Frenetic Pony

This is the new (console) shit!

We're still two years away from the Year of the PS3 aren't we? What could they possibly have to announce before then?

http://www.edge-onli...ion-4-revealed/ Some fancy gimmicks and the relevant part I wanted to bitch about:

We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution.

:fart:

I keep hearing that the PS4 is going to be more powerful than the new Xbox, but all that means to me is that it's going to be the expensive one; not that it's likely I'll buy either console at launch. I'm still way more curious about the games and what Sony/MS are going to do with their software stuff.

Oh my god, the marketing bullshit shit storm that's coming.

Ugh, the only thing I'm even vaguely interested in is the Steam box, and even then I think I'd rather just buy an extra long HDMI cable and a wireless controller. I probably need a new PC sometime (I've had this one since 2009), and as broke as I am I'd rather spend money on that that any console.

The ps4 controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/02/edge-rumor-details-ps4-launch.html?m=1

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

This is a good option for people like me who don't actually buy a PlayStation, but who watch other people's goofy videos on YouTube.

Boy I hope we can have a new thread for when this stuff gets actually shown, cos I sure am not reading 13 pages.

One consequence of all the next generation news? The return of Sony Defense Force.

SDF is an intentional joke about console partisans, though the joke wore thin years ago. I'm not sure this is a welcome resurgence.

If PlayStation 4 ads are anywhere near as good as the gifs on this site, then Day One Perch.

ibzFNDu1rcg5Ly.gif

http://www.edge-onli...ion-4-revealed/ Some fancy gimmicks and the relevant part I wanted to bitch about:

:fart:

I keep hearing that the PS4 is going to be more powerful than the new Xbox, but all that means to me is that it's going to be the expensive one; not that it's likely I'll buy either console at launch. I'm still way more curious about the games and what Sony/MS are going to do with their software stuff.

Oh my god, the marketing bullshit shit storm that's coming.

Not necessarily, neither are using top of the line specs, and the new Xbox needs to include its new Kinect as standard. While not expensive to produce perhaps, it's still probably an extra $20-$30 Sony can spend on something else. If the PS4 is, say, $20 more that's not a huge price difference, and $50 would buy a very solid performance difference.

I expect both to be $349-$399

I keep hearing that the PS4 is going to be more powerful than the new Xbox, but all that means to me is that it's going to be the expensive one; not that it's likely I'll buy either console at launch.

It will not be another “$599” debacle—expect the PS4 to be very aggressively priced. Sony has a lot more at stake riding on the success of the PS4 than Microsoft does on the next Xbox.

Let’s say that it shouldn’t be more expensive than other “next gen” hardware being sold…

But people buy $599 phones.. so why not a $599 console? Maybe they should sell them for $x/month together with some other service. In the end you probably pay $599+y but over a timespan of 1 or 2 years

Yeah both Sony and Microsoft did, and they are trustworthy and respectable companies. :)

Yeah, even the Kutaragi-fueled "cult of hardware" surrounding the PS3 is only the barest approximation of the froth many Apple fans can work themselves into. When your product's form excites as much comment as its function, then you can start to think about charging Apple prices.

You know, it's pretty amazing how well the PS3 managed to exude that 'incredible hardware' angle. Even today, when I think of the PS3, I think of the best and most futuristic hardware ever - despite it being over half a decade old at this point.

It didn't hurt how badly the X360 shit itself those first couple of years, from a hardware standpoint. My friend still talks nonstop trash about Microsoft because of having to return two RROD consoles, despite still doing almost all his gaming on that platform to this day.

Absolutely, the hardware failures on that platform were inexcusable. I waited for a whole new batch of motherboards in like, the third generation of 360s, and the thing still died after three years. Hey, guess how long my second hand Game Boy held out? Forever. OK, not entirely fair, considering the hardware. Gamecube then? Wii? Those fuckers won't die.

My first Gamecube died because it dropped four feet onto a stone floor while running. And by "died" I mean "ran just fine for six months more with a huge crack down the middle until the lid clasp gave out from holding the whole damn thing together". So yeah, that's something.

So I went through either five or six 360's, my last one was an elite and has survived for a good 4 years now.

