melmer

VG Mutha Fuckin As (Holy crapping cow)

I'm really happy for the guys, but it kind of sucks that their recognition is an award less meaningful than a movie review from The Seattle Markdown Times.

2dbszs9.jpg

They were both within 10 feet of Sam Jackson and didn't take his arm!

I award this: forum post of the century!

Fucking best. The fact that Sean and Jake are up there is just hilarious. Could've used a Baboo, but I'll take it. Congratulations, guys.

Even if it's the Spike VGA's this is pretty damn cool. Congrats Jake, Sean, and the rest of Telltale.

The contrast between the show crass and the range of games awarded is making my head spin.

I must confess that, looking at which games sell hugely, I thought the silent majority of gamers really looked to games to have their narrow minded adolescent fantasies full-filled.

That didn't make me want to make games which reinforces those views; but it made me expect that 'higher' sorts of games would only appeal to a minority. And that status quo was fine by me; I accept it the same way that I accept the disappointing fact that Transformers movies always sell more than The Master.

But this year's major VG's awards - which are 100% based on gamers vote I believe - went to Journey, The Walking Dead, X-Com and Dishonored; and none of those really tap into the fantasies that I thought were at the core of mainstream console/PC game consumption.

And the fact that the whole presentation of VGA's rode on an endless parade of booth-babes in skimpy outfits (even the violin player, dammit), fake enthusiasm for military power fantasy and useless profanity, was a dramatic realization that the media and the market analysts might be completely wrong in what they think player's aspirations are.

And what frightens me and pisses me off, is that I know for a fact that these views have a strong foothold in big studios because media and analysts gets strong credit there. Even I was convinced.

So interestingly, despite its abysmal lack of interest, the show has renewed my faith in gamers as a whole - based on the somewhat OK hypothesis that the ones voting are a representative sample - and I hope we as an industry, takes some strong clue from it.

Also, eat that hat Pachter!

Also, eat that hat Pachter!

You are putting way too much thought into one of the most overtly sleezy things on modern television.

DARK SOULS TWO

stuff

Yeah, the disparity between the award nominees and the absolute garbage filler stuff was really strange, I was expecting Blops 2 and Halo 4 to get awarded everything. It also seems odd that Jackson's whole shtick existed even though he was MCing for what appeared to be a room full of adults and people in the industry.

The whole thing left me feeling baffled and ill.

Hate to break it to you vimes, but the awards are not voted on by the fans. Its a handful of journalists who do the voting. Don't get too high on how worldly gamers are.

On the bright side, it could be introducing games like Journey and Walking Dead to people who traditionally only care about stuff like Halo or Call of Duty.

I was thrilled to see that neither Call of Duty nor Halo won an award.

I haven't watched the show and I don't think I will, I just want to join to HUZZAH for Walking Dead chorus! HUZZAH! Congratulations!