tegan

Pokémon X and Y

Oh by the way, I can get anyone a Tyrunt or a Charmander if they want one. I'm looking for Y-exclusives and Chespin, but anything is fine in exchange.

Those are the same I got... I wonder if anybody got the others at all? XP

Uh all the cool people get Bulbasaur.

Totally true, though I haven't gotten to that part yet!

This new exp share is cool

Indeed, though the Torchic is levelling too fast :(

Oh by the way, I can get anyone a Tyrunt or a Charmander if they want one. I'm looking for Y-exclusives and Chespin, but anything is fine in exchange.

Who is exclusive? I've come into the game completely blind as I wanted a fresh experience. 

Their Mega-volutions are different, I don't think Mega-Evolutions count to the Pokédex though, so it's just a cool thing to see?

I know Swrilix the cotton candy pokémon is exclusive to my version, but that the only one I know that is apart from the legendary.

EDIT: Anybody want Dittos? I'm at the area where they are relatively common.

The long and short of Pokémon breeding

Wow, that's thorough, thanks a lot!

I just got Fly, so I can finally return to the two random Pokemon and the berries I left in that area. 

Here's something to remember about using the Daycare to level Pokemon up. Since they aren't actually fighting, they don't gain EVs, so they will be inherently weaker than pokemon that are leveled up from fighting or Exp Share. Of course, worrying about that sends you down a deep dark path where you level pokemon to 100 by fighting only level 1 guys to get the maximum EV, but I'll trust that you can find the level of insanity that's right for you.

3 Badges in. Enjoying the game a lot. Hawlucha is the best thing about it, though.

How far in are the Move Deleter and Move Relearners?

Well, I beat the game... the story was much better than I anticipated, but there is one post game thing that I don't know if it's awesome or bothers me...

They have a "Friend's Safari" where two pokémon of the same type appear, each friend has different ones, so the more friends you have the more Pokémon you can get. This is the only place I know of to catch non-Kalos region Pokémon.

Also you get a starter of whatever the friendly rival got, I assume it's the girl in all versions?

Don't save in Lumiose City. There've been reports of a fatal crash bug.

Also, I just got Pokérus from a friend if anyone wants it.

This is the first Pokemon game I've ever played.  I know pretty much nothing about the series apart from some general knowledge and having seen a few random anime episodes and 2 of the films with a younger cousin of mine.  I picked a Chespin to start (and promptly named it Teg since she was the one who talked me into getting the game and did her best to prep me).  I also got the free Torchic and a Squirtle just to round things out.  I only have one badge because the game froze midway though my first fight with the gym leader and I lost a good chunk of progress. 

I admit at first I wasn't really into it, probably because in general I dislike turn based strategy.  But the more I play the more fun it's becoming.  There's so much information to know and a lot of it is still a mystery to me, but discovering it is turning out to be a lot more interesting than I thought it would be.  There's lots of weird quirks, which is a thing I love.  I'm starting to see the appeal this series has.  I doubt I'll ever get into the competitive scene though.

The highest I've got is Count, I don't know how high it gets, but it doesn't seem that worth it now.

The highest I've got is Count, I don't know how high it gets, but it doesn't seem that worth it now.

I've been returning to the Battle Chateau because prize money is always determined by Trainer Class. Since everyone there is a high society trainer and they spawn indefinitely, it's the easiest way to get money.

Also, two things:

1) So you can catch starters in the Friend Safari thing, which I've yet to encounter. They also have a chance of having their hidden abilities if you catch them there. It turns out Greninja has a new ability that changes its type to whatever move it's about to use each turn, which is fucking insane.

2) It's crazy to me that You can catch Axew and Bagon really early and Gible a little bit later. Now I've got Goomy, which is just increasingly nuts. Related: I can breed Goomies now if anybody wants one.

It seems like every route has a completely different set of catchable pokemon from everything before it, which I don't remember ever being the case before. Result being the set of available pokemon is already huge, even very early on.

It's a change they might as well have made, now that there's 700+ pokemon to divvy out somehow. It does diminish the mystique of some pokemon that used to seem rare and late-gamey, but I don't know if that's so much of a loss.

