• "Nintendo will fail"
  • "Indies will fail"
  • "Kickstarter will fail"
  • "Android will fail"
  • "Developers will fail"

Ah, but there are some rays of sunshine:

• The Vita will make a comeback!
  • Zynga will make a comeback!

It is perverse, though, that the Gamasutra staff is essentially stating Nintendo will be out of business by the end of the year because of what they released, while predicting exciting things from Microsoft and Sony who have released and have shown nothing console-wise.

Well, it's hardly a comprehensive vision, just a couple of editors stating their personal musings. Some of it is based on data, some on wishful thinking. Shouldn't read too much in it, really.

I can't imagine Nintendo still making hardware in 5 years, saying it's going to happen this year seems a bit pessimistic.

And we all see where the "AAA" market is going, though I still that'll take a couple years to get completely shook out, which is still mildly depressing because it's pretty much the only place that'll keep my bills paid.

Also, their "Vita will make a comeback" is fleshed out as a "please please please let this be true" rather than an actual prediction. All in all, Gamasutra doesn't seem to think the games industry will exist by the time we get to 2014.

I'd say Nintendo still has plenty of good prospects on the handheld market, even if and when they have to cede the console one. I'd worry a lot more about Sony's viability, since they've been bleeding money for years and years and it's just not stopping. For some reason I feel Microsoft is going to be A-OK.

Triple-A will stay on, it'll all just get consolidated into a few big companies all producing Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. The credits for Revelations listed five Ubi studios working in tandem. That's the future.

Triple-A will stay on, it'll all just get consolidated into a few big companies all producing Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. The credits for Revelations listed five Ubi studios working in tandem. That's the future.

It is the future but consolidation doesn't support the amount of people working today and neither does 10,000 kickstarters starting up a day. So my bleak outlook is still a bit warranted.

At least we're seeing some wonderful games lately, so as a gamer, it's pretty awesome right now.

worse comes to worse Nintendo could make a free to play Pokemon MMO RPG. Everyone in the world would play that. Add TF2 style crates and unusual hats they would be financially sound for a millenia.

I'd say Nintendo still has plenty of good prospects on the handheld market, even if and when they have to cede the console one.

I've learned to never assume that Nintendo is going to fail, because that company has consistently turned horrible situations into positive ones.

Devil's advocate for a bit though, if the Wii U fails and they concede the home console market, the other problem here is that the handheld business, being what it is now, isn't likely to itself support a company like Nintendo. I mean, Nintendo is a company of life-long employees, it's not a company has traditionally been willing to cut the fat in tough times.

Nintendo either ends up gutted or hemorrhaging money if the Wii U fails, it's all bad.

This sentiment and possible eventuality is incredibly depressing to me, because the threatened middle ground is what i love most. Well-staffed studios trying to create original IP, pushing forward with ill-advised expenditures and big ambitious designs, shooting for the moon and not quite getting there. That's the shit i thrive on.

Nintendo either ends up gutted or hemorrhaging money if the Wii U fails, it's all bad.

Maybe they'll make new games then.

Maybe they'll make new games then.

Whoa, hey now. A company on the decline trying something new? Has that ever happened?

Whoa, hey now. A company on the decline trying something new? Has that ever happened?

Acclaim. :devil:

Platinum's other early 2013 brawler is also of great interest to me. (Shit, and they're apparently going to have Bayonetta 2 out sometime this year too.)

Pretty much just skip to 3:20, unless ridiculous over-the-top violence offends you, then probably don't watch.

Speaking of brawlers, Ninja Theory's DMC reboot just came out and apparently it's pretty fantastic, but doesn't quite compare to the polish of the Capcom games. (That's my interpretation of things, at least. I don't know how much of the latter negativity is borne specifically out of the really putrid fan backlash, but DMC3 and DMC4 are really tightly designed and technical games, while the Ninja Theory games i've played are rather clunky.)

The games press has gotten into this completely crazy group think about Nintendo, like there's all this pent up disdain over the Wii and they're waiting to be proven right. It's a lot of weird, wishful thinking.

Okay, in the spirit of positivity, here are my predictions for 2013:

• Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all make game consoles and games for them, and some of these turn out to be really quite good.
  • Lots of games are released for iOS and Android, and although many are cheap crap, some are really quite good.
  • The Kickstarter harvest comes in, and most of them produce games that are more or less what they promised, even if not what some fans dreamed they would be in their wildest fantasies. Also, one or two of them ARE what the fans dreamed they would be in their wildest fantasies.
  • Having survived many of years of "PCs are dying!", the PC will continue to enjoy a few years of "PCs are the future!"
  • Double Fine still alive and kickin'
  • adventuregamers.com still, somehow, for some reason, alive and kickin'
  • Idle Thumbs will do a redesign, drop some content, add some content, but still have these forums
  • lobotomy42 will not change his user avatar

Sounds good to me!

The games press has gotten into this completely crazy group think about Nintendo, like there's all this pent up disdain over the Wii and they're waiting to be proven right. It's a lot of weird, wishful thinking.

I have never understood why anyone still tries to predict Nintendo's death when they continue to defy it time and time again. In particular I hate hearing about how the iPhone will somehow rise up and kill the DS line when they've shared the market for more than half a decade now.

I have never understood why anyone still tries to predict Nintendo's death when they continue to defy it time and time again. In particular I hate hearing about how the iPhone will somehow rise up and kill the DS line when they've shared the market for more than half a decade now.

Get ready for the "Apple will kill Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony etc." when Apple revamps their Apple TV to play games.

Smart TV's are a complete dead end. There might be a small surge in their popularity, but they will prove another '3D', which was a CES darling for a few years and is now all but gone. THANKFULLY.