Frenetic Pony

This is the new (console) shit!

Apologies for the title. Here's my question, the PSORB4PON3IES and the XBOXENOVER9000 are coming out. But what exactly is it that would get you to purchase them, preferably purchase day 1?

Price, services, new controllers, the "cloud", games? What exactly would you guys go "OMG Day 1 Perch trigger pulled!" for these things?

In all seriousness though, every PlayStation I've bought thus far was prompted by a new Metal Gear Solid game. I got a PS1 for MGS1, a PS2 for MGS2, another PS2 after selling my first one for MGS3, and then a PS4 for MGS4. :fart:

I can't remember why I got a 360, though. I think I just fancied one because a lot of games released on both had better 360 versions, and there were a few exclusives like Fable 2 that I really wanted.

So yeah, it's always about the games for me. The moment a game I want is released, the consoles will be on my lap for a sweet, sweet session within days.

I might buy this dumb Nvidia console handheld thing if it's reasonably priced ($200 would be nice) -

nvidiashield_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Why? Because it potentially allows for remote access (within the home, fwiw) to your PC, meaning I could have another avenue to actually play my ridiculous 400+ game Steam library.

It's like I'm back in the 90ies. It looks like a Madcatz reject. This thing leaves me dazed and confused!

If there's exclusives I want, and assuming the prices are not ridiculous, I suppose I will get both eventually.

I certainly didn't plan on it going that way this generation, but that's what ended up happening anyways.

I doubt I'll go for either on day 1. I have a group of friends I play coop stuff with on ps3, so it seems likely that we'll migrate as a group to ps4.

JonCole, I'd recommend a 50ft HDMI cable and an xbox controller + wireless receiver as a much better <$50 alternative to buying that ghastly thing.

I can't off the top of my head think of any reason why I'd buy a new console on day 1, and I doubt I'll buy any at all this gen. It is conceivable (barely) that enough interesting platform (or console) exclusive games will come out and hardware prices will drop low enough that I pick another box up eventually. But this is highly unlikely: there's a billion games I want to play on PC that I don't have enough time for as is. My PC is hooked up to my TV so if I want the couch-and-big-screen experience with next-gen graphics I'll just upgrade my computer.

I'm more likely to (eventually) get a Wii U than whatever Microsoft or Sony offers. But even this is pretty doubtful: I'm thinking of a scenario where Nintendo releases the volume and quality of first party games that it did for the Gamecube (anything earlier is not really comparable, since most titles were platform-exclusive anyway). I'm not holding my breath, but it's possible, and I wouldn't mind cluttering up my living room a bit more if it actually happens.

If the Xbox 720 launched with a fat hard drive (1TB or more) and allowed me to download all my installed games and XBLA stuff digitally, then I'd maybe consider purchasing it day one. Also some great launch titles would be a must.

JonCole, I'd recommend a 50ft HDMI cable and an xbox controller + wireless receiver as a much better <$50 alternative to buying that ghastly thing.

And $150 to get a monitor for my bathroom? >.>

It just dawned on me that if you're over at someone's house playing their WiiU there's a very good chance the tablet in your hands has been used for poop gaming.

It just dawned on me that if you're over at someone's house playing their WiiU there's a very good chance the tablet in your hands has been used for poop gaming.

If by "there's a very good chance" you mean "there's a 100% chance", you're right on the money.

I just want proper backwards compatibility out of the next consoles.

I personally have six years invested on the 360, i am deep into that ecosystem and i would be happy to be able to bring it with me.

Good backwards compatibility would make the Durango/720/X-box Next a day one system for me. (I mean, assuming nothing else about the system makes it a flaming pile of shit.)

I personally have six years invested on the 360, i am deep into that ecosystem and i would be happy to be able to bring it with me.

Good backwards compatibility would make the Durango/720/X-box Next a day one system for me.

Honestly? I don't give a damn about this. I know a lot of people do, but I've sold almost all my 360 and PS3 games and been happy about it. None of them feel "classic, I'm so going to play this 5 years from now!" like Nintendo's Gamecube stuff or etc. I enjoyed them for what they were, I don't regret buying most of them, but I'm happy to move on.

The next generation really needs to think about the competition of smartphones and iPads. And Steam. And a possible Apple TV. While consoles and PC are still where I go for gaming, it's becoming harder to ignore just how clunky even the basics of launching a game are.* Steam does well, but even then, the "DirectX is installing", etc boot up time is infuriating.