Here's the thing though, i've also had failures with 3 gamecubes, a dreamcast, two DSs, my GBASP, and multiple dead-on-arrival PSPs at that thing's launch. (I take good care of my stuff, i swear!)

There's also some fairly hard to pin down failure rates on launch PS2s, but some stories suggest that it was extremely high, and i think there not likewise being a massive outrage over that owes to the internet coverage not being as comprehensive as it ended up being several years later with the 360, which was firmly post-blog.

I feel like a lot of hardware failures go unreported in a way that isn't true with the 360. I mean, my examples up there, i've had loads of problems with the latter-day Nintendo systems, but there's still that perception that their stuff is built as strong as it used to be.

Clearly though, another RROD fiasco is not acceptable. (Again, FIVE OR SIX, it was so many that i can't even remember. I'm not touching the Durango if there's any evidence of there being problems.) No matter how you fudge the numbers, the 360's failure rate was incredible. Even from their standpoint, the 360 still ending up being a huge success, i don't think they'd tolerate another serious design fault like that. I've heard it said that early on in that thing's life, honoring those warranties was cutting deep into Microsoft, so many systems were being exchanged.

Yeah both Sony and Microsoft did, and they are trustworthy and respectable companies. :)

Feel free to call this bullshit, but I don't think either console connects with customers on an emotional level like Apple does.

Related: this thread containing RROD stuff and Xbox being plastered with ads stuff. This is not how one builds good will and cultivates long-term customers.

[edit] Actually feel the need to expand on this...

I bought an iPad on day one, because I loved my iPhone 3GS, which I bought because my iPod touch (1st gen) felt like the future, which I bought because I loved my MacBook (2007), which I bought because I loved my iPod classic (5th gen), which I bought because the one guy I knew with a Mac (way back in 2004) managed to win me over.

I bought a Wii on day one, because I loved my DS, which I bought (despite never owning a console before) because of the wide praise it earned with gamers and critics I trusted. I ended up buying a DS, DS lite, DSi and 3DS. I regret nothing.

They're not all perfect (both my Apple and Nintendo tech have crapped out on me) but they hit much more than they missed.

Good will is built over many years, and many products.

It didn't hurt how badly the X360 shit itself those first couple of years, from a hardware standpoint. My friend still talks nonstop trash about Microsoft because of having to return two RROD consoles, despite still doing almost all his gaming on that platform to this day.
The original PS3 hardware was problematic too—it just took longer to manifest. I had my launch 360 RROD, and my launch PS3 YLOD.

At least the updated 360 design was a lot cooler & quieter than the launch system. My slim PS3 still put out a lot of heat (though not as much as the launch PS3) and was very noisy. I hate that PWM fan they put inside it.

I don’t think I have had any other console hardware die on me yet, just the PS3 and 360. My launch Wii would probably have died too, if I had left Wii Connect 24 enabled. Because it got such infrequent use though, I always unplugged it once I was done playing.

I think this generation of hardware as a whole felt rushed, and all three systems were similarly unreliable in my experience. The only other system I’ve had trouble with was a Dreamcast, but that was a relatively simple fix by opening it up and cleaning the contacts. Never had a problem after that.

Feel free to call this bullshit, but I don't think either console connects with customers on an emotional level like Apple does.

Don’t get me started with Apple. I’ve never had so many computer hardware failures in my life. I’m just very glad I purchased AppleCare with them, because it paid for itself several times over.

With the release of OS X 10.6 onwards, they have gradually been taking the operating system in a direction that I don’t want it to go in, and it’s now at the point where I prefer Windows 7/8 over the latest incarnation of OS X. So I just built my own PC, and haven’t had any hardware problems since. And I don’t know what the general consensus is on Windows 8 around these parts, but in my opinion once you pair it with a Start Menu replacement like Start8, it is better than Windows 7 in every way—and I don’t even use Metro.

I like my iPad, and don’t have a smartphone yet, but am starting to get a similar feeling about it as I did with OS X. iOS seems to be stagnating while the other mobile operating systems are continuing to innovate.

I’m not sure I would want an Android device yet, but some of the hardware is starting to look pretty nice (such as the Xperia Z, which I like a lot more than the iPhone 5) and it’s tempting to switch. I’m just not sure the app ecosystem is there yet though.