Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

Things That Improve Your Life

Very fantastic site, thank you a lot! Seems like a site that will stay in my internet-life forever now. I like that it has a 'Random Item'-button and that it doesn't have comments.

Wow, happy to see there are others here doing the vegan thing too. I went vegan about a year ago and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I recommend the movie Forks Over Knives. It is one big factor that convinced me to try it out and I haven't looked back since.

And I hear that about sounding preachy. I pretty much keep my veganism a secret because of the horrible reactions I've gotten from people when I tell them.

A rabbi, a priest, a nun and a vegan go to a bar. The vegan spends the whole time talking about how they are a vegan and no one can get a word in.

Everyone likes to joke about how vegans always mention veganism but that's sort of silly because it's only vegans who always mention veganism that always mention veganism. Vegans who don't go around talking about it don't get counted as vegans by anyone and thus they think that the only vegans who exist are the ones who speak up.

The best way to mollify skeptics is to cook something good.

Also, Toffuti Ricotta & Daiya is a thing that improves my life. Stuffed shells, BACK ON THE TABLE.

My girlfriend has progressed from vegetarian to vegan over the last year or so which means that while I still eat meat myself, I eat a lot less of it. As you mention Daiya, I have to ask, is there any other alternative? She loves the stuff, but I can't stand it. Finding a middle ground cheese-substitute when I'm cooking for her would be great.

If you are looking for a good cheese tasting substitute, nutritional yeast is excellent. I grew up on that stuff and it has a kind of cheesy, nutty flavor. Goes great on toast and popcorn and I use it in a lot of cases to replace cheese. It is also incredibly healthy.

I don't think anything functions better than Daiya as a melting/binding element. I'm sort far enough out that I don't remember flavors. My interest is primarily mechanical rather than flavor, effecting a cheesy lasagne, ziti, or burrito. Mozzarella is a pretty mild flavor to begin with. If you're omnivorous nothing is going to match the real thing I'm afraid.  

There is a company Bute Island that makes this stuff called Sheese, which comes in a good smoky flavored block, great for crackers, but not quite as melty, though I just looked and they've added melting varieties. I've only seen them at Whole Foods.

Vegan Gourmet is a lesser Daiya. All the rice stuff is bleh. Trader Joes is someplace between rice & Vegan Gourmet.

As Zeus said, Nutritional Yeast is a great supplement, a solid base for a fake mac n cheese, though when mixed with liquid, it gets creamy rather than melty/stretchy.

This is kind of ancillary to the cheese discussion, but have you guys tried seitan? one of my favourite protein meaty thingies, with Quorn a close second (though that has egg in it for you vegans).

I think seitan is in Tofurky which I find delicious. I have actually always preferred the flavor of Tofurky over any deli meats even before I was vegan but I guess I'm weird like that.

Yeah it's sweet!  Seitan is surprisingly easy to make, though a little time consuming. The cost difference and volume yield of making your own versus buying West Soy boxes is shocking. 

It's a bummer to me if Daiya really is the best for melting, because what really started getting me down on using it for things is how plasticky and gross it makes nachos as opposed to the real deal. That's really my main problem with going vegetarian. It's not a difficult thing for my partner, as she never really liked meats and eggs and such to begin with. I absolutely love them though, and have never found substitutes to come anywhere near satisfying. Actually, seitan is one of the few that bucks this trend. There's a "vegan jerky" that uses seitan, and to me it's as close to emulating the experience of eating ribs (minus the bone, of course) that any substitute I've ever seen has come. I really like that stuff.

I was lucky enough that I've never really cared too much whether the food I was eating was really delicious or not, I just wanted to get my sustenance so I could continue on with my business. Of course I would eat what sounded good like anyone else but when I decided to change diets it was more of "Eh, guess this is the food I eat now, I'm sure my palate will adjust". I say if you find it too difficult to make the full change then don't. I think the bigger takeaway is that animal based product should be a much lower percentage of your diet than it is for the average American. Simply put, just eat a lot more veggies and fruits. In a lot of Asian countries, especially in rural areas, meat is a very tiny portion of their diet and as a result they are generally healthier than those that live in urban areas and consume larger quantities.

And don't worry too much about having a different diet than your partner, I still cook steak for my wife and we are happy as can be with me eating my way and her eating her way.

Yeah, that's pretty much the equilibrium we arrived at. I mostly eat meat now for a special occasion or because it's free (marked out sandwiches at work, for example). I have always really liked veggies and have no problem with them being the vast majority of my diet, but I like meat too much to give it up altogether.

A couple years ago I joined an APA amateur pool league because I love shooting pool. It improved my life. If you also love pool I recommend checking to see if there is an APA league where you live (I think it might only be in the US). It is super laid back and we all just drink and have a good time as we play our league matches.

Man I used to love playing pool.  The closest I've ever been to playing in a league was during college I played intramural pool.  I had a friend who played APA pool.  I kept meaning to see if there's an APA league around me but I always forgot.  Thanks for the reminder Zeus!

No problem, I just finished playing my matches tonight and as I was on the verge of winning I fucking scratched on the 8 and lost since my opponent was also on the hill. Oh well, I got a point for our team and had some delicious dos equis so I consider that a win.

You are quickly becoming my secret bff on these forums btw. Not in a creepy stalkery way but more in a "whoa, this dude also rewrites his sentences 1000 times, loves pummeling pikachu in smash bros, loves playing pool, and shoots lasers out of his eyes" kind of way.

Man what I just said was awkward. Feel free to be totally creeped out. I probably would...

You are quickly becoming my secret bff on these forums btw. Not in a creepy stalkery way but more in a "whoa, this dude also rewrites his sentences 1000 times, loves pummeling pikachu in smash bros, loves playing pool, and shoots lasers out of his eyes" kind of way.

Man what I just said was awkward. Feel free to be totally creeped out. I probably would...

Um... thanks?

What you going to do with all that junk, all that junk inside your trunk?

So anyways, I had wood when I woke up this morning and it caused a kink in the hose resulting in a forked stream that got all over the bathroom wall.

Sorry for creeping you out Secretasianman, yet another instance of something that sounded clever in my head but came out as "what the fuck was that?" in text. My bad. But your still my bff.