Yeah, that's the problem. Once you're in the post game and all you can do is catch the rest... it's so daunting.

Also the Friend Safari is only two Pokémon per friend, they never change and the only starter I got was a Charmeleon.

The mere thought of trying to catch 350+ Pokémon is just too much, I'm going to wait to see what happens when Pokémon Global Link is up, maybe it will interest me.... Or at least it will let me share my trainer video more easily. 

Going through the Habitat List in Black 2 like a checklist was honestly one of my favourite parts of the game. I'm really excited to get into the postgame catching.

So what Megas has everyone tried? I've used Mega Lucario, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Gengar now. I haven't evolved my Torchic yet. I'm actually trying to refrain from using Charizard at all right now because it's ridiculously strong, especially in its Mega form.

Unrelated:

pubIUvf.gif

I was really looking forward to having a great time with this game; I haven't played pokemon since crystal and I loved every game prior and including. I only stopped playing because I lost interest in games for a while, and then when I regained interest I was too daunted by all the new pokemon to even want to try and get back into it. this is probably the case for a lot of people?

I got it the day it came out, I wanted the full zeitgeist experience of being able to talk about with people i know on the internet who have always been big into pokemon. I think i enjoyed my first 8 hours or so, but one of the first things i noticed was that having a fully 3D world seems to accentuate how empty it is, in terms of 3D RPGs. the architecture is nice enough but the "field of view" seems to small and it always seems like there aren't really many people living in Kalos - especially in Lumiose. I guess i'm a dumb idiot who wants a stripped down top down pokemon game instead of a better looking one

also the design of the male protagonist is terrible compared to before. you can change his clothes but not into anything respectable until maybe 11 hours in. and the anime eyes and chibi proportions really dont look good on a 3d model. more than ever i feel creepy for playing this game where i'm clearly not the intended audience - i'm interfacing with other children, probably 10 year olds, and it's super obvious now. there's a weird romantic scene (fireworks show) near the start and it comes from NOWHERE, and theyre CHILDREN. i don't want to be complicit in any kind of weird romance happening between kids

I haven't finished yet, i played about 8 hours on day one and 8 hours on day two, then an hour on day 3. I'm at the ice caves now with 6 badges. I've slowed down because in the last 4 gyms I've OHKO'd every trainer and gym leader's pokemon, and the same has been happening with every other interaction. I get that they put in EXP share to make it less grind-y, but I don't want to feel horribly overpowered when all I've been doing is battling every trainer I see and walking in all the grass I see. that's how you play an RPG, and it should still be tough to some extent after that. I haven't ever really felt the need to strategise, to switch pokemon to account for weaknesses or anything that should be enjoyable about pokemon and it makes me sad

so now it doesn't feel like i'm playing the game all that much, as the difficulty curve has been sloping downward the whole time i've been playing and i'm worried it'll continue to get worse. I remember red and blue being really hard to finish as a kid, and it's one of the reasons the game had such a lasting impression, the time investment required and the resulting sense of achievement. it really felt like i had progressed from being just a kid to be the best trainer in the league. whereas now i'm like the guy who got bit by a radioactive pokeball and has been given mysterious pokemon trainer powers. what i'm doing isn't impressive, it's expected

i definitely have over thought this way too much but now i feel cheated by a franchise i thought i wrongly abandoned. i'm gonna finish this game and maybe post my thoughts again, hopefully it redeems itself. 

oh and as for the story and environments etc. i think the gyms are really cool but then i remembered they were really cool and some of them were even more involved in red/blue. and even though it's a 3d game it's still feels bound by 2 dimensions, and probably could've been programmed that way?? and i find moving around in rollerskates infuriating to control with any fidelity but running isn't quite fast enough. and the UI design is so weird and archaic, it shows all this bullshit online stuff constantly on the lower screen when roaming around and it takes so long to get to your map, not to mention the disgusting colour schemes

i really don't think this game is as awful as i'm maybe making it sound and if it was original IP and i wasn't comparing it with my childhood memories of red/blue i'd probably enjoy it a lot more. 

The recent games have made it pretty easy to get to the Elite Four. The game doesn't really get difficult until you fight them, and then continue on after.