brkl

Miasmata - Ye Olde Cartography, Falling Down Hills, Drowning, Getting Eaten by a Grue Simulator

Yeah that show is so damn good. Everything that crew does is pretty much the best. Also recommend The Might Boosh, IT Crowd and Snuff Box.

While I did have problems falling down at first, I was quickly able to gauge which hills were too steep to walk down and generally fell only when being chased after the first hour or two. I've got to ask, are you folks who are falling down all the time running a lot? Your balance is much much worse when running.

Spoilers for dealing with the beast:

The AI for the beast is based on a house cat, so there are a few things that you can do.

First off, if you run, it will chase you however, if you stand up to it, it's less interested in getting in a fight. The old stand by with wild animals of slowly backing away works fairly well.

Second, it doesn't generally spawn near water, though if it has already spawned it has no problem following you there. Try staying near the edge of the water until you know exactly where you're going, then knifing inland to grab the flower you need and right back out to the shore. This has a side effect of making it easier to triangulate since there are less trees in the way.

Third, as others have mentioned, you're safe in houses and it will often chase burning objects so throw torches and duck behind buldings.

Edit: I loved this game by the way, you just have to be patient and take it slow. The monster was an annoyance at times, but with a little work you can avoid it most of the time. I do kinda wish they had a monster-less mode though.

Yeah that show is so damn good. Everything that crew does is pretty much the best. Also recommend The Might Boosh, IT Crowd and Snuff Box.

i couldn't agree more. Matt Berry is one of the coolest guys in the world. His musics pretty good too, he also did a really dry BBC Radio 4 comedy called "I. regress", Brick Top is in that too.

Snuff Box:

Gosh I love this game. Just getting lost in the woods is so intense. Not enough games are like this, and since I've played the two good STALKER games and Far Cry 2, what else is there?

About cartography? I think this is the only one. If you like running scared in the woods maybe you'd like the plethora of Slenderman games out there?

Hi guys,

I too just finished the game and thought I'd swing by the forums again since it was through the podcast that I was first introduced to, and gained interest in, Miasmata. I'm here to share a bit of my two cents. According to Steam I've played this for 18.7 hours and managed to get 12 of the 27 achievements, I managed to get more than that but there seems to be some sort of glitch with regards to Steam picking up on the synthesis of certain 'items', but that sounds like nitpicking, so I'll move on. I really enjoyed several aspects of this game, and I believe its truly admirable that this game was made by only two persons, two brothers that were able to implement some interesting ideas to a first-person game, things like the effect of terrain and inclination on its traversal, or the implementation of cartography. I also enjoyed the weather effects, and the day-night cycle. I found the cloak and dagger (pun :P ) mystery and the story premise very interesting. But this 'game' is definitely not for everyone. I have mixed feelings about it due to the fact that all these interesting elements (mentioned above) were not fully realized/fleshed out (a limitation of it being a two man team on a made-from-scratch engine, maybe?), so I'm left with a lot of "what if" moments that will keep this memorable, fresh take on the first person genre, far to obtuse for the 'average joe', and rightly so...?

Miasmata is a first person experience (FPE?) more than it is a game, and it is a great one, with truly innovative mechanics, a mixed bag in the visual department (gotta love those vistas, but don't zoom in much) and a hit-or-miss execution, that is never horrible, but it seems anachronistic in this day-and-age, where its innovation only sharpens the lack of certain tropes we've come to expect from the first-person genre.

Still if 'you' are still reading this (you know who 'you' are), give it a go, because if you are here, reading this, 'you' are not the 'average joe', and you will likely enjoy the experience. I feel every game developer, aspiring, or seasoned, should give this one a go.

cheers.

Wow, didn't expect Miasmata to get a (belated) video review from GameTrailers.

Hope this promotes the game and new-ish genre

Just saw the review, caveat emptor(er.. viewer?), the review basically touches on all of the aspects of the game, including some that may be considered spoiler territory. They are also using the new review format (which abandons divisions in the scoring for a unified *magic* total, it also now includes the writer and editor of the review. The score was:

).

I believe the review may actually help boost interests simply because of the exposure it will grant the game on the gametrailers site, but I was not a fan of how at times the review is almost clinical in its analysis of the game and certain of its tropes and then switches to more opinion heavy approach.

Thanks for sharing Tundra.

cheers.

I'd like to see a speedrun of Miasmata. Didn't find any on google, and probably not going to bother trying one myself. This is your chance to create the only Miasmata speedrun on the internet!

Done

What the... Is this abusing glitches or something? I'm pretty sure have the items you need appear out of nowhere!

If you place items on the synthesis table or the examination tray and then load a save file, they remain there. So, the video is using the "New Game+" mode that the developers didn't know was in the game.

Darkplace... nice!

I spent this weekend skiing, which turned out not to be such a good idea because it hadn't snowed in the Tahoe area in awhile, so the snow on the mountain was pretty icy. I ended up taking a couple of gnarly falls down some steep slopes.

Cue today: I have the day off, and I'm feeling pretty sore & beat up. I download Miasmata, and I am totally feeling the vibe of being some pretty weak dude that falls down hills a lot.

I encountered the creature once. I tried running away from him, but he caught up with me pretty easily. I was in some swamp area so I just waded as deep into the water as I could. Then the creature left. Not bad! Hopefully I can keep having encounters along those lines...

Yeah, it might have been mentioned before but at the beginning the beast isn't as aggressive... That will change soon enough! XP