(* excuse the self-linkage, but I wrote about this a while back: http://mobeenfikree....ration-console/ )

I'm kinda disappointed in how Microsoft kinda screwed over their gamer audience. I love the 360, I have *way* too many games for it, but I can't help but look at what the dashboard (and their priorities) have become and feel a bit cynical. I wonder if this approach will backfire for them in the coming generation? Early on, it's the gamer audience that shifts units (nobody else is going to pay $300+ right?). If enough people feel the way I do (and honestly, I kinda doubt that) Microsoft may be left in a tough spot.

Anyway, I'm guessing I'll be doing it the other way around this time: PS4 first, and wait-and-see with the next Xbox. Oh and a Wii U at some point before all of that.

I doubt this is going to happen. Judging from this generation, it's *way* too expensive to pull off even a mediocre implementation. And it satisfies a tiny fraction of the gaming population. Honestly, I'd rather hang on to the old consoles and get the real deal, not some "almost" (if that) emulation.

Honestly? I don't give a damn about this. I know a lot of people do, but I've sold almost all my 360 and PS3 games and been happy about it. None of them feel "classic, I'm so going to play this 5 years from now!" like Nintendo's Gamecube stuff or etc. I enjoyed them for what they were, I don't regret buying most of them, but I'm happy to move on.

I feel that at the outer fringes of the 360's library, there have been a ton of awesome, weird games that never sold well enough to move beyond being exclusive. There are many such games that i still regularly play, and i'm not ready to give them up.

I feel that at the outer fringes of the 360's library, there have been a ton of awesome, weird games that never sold well enough to move beyond being exclusive. There are many such games that i still regularly play, and i'm not ready to give them up.

Then keep your 360 hooked up? SiN is right...it's a huge extra cost for very little return.

Personally, I think both Sony and MS have waited too long. I've moved on to PC-only land, where I can play better looking versions of console games on my TV via long ass HDMI cable and the machine is in general way more flexible, not to mention not having to deal with the mess that the xbox dashboard is now. I won't be in a rush to get either of the next gen consoles.

Nintendo consoles have traditionally been day-one from me. Specifically because there's much more of a guarantee of exactly what kind of titles you're going to see compared to other consoles. Your home console will always get at least one Zelda (probably two), your handheld will get at least one Pokémon generation, etc. If you like those games (and I generally have in the past), then you might as well pick up a system. ...Though admittedly I've been really disappointed with the way those games have been developing lately, and a lot more interested in the less-certain games like Metroid and Pikmin. Admittedly, I probably shouldn't have bought a Wii U when I did.

Other consoles for me have always been secondary. My general principle is that any system with at least one good game is worth trying; it's just a matter of waiting for it to hit the right price, and usually that price is not one that the console dips to in its natural lifespan, so I usually pick up consoles by the time they're considered retro and get all of the good stuff at once. The biggest exception to the rule for me was the PS3, which I primarily got as a Blu-Ray player and turned out to arguably be my best all-around console. The Playstation 4 will be a lot more tempting as a day-one purchase this time around knowing what kind of use I got out of it.

Short answer: shameless brand loyalty.

I'm guessing I'll be doing it the other way around this time: PS4 first, and wait-and-see with the next Xbox. Oh and a Wii U at some point before all of that.

With you all the way on this. Last time 'round, I picked up a Wii at launch (got the last one at the store I went to on launch day!), a 360 the summer after that, and then a PS3 about a year later when LittleBigPlanet was about to drop.

I have to say, Microsoft really feels like they dropped the ball late in the generation here, and Sony really seems to have learned from finally being the underdog. PS+ is amazing, the PSN exclusives that they have are fantastic, move is the only motion thing that actually works as advertised (plus, I can use it for JS Joust), and all of the basic services that should be free (Netflix functionality, etc) are. MS wants to charge me $60 a year for multiplayer services that I don't want to use and the privilege of watching things from my Netflix account. My 360 controllers' rechargable batteries are super low quality, and now shot, so I'm back on AAs, my Kinect (it was a gift, don't judge) won't even work given the size of my apartment, and pretty much anything I'd want to play on the system is better and cheaper on my PC. Sony has actually been nurturing their own new franchises, the cross buy/play stuff with Vita is a great idea (transitioning from Sound Shapes on my TV and then taking that save with me on the bus on my Vita is fantastic. More of this please.), and for my $50 a year subscription to PS+, I get something free to mess around with every Tuesday. The very first thing I beat on my Vita was Mutant Blobs Attack, and that was totally free. I still have copies of Uncharted, Wipeout, Gravity Rush, and Chronosomething that were also free and I'll be playing after I finish with Assassin's Creed. I'll probably still get whatever Microsoft is going to do because I'm a sucker and will want to play their exclusives, but the Sony has done so much right over the past couple of years to make up for their slow start with the PS3 that I have to give them props. This time around, the plan is to get a Wii U in April/May as a graduation gift to myself, a PS4 probably about 6 months to a year in, and a XboxWhateverthefuck after a year or two when it finally looks like it may be worth it.

