jobs in the hotel.

PS: Adding my friend code here as no one added me back in the multiplayer networking thread: 1993-8227-3356

I added you, Hermie.

Xerneas is really kicking my ass. After it gets a few Geomancies off, it becomes completely unstoppable.

...Oh, never mind. I caught it.

Great!

By the way, I did some internet research and discovered what gets you into the Boutique Couture. You have to do all the challenges in the first two restaurants (one and two stars), and do all three jobs in the hotel.

PS: Adding my friend code here as no one added me back in the multiplayer networking thread: 1993-8227-3356

I added you! You didn't add me! 2294-4298-0966

Man I didn't really expect to get into this game at all. Thought I'd once again be driven off by how EXACTLY THE SAME it is to every previous game in the series. And, well, it still is mostly the same. They've just added a ton more junk to do (most of which I don't give a butt about). But I'm really enjoying it, nonetheless.

Still think it's absolutely stupid they stuck with tiles, and movement is super awkward, no matter what you choose: feet, roller skates, or bike. Yuck.

Also I will say that the game looks great. Shame it's such a low resolution. This style would be perfect for a, I dunno, reasonable resolution where I can't see every goddamn pixel. U: