melmer

Metro: Last Light

Hmm... I've been thinking about 'HD' remakes and similar updates. Are you disappointed for monetary reasons or do you feel your experiences with the game(s) are lesser now? Both? Just curious where your irritation stems from.

Its a very mild irritation at best. I'm only ever going to play through something like this once so i'd like that one off experience to be the best it can be. In the case of Metro i purposefully held off from playing it as i had heard a rumour that a next gen version was in the pipe line. So i guess the irritation comes down to not being able to make an informed decision whether to play now or wait.

And it is on a game by game basis.....

I'm perfectly happy i played The Last of US and its DLC on ps3, i was glad i was able to experience it during that launch window when everyone was talking/writing about it as that in its self enriched the experience

Where as i could've happily waited for Tomb raider and Metro, purely because i was in no hurry to play those games. Although Tomb raider really blow me away, but i wouldn't have know that until i played it.

I wish i had waited for a next gen GTA V, i had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind the whole time i was playing it which contributed to me quitting it half way through

Next on the list will be Bioshock infinite Burial at Sea. I'm waiting for the DLC to go on sale but will there be a next gen complete edition some time next year? All i want to do is be able to make an informed decision, i may still choose to play it now instead of waiting. Although i fully understand why these developers can't/won't reveal their plans so early

I can't imagine that the PC version of Last Light will look that much better than it did a year ago, though I suspect the current-gen versions will outclass the 360 & PS3 offerings by a substantial amount. Are they updating Metro 2033 for this release?

I'd imagine they're actually doing more work to metro 2033, updating the graphics and probably changing the gameplay to match last light :0 I think last light on PC will remain unchanged, it more about bring the pretty graphics to the PS4

Picked this up on the cheap during the current Humble Store spring sale. I'm really enjoying it so far. It scratches the itch I've had since I built my PC for a smarter-than-average FPS single player experience. Also cannot imagine that they could retool the graphics all that much--I had to turn off PhysX because it was eating my frame-rate for breakfast.

YES

Edited to add: Knee jerk reaction.  I haven't played Last Light, but 2033 would have been worth it to me just for the first couple of hours and the uniqueness of the world.  That might not be as neat if you've played Last Light.

I love the look and feel of Last Light enough that I am certain I'd like to spend more time in that world.

I still need to finish Last Light. Maybe I'll wrap that up this weekend and then roll into 2033 instead of picking up the new Wolfenstein just yet. I just ordered a 500GB SSD and I don't really have the room for Wolfentstein anyway, now that I think about it.

4A recently made a statement on their Steam community forum about Redux - http://steamcommunity.com/app/286690/discussions/0/34094415777794897/

Sounds like LL Redux will almost certainly not be worth it for people who already own the game on PC. With it coming out in just a couple weeks, I was considering the purchase but if they readily admit that it really only holds substantial value if you don't own the DLC (which is something I actually doubt) or care about the new Survival mode (I don't, personally) then I'll pass.

I just picked up the remasters on PS4. I bought it on the US PSN, so it's going to take a while to download. Really excited about these games, missed out on them the first time round.

Biggest complaint with 2033 so far - the sensitivity of the controls is garbage. I've got them put to the top and it still takes forever to do a 180. 

Second biggest complaint - normal difficulty is incredibly easy, hardcore is too difficult. Bleh. 

Strange. I'm playing with whatever the default mouse sensitivity is and it feels fine.

I'm about two thirds through 2033 Redux. It looks and feels so much better than the original, but there's not a lot of new content.

Well, I tried to play LL on my PC and it just destroyed my rig. I recently had to swap video cards with my wife because I was having some serious AMD driver issues and I didn't really feel like clean installing Windows to try to fix it. So now I'm stuck with my GTX 560 Ti 1GB from a while ago and it is comparatively garbage to what I had previously.

I was actually doing okay, graphically, until one of the first areas where you really have to stealth otherwise a bunch of dudes spawn and some alarms go off. As soon as the alarms hit, a bunch of those spinning alert lights came on and tanked my framerate to probably sub-10 fps. I tried fiddling with the resolution, effects, graphics quality, etc to no effect. After I somehow managed to kill all the dudes, I shot out the lights one by one and each one I shot bumped my framerate by about 4-5 until I was done and it was back to a very wobby 30-ish.

I guess I'm just going to put down the game until I buy a new video card (I figure I won't take my old one back from the wife, she actually plays more PC games than me and deserves a good card). This game is still demanding as all hell. I don't think getting that Redux upgrade is going to make much of a difference, from what I understand it really isn't about performance for PC LL.

Did you turn off PhysX? Geforce Experience defaulted to turning PhysX on, which crippled the game on my 760. Turning it off solved everything.

Hmm, I don't recall seeing that option in-game. I'll double check. Thanks!

What about SSAA? It brings my 660 Ti to its knees, without it I get 60+ fps on high settings.

I really just wanted to relax with a game that didn't take much thought tonight and finally fired up Last Light.  It turns out I find creeping around in the dark and stabbing dudes in the neck to be extremely relaxing.  I'm not sure that's a good thing. 

Since I just started playing the redux edition of Metro 2033 I thought I'd post about it here, as it doesn't seem to have a thread of its own. (Hope that's ok!)

So because I had heard that Ranger Mode was the most immersive and 'proper' way to play this game, I've chosen that for my first playthrough. Basically this turns off all the health, ammo and objective UI, and leaves you with only the in-world situational indicators to figure out how you're doing: so you look at the light indicator on your watch, the needle on your compass, the objective on your clipboard; you see the fog on your mask, you hear the sound of your breathing, you count the rounds left in your transparent magazine. It's all intensely detailed and really cool.

Turns out that Ranger Mode is more difficult than I had anticipated, but not for the reasons you'd think. The game actually strips out ALL the user interface icons and ALL tutorial and mission prompts, not just hints and your ammo indicator. On a basic level, not only is there no 'loot glint', there's no button prompt at all when you're looking at an object that can be picked up or interacted with - so I've just been nosing through every corner and mashing the square button at everything that looks like it might not be nailed down in the hope of getting ammo and medkits. And I don't know what any of that stuff actually looks like. 

There's also a bunch of essential actions that you really need to know about that Ranger mode won't tell you about! You've got to change the filter on your gas masks, pump up your pneumatic guns, recharge the little battery that powers your flashlight - and I wouldn't have known how to do any of this if I hadn't looked it up on the internet.

I don't mean to suggest the experience was bad; it's actually kind of fascinating. It feels much like when I tried to play something like System Shock as a kid without any kind of manual or reference to explain the arcane interface to me. It's really made me think about how much information modern video games cram into UI and tutorial pop-ups, and how we never expect to research how to play a game before we jump into it. And a lot of that stuff is awful clutter but a lot of it is good and useful and, on balance, probably not worth giving up.

I really don't feel that losing the button prompt to pick up stuff helps with the immersion much. But on the other hand - in a side tunnel, early on in the game, I found a cool new gun. And there was nothing at all to tell me what it was or how to use it or how much damage it would do until I found something to shoot. And it was wonderful.

I too started playing 2033 Redux this week, but was not patient enough to play past the first area on Ranger. Restarted on Normal and have been enjoying smooth sailing. It was too frustrating not having a clue how anything worked and then getting destroyed by every monster. Sure I could have stuck with it, but I just wasn't in that kind of mood. I think I'll do Ranger mode in Last Light once I have a better sense of how everything works.

I'm still pressing on with this, though I'm really starting to wish they had separated out 'minimal UI' and 'having low health and doing high damage' as difficulty concepts. As it is, Ranger mode combines them both, and even on what the game calls Ranger Normal, it's possible to die incredibly quickly to just about anything. And because the variety of the encounters is sometimes very limited, I'm not convinced that the game is built to support the high level of 'realistic' damage that this difficulty suggests.

The main effect is to make me feel incredibly fragile and vulnerable at all times, which is sometimes nice in a Far Cry 2 sort of way. It's quite satisfying to sneak around human encampments, popping off human soldiers with my pneumatic rifle and then absolutely bricking it when I get seen; but the combat against the monsters just feels like a horrible slog that I can only survive by standing in a certain place and praying that my companion gets between me and their spawn point. Which, to be fair, is probably how that would feel in real life.  -_-