And to agree with tegan, shameless Nintendo loyalty will be the death of me. I honestly don't care what the public opinion on the Wii U is by the time I graduate, I'm getting one for myself regardless, and I'm going to love that damned thing. I camped out for a Wii, bought every DS incarnation day 1, and will be remaining true to the "Nintendo and PC first, everything else when the time comes" philosophy that has guided my gaming since I was 4.

I think there is a severe point to be made about backwards compatibility. I'm with Sno: the next Xbox should have at least backwards compatibility for 360 games (and the odds are terrific that it will have that, because all current consoles have done this and otherwise there is small incentive to switch - not to mention how it opens up your consoles for the hundreds of games already out there on day one!), and possibly still emulation for the original Xbox. The idea of holding onto old consoles is horrible. I do not want my house to become a museum of old consoles that I have to keep just to play old games. I want a unified machine capable of playing all my shit, as much as possible. That's clean living, that's elegance, instead of becoming a warehouse of hardware.

It's even more of a good fit considering that Xbox accounts are not tied to your console but can be transferred to new ones. If backwards compatibility was not offered, what's the point of that? Your downloadables might as well have been tied to the machine.

Honestly, I'm starting to see (this late in the game, I know!) the extreme benefit of playing games on PC. Games I bought fifteen years ago can still run on the machine I have today: imagine if I had had to keep the entire range or shitty, ridiculous PC's I've owned since then! And had to hook them up every time I wanted to play Little Big Adventure 2, or Mystic Towers! That's what you're proposing, and it's ludicrous. Fuck the extra costs to the console makers: this is the basic service that they should offer in their new hardware, or I can't guarantee I won't just stop bothering with the whole sector when I see my entire, expensive library reduced to unplayable status.

As for day one perch, I doubt I'll do that regardless of the features offered. History tells us the first generation of consoles breaks down way too easily and has tons of things wrong with them. This will happen again. Wait until the price drops after the first year, play all the amazing games still coming out for the current console until then instead. Which will be astounding because the console's full potential will be used.

Don't get me wrong: I don't like having a million consoles under my TV either. Personally, I think back-compat would be nice (but not a deal breaker). And more than that, I think the idea of preserving history (i.e.: these games) is very important, especially as emulation is going to get harder with each passing generation.

But you have to look at it from a cold, hard, business perspective: "We've spent $X million on back compat, do we data to prove that its inclusion sold $X million worth of consoles?" If the numbers add up (and hey, they might!) then we'll have back compat. What I'm saying is that I doubt they will.

My feeling on the matter is that this was really the first console generation where simply keeping the old hardware isn't going to allow me to keep playing these games i love, there is so much online integration in these games that many are completely unplayable without patches and DLC and active servers.

If Microsoft shows a next-gen console with comprehensive backwards compatibility, my idealistic and hopeful mind will take it as a gesture towards those services probably continuing to operate into the forseeable future. (The skeleton in the closet here is of course the 360's own compatibility with the X-box, though that was really anything but comprehensive backwards compatibility. The original X-box was also a much easier limb to sever, its library was much shallower.)

The same is all true of Sony and the PS3, of course.

Much of it is also true of most big-budget PC games now, and many indie games as well.

I don't like that we're venturing into territory where games are so reliant upon outside factors that are never guaranteed, it makes them so much more ephemeral.

I mean, the argument you're making Rodi, it applies to old console games too, but how many modern PC games does it actually apply to? Everything relies on Steam, Origin, GFW, uPlay or some other such service, or at worst has its own totally fucked up authentication servers. (Or all of the above and more in layers.)

All of this stuff, this is the kind of shit that is going to give historians of this medium nightmares in forty years.

Oh absolutely, I hate it. I'm banking on Steam to exist forever, essentially. But if it does, at least the PC as a system will ensure I can play all old games (barring always online server stuff and whatnot). I have no answer for myself except to continue this tortuous cycle. I mean, jumping ship entirely to PC would be viable if there weren't so many console exclusives around.

Personally I'm not seeing any compelling reasons in the future to switch from my Master PC Gaming Race